Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POWER LIFT PROBLEM

I have a power lift on a pair of lanes that will not come on with one of the pinsetters. It's a pain in the butt having to have both machines running just to use one of them. Any ideas?

scott [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]
    If you expect the worst, it can only get better.

Re: POWER LIFT PROBLEM

scott,
    check your cannon plugs that plug into your accelerator control box. one of them is probably unplugged, if not then check your relays in your power lift control box, if you have the "box" type relays then one of those is probably un-seated, you can put a piece of rubber on top of the relays to hold them in place when you re-install the cover.
    happy hunting,
    brunsmechanic
    GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

Comment

Sounds like a bad relay in your Power Lift Electrical box, This happens in my house at least twice a year.
      Wags

Comment

Just replaced a relay in a pair a week ago. Had to sometimes turn on lane 10 to allow bowlers to get their balls back on lane 9. In our center...the power source for the returns is different than the power source for the pinsetters and they are wired in blocks of 4....so in my case one breaker didnt kill the power. The spark and subsequent turning on of lanes 1, 2, 3, 4 when I touched the soldering iron to one of the wires was not a pleasant surprise. Be Careful!

...rob
        Space is the Place!

Comment

Scott,
          Find the 2 cables that come from the pinsetters,
          (one for each lane) that plug into your power lift box.Turn on the pinsetter that will turn on the Ball Lift,now unplug the cables and switch them.If the ball lift comes back on.Your relays are okay. Switch the wires back.
          This means that your problems is the cable or no 24v from the faulty pinstter.Switch the wires at the accelerator box(if you have brunswick A-2s)and turn on each lane again.See if the problem moved to the other lane,if it did it is a bad cable. If the problem stayed with the same lane you will need to find reason for no 24v to the accelerator(boster)box.

Please post back with the lane number that is giving trouble and also what lifts you have and the type of pinsetters.

If you don't have brunswick A-2s and ball lifts there is no need to try the above.

Peanut
          Peanut

Comment

Hey guys!
            I figure it is a relay problem. It's just a problem that I have never come across before(just one year exp.)I have mostly converted A2 machines and some factory A2s. The lane I am having trouble with is lane 22 and is a converted machine. The ball lifts are Brunswick ball lifts.(pretty old stuff) I am going to try to track down the problem when I go in today. So much to do and so little time. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Hello Scott a2,

My most common problem when this happens is a wire break inside acc.control box cannon plug
              but mostly with accelerators, due to the constant movement of the assy when balls go thru.Just a thought. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Scott,
                Understanding how the ball lift control box works is the first step in trouble shooting this problem. 24 volts is transferred from the pinsetter transformer when the pinsetter is turned on to the 24 volt relays in the ball lift control box. Start with the pinsetter and work forward with a volt meter. Could be a bad connection in the cannon plug, a bad solder connection, a broken wire, a bad relay coil, etc. Good luck.

ED J.

Comment

Still searching for the problem. I have another pair doing the same thing now. All relays are good. There has to be a break in a cable somewhere but I'll be damned if I can find it. On one pair, I had a problem with the power lift shutting off. I had to flip the manager control switch a few times before it would cut off and now it will not come on. Thanks for all the info guys. Hopefully I will find the problem soon.

Scott [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

Scott:

The problem with these breaks is that at times the wire is broken inside the insulation, but the insulation can still be intact:

Does the machine giving the problem run the accelerator/booster OK?? If so, the break is between the accelerator control box and the lift.

If it's in the 70 feet of wire, what I do is to take a pair of small safety or straight pins, and pierce the insulation on the pair of wires right where the wires go down into the subway, past any contact points with the machine frame. Test for 24VAC. I start there because MOST breaks will occur near moving machine parts, or where the ball can graze wires it's returning.

If you got voltage at subway entrance, test again halfway down the subway, 30 feet down lane. (do it about 2 inches apart, so the two wires won't short) If you get voltage there, problem is between where you are and the lift, If not, between where you are and the machine. Keep dividing the remaining wire in half till you find it.

If the machine doesn't run the booster, check the voltage coming out of the cannon socket, then just before/after the wires go over the rabbit ears ... dividing the remaining wire in half till you find it. PITA, yes, but it's process of elimination:

Happy hunting:

Kevin

Comment

Scott

Depending on how your accelerator cannon plug wiring is secured as it descends into the subway, I have had many a wire rub, break, and short on the machine frame as it makes a "u" and disappears downward under the hood.

only another suggestion....

Mike
                      [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]
                      "cursing at a pinsetter near you..."

Comment

Hey guys!
                        I finally solved my problems. I had installed the zot accelerator conversion kits on all accelerators and by raising them it stretched the cables to the accelerator box. Took awhile to find the break but I did. Thanks again for all the info. Always learning!

Scott

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                        1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                        First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                        our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                        Working...
                        X