Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Problem 2

Hi all
    This is kind of like the one that was on here a while back but here goes. Went back on a black out on a A-2 Jap and the moter oveloaded and fliped the breaker on the wall. The deck was at Half way between 270 and 0 on the way up from setting pins. I pulled the worm drive and the 4 to 1 and found nothing wrong with either so I put it all back together and it worked great for about 5 games then did the same thing. I dont think its the deck lifting stuff because I can back the machine throught the complete cycle and its fine. Any thoughts would be great
    Thanks

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Ayrmac ]

Re: Gear Problem 2

Hi, ARYMAC
    the first thing I would check is the motor
    itself.if you have a weak motor it is most
    likely to overload at 290 because that is
    when the most stress is put on it.

good luck,
    rich
    the little things cause the big problems

Comment

you might want to check and make sure there is oil in the gearbox... I had the same thing happen a couple seasons back and found the oil had slowly leaked out... It would cause the motor to overload and black out. I know that is a simple thing, but when it starts happening, it is easy to overlook it...
      41 years and still learning....
      lanedoctor@hotmail.com

Comment

I agree with Rich that it could be your motor is getting weak and starting to go. It happened to me awhile back the same as you have described. I switched out with my spare motor and didn't have another call. Try switching motors, if it works, great, if not you have lost nothing, except about 15 minutes. also, definately double check G/B oil,it can't be checked too often.
        Let us know what it turns out to be.
        Good Luck
        Macgyver

Comment

Jeff:
          Ampprobe the motor circuit while machine is picking up a full pin deck with a full load in deck.
          It was my understanding that gearbox locked up , not breaker on wall.
          Your first eight have smaller breakers than the other sixteen.Some have been replaced because they wouldnt carry the load. Only way to tell is with a amp. probe.
          Roscoe.

Comment

I would also check the motor to gearbox belt tension.
            If the belt has too much slop in it then the motor can overheat,or pop a breaker.
            Is the breaker tripping while the machine is running or when they happen to try and turn it on with the deck down.
            If it is tripping when first turned on check your capacitors in the motor.
            If it is tripping while the machine is running swap motors with another lane and see if the problem follows the motor.
            If the problem stays at the original lane check your moving deck blackout switch.
            It could be close to adjustment and flickering causing the motor contactor to go off and on which might make the motor start switch engage the capicitors causing an overload.
            Also look at your deck lift shaft bearings.
            The main bearings at the end of the shaft and the ones in the bearing caps at the front.
            If it is a bad motor the problem should move to the lane you move the motor to.
            Hope this helps.
            Graham

Comment

AYRMAC:
              What was the resolution to the problem posed?
              As in Halseys' case, all the world wants to know.
              Have a Happy Season, same to the bosses'
              Roscoe
              rfm

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
              Working...
              X