Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox problem

Okay, this is a first for me. Got called to lane 10 for a 90 stop. When I got there the pinsetter motor was overloaded. I could not see anything obvious except the rake was unlatched. I relatched that and tried to run the machine back up by hand. I can't raise the machine higher that about 70 degrees. When I got the motor to restart the machine cycled to 135 degrees and the gearbox locked up. I'm thinking that possibly something has broken in the 2 to 1. Anyone have any ideas. I don't have a spare 2 to 1 and I don't want to waste time taking apart something that may not be the problem. Fortunately I don't need the lanes until Saturday.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Gearbox problem

DOES THE INPUT GROWL IF IT DOES THEN ITS THE MAIN BEARING ON THE INPUT SHAFT GOOD LUCK J B

Comment

Open up the oil filler cap and back the machine up from the "froze up" spot. Look in with a flashlight. More than likely you will see gold colored shavings.........the sign of a bronze gear gone bad on the 4:1.

billman
      let me be myself

Comment

I agree with Billman and I also had the same problem a number of years ago . You have a bad 4to1.

Comment

I drained the gearbox and there was nothing unusual looking about the oil. There were no broken teeth in the oil, bronze or otherwise. The oil was very clean, nothing on the magnet on the drain plug. I don't have much choice except to start with the 4 to 1. This should be fun, since it's been about 5 years since I did my last one.

Thanks

Comment

Sorry to hear about your problem. It does sound like your worm wheel has had too much metal shaved off of it. The quickest way to tell is to remove the worm shaft and take a peek inside the gearbox. You will be able to remove the worm shaft with the gearbox at 90 degrees if you remove the scissor spring on the back of the deck. I would recommend removing any standing pins and do all your work with no pins standing, this will put the weight of the deck on the deck lowering hook. The deck will hold the gearbox at 90 degrees and will prevent the worm shaft from trying to fly out at you.
            If you decide to remove the 4:1 at this point, the deck will still hold the rest of the gear box in place while you rebuild your 4:1. Just mark the rake crank arm with some white out and mark the 4:1 casing (actually the bolted on ring right next to the rake crank arm) After rebuilding your 4:1, install it so your marks line up and your timing will not have changed. If you have any questions, a quick phone call will get you back on track.
            602-249-1715
            Good Luck...
            TSM & TSM Training Development
            Main Event Entertainment
            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

I agree it sounds like your 4 to 1. There is nothing much to a 2 to 1. Its just a gear. Most of the workings is on the outside of the gear box. I have only changed a 2 to 1 one time in 15 years and it was a bad bearing which wore out the stud. The bronze gear in the 4 to 1 is sometimes deceiving because it can be wore out enough not to work but its hard to see with the naked eye until its all the way out.

Comment

Proberly is the 4:1,but I would like to add since we are talking about gearbox locking up.....I have seen a bad spring guide tube spring break and lock up a gearbox before. Good luck in your findings. Please post back what you find.

Peanut
                Peanut

Comment

Thanks everyone! The problem is solved. It was the bronze gear on the 4 to 1 that was bad. When I pulled it out there were about 15 teeth sheared off. The inside of the gearbox looked like bronze confetti everywhere. I did find a new trick (new to me anyway), that made reassembly easier. I screwed a couple of studs into the gearbox to support the 4 to 1 when I put it back in. It sure made lining everything back up a lot easier. I had to take it apart at 90 degrees so JBEES advice was appreciated.

Once again, Thanks! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                  widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                  1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                  First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                  our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                  Working...
                  X