Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gb drain plug

i went to pull a 1 to 1 today and could not for the life of me get the drain plug out.....it was stripped. i was wondering if any of you guys had run across anything like this and if you had how in the hell did you get that thing out [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] i ended up drilling a small hole in it and draining the oil that way(very slow) hoping that maybe i could use an ez-out but no luck. that baby is in there. there's not enough thread showing to get a pair of vise grips or anything on there.

by the way i used roscoe's 1 to 1 removal and it took no time at all. thanks roscoe.

alex
    Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
    Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
    Cloth: ShamWow!
    Machine: Johnny 5
    Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Re: gb drain plug

Obviously the best thing is to get the plug out - but the oil can also be drained thru the lowest 4:1 socket head cap screw. I think it's the 3rd from the rear along the bottom. The oil will drain, but slow, and you won't have a hole to patch.

Comment

Shame,

You could weld the allen wrench to the drain plug and then give it a try.

Comment

shame

I agree with mainframe.

I've removed numerous plugs by sticking the long
        end of an allen wrench in the stripped plug, put
        a couple spot welds on, & put wrench on allen.
        They come right out.

If you have several to do, I used to get about 8
        plugs out of 1 allan wrench. Once removed I took
        a die grinder & cut off allan wrench at the plug.
        Good Luck

retired & still learning

molligan [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
        molligan

Comment

You need to be VERY careful with this because if you put too much pressure on that plug, you might break the gear box housing. My old instructor at pinsetter school says to spray some liquid wrench, or WD 40 and let it sit for a while. If you can do it from the inside, with the 1 to 1 still out, would be better. If that doesn't work, you have no choice and drill a hole like you did but make it big enough where you would be able to thread and install another drain plug.

Good Luck!

Comment

By the way, where is it stripped? The threads, or where the wrench goes. What I described would be for the threads being stripped. Sorry I should have looked before I leaped.

Comment

it's stripped out where the wrench goes, the threads seem ok but i haven't been able to look at them. but no obvious signs of crossthreading. i figured i'd have to weld the wrench on there thanks for the input guys.

alex
              Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
              Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
              Cloth: ShamWow!
              Machine: Johnny 5
              Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

I had the same problem once. Seems some bonehead cross threaded the drain plug. I drilled the drain plug out with a 1/2" drill and used the biggest easy out I could find. Used a crescent wrench and a breaker bar. It came out. I replaced it with a hex head plug, and made sure I sealed it with some silicone. never had a leak.
                Idiocracy

Comment

I know this is an old thread. I was wondering if anyone else has any other ideas now.

We've got a couple that are going to be hard to get out.

thanks-rob

Comment

alex.. the idea with taking screw out of 4 to 1 cover from gary would be your best way for you it does take a little longer .. but after working with in the past i am not sure you are strong enough to turn the allen wrench if you welded it on the plug .. just messing with you .. i hope you are freezing your butt off...

Comment

A torx socket bit, slightly larger than the allen hex, will do the trick. Drive it in with a hammer and it will become an easy out.

- Tony

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                      widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                      1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                      First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                      our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                      Working...
                      X