Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic Oil in Gearboxes

I'm kickin' around the idea of changing to a synthetic oil in my gearboxes and was wondering if any one has tried this yet. If so, were there any consequences to the change,(leaks, etc.).What got me interested in the change was the oil called Royal Purple. If everything I have read on this product is true, even with the added per quart cost(About 5.00)the pro's out way the con's. If you would like to check it out the address is <a href="http://www.calind.com/mainpg-f.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.calind.com/mainpg-f.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.calind.com/mainpg-f.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.calind.com/mainpg-f.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.calind.com/mainpg-f.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.calind.com/mainpg-f.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.calind.com/mainpg-f.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.calind.com/mainpg-f.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.calind.com/mainpg-f.htm" target="_blank">http://www.calind.com/mainpg-f.htm</a></a></a></a></a></a></a></a></a> . Let me know what you think because reduced pinsetter wear and the idea of only needing an oil change every ten year sounds pretty good to me.

Re: Synthetic Oil in Gearboxes

I always stayed with the gear lube(Penzoil)and never used anything else.Draining the gearboxes yearly let's you see the wear by looking at the gear lube and "seeing" how much(if any)bronze is in it,too much bronze and you know a problem is coming up.Change the gearbox lube yearly or you may ask for trouble you may have been able to catch sooner.To me it was never worth the risk to let the lube go any longer,besides it was not that expensive to buy.
    NOTE: I have heard some guy's that screened their lube by using a tight meshed screen to clean it up then re-use it,not good advice!
    Change it yearly and use new stuff.

Comment

Ya know..........Thats really good advice. Prevention......or in our line of work...Preventive Mantainance. I opt to change oil and look for signs of future headaches rather than dump and forget. I saw a deck "let loose" and drop to the deck one from a worn gear and believe me.......its not just an ugly sight....its a big job rebuilding and one that could be avoided.

...rob
      Space is the Place!

Comment

I agree with nighthawk
        Changing oil every year with gear lube has its
        advantages. As nighthawk said, you see if you're
        getting wear on the worm gear. We made it a practice to change oil yearly and visually check
        the worm gear with light &amp; mirror if appearance
        of brass dust appears in oil.
        Worm gears last a long long time using standard
        gear lube at proper levels.
        Yearly changing is a very easy inexpensive job.
        We always did it the same time we overhauled the
        gearbox clutch. The pans already off leaving the
        removal of the plug. Good luck.

retired &amp; still learning [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

molligan
        molligan

Comment

Oils break down due to heat and contaminents. The heat that todays oils are subjected to in todays automotive world are extreme. In crankcases, contaminents come from the blow-by developed in the combustion chamber. Pinsetters do not develop the extreme temperatures nor do they have a combustion chamber. PM schedules for changing gear box oil wasn't developed because the oil would wear out or break down. It is done to "see" inside the gear box by examining what comes out. By using a more sophisticated oil doesn't mean not needing to "see" inside the gear box every year. Use the newer oil, but change it every year. Also, clean the sight glass so you can see through it. I couldn't tell you how many centers I've seen where the sight glasses were unreadable.

We have improved the pinsetter in other areas with newer technology. There is no reason that the inside of the gear box shouldn't benefit from newer and better ideas. But, still stick to the prescribed PM...
          TSM & TSM Training Development
          Main Event Entertainment
          480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

JBEES is right on as far as the temperature issue. Brunswick has always said that the gear boxes run at such a slow speed, including 27 to 1 speeds, that it is not necessary to change to a premium oil for extra protection. Its not needed. I always use Mobil 90 weight from Grainger, and change it every year. Using a synthetic oil and dumping it every year is waste of money.

Comment

I agree with these posts that the extra money is not needed for synthetic oil.
              Drain your oil and re-fill it on a regular basis and you will be fine.
              I saw about the sight glass.
              If you keep the gearboxes and curtains clean you can notice an oil leak coming because you will see the drips running down the side of the gearbox or starting to show up on the curtain.
              When I had a leak starting I would add some STP oil treatment tto the gearbox to help thicken the oil and this stuff is so slick I think it actually might help the oil.
              I took a welding rod and removed some of the outside coating just leaving the rod at one end.
              I would dip it in the gearbox through the fill hole and use it as a dip stick.
              I filled a gearbox and made a mark in the rod so I had a gauge to check a gearbox that I thought was running low.
              Graham

Comment

The best way to check for the proper oil level, open up the port hole at the top of the gearbox and while the machine is cycling if the gear is bringing oil to the top, your ok. As long as there is enough oil at the bottom of the gear box to have the gear bring it up its enough.

Comment

If I remember right, there was a glass peak ho;e on the 7 pin side of the gearbox. The oil level should be half way up the glass. It is a visual check ( my type of job ) [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Good luck

retired &amp; still learning

molligan
                  molligan

Comment

"The best way to check for the proper oil level, open up the port hole at the top of the gearbox and while the machine is cycling if the gear is bringing oil to the top, your ok. As long as there is enough oil at the bottom of the gear box to have the gear bring it up its enough."

You are kidding...aren't you? And I guess if your car is still leaking oil on your driveway, it must have enough oil in it. That sight glass was installed for a reason. Not to let it get coated over so it is opaque and you have to invent other ways to tell how much oil is left in it. Clean it properly and read it. For you mechanics that are learning...don't take shortcuts to keep from doing proper PM. Clean the sight glass and keep it half covered with fresh oil inside the gear box. That is the proper way to measure the level of the oil.

I probably upset a few of you...but I don't believe in taking shortcuts to keep from doing proper PM. If you disagree...feel free to speak up.
                    TSM & TSM Training Development
                    Main Event Entertainment
                    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

The sight glasses work well, but can still be a bit hard to read at times. I made a dipstick out of a REALLY long screwdriver. I (using the sight glass) found a machine that was filled properly, inserted the screwdriver into the top of the GB, observed the level and marked it. I then cut a small groove all the way around the screw driver where the oil level should be. This really makes the task of checking the oil more exact. Also you can somewhat tell if there are any metal shavings in the oil this way. Just don't check it like this while its running. The screwdriver rests on top of the 2-1 spur gear so it's the same on all machines.

I still use the sight glass for quick checks on the level.
                      <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

JBEES gave good advice about not taking short cuts and doing PM. Keeping machinery running well is not a hard job. It's when short cuts are taken, things getting rigged, &amp; minor problems ignored until they're big problems, that's when
                        the hard work &amp; head aches start. The job of Brunswick mechanic is not a hard job if things are
                        done right. If it was, I'd have chosen a different trade a long time ago. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

molligan [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                        molligan

Comment

Okay...This thread got me thinking. I was about due to check levels in the GB's anyway so I did it today. Out of 20 machines...8 were low (slightly) and 1 the oil looked like mud. This is why I prefer the dip stick method over the glass. Just looking at the glass, it looked fine. On the dip stick it was obviously screwed. The stick gives you an oppertunity to SEE the oil without changing it, which makes it more of a PM tool than a quick fix.

I changed the oil in this machine for now, but needless to say, I feel a 4-1 job coming on.

BTW..not due for an oil change for 4 months.

Don't get me wrong..I agree with JBEES 100%, I just think that there are some better ways to do some things than what the book reccomends.
                          <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by BrunsAce:

Don't get me wrong..I agree with JBEES 100%, I just think that there are some better ways to do some things than what the book reccomends.
                            [/QUOTE]

Amen to that!!!!!!!!
                            Space is the Place!

Comment

This doesn't pertain to Synthetic oil but I thought I'd throw it in.
                              I've been in centers where the mechanic claimed he has'nt changed the oil because of the allen drain plug (old style) is rounded &amp; they couldn't break them loose.
                              What works great is take an allen wrench sticking the long end in drain plug, spot weld the wrench to the plug, turn allen wrench with a regular open end wrench, and it will break loose. Use a die grinder to cut the end off your allen wrench making it shorter. You can get about 8 plugs off of 1 wrench.
                              A center I did numerous machines at had a mechanic who said he removed a 4 to 1 mounting bolt to drain the oil. I never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
                              I hope these tips may help someone.

molligan [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                              molligan

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X