Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snubber mounting bolts...

Seems awful quiet in here lately...so I thought I would post a question. What are you guys using for snubber mounting bolts and how well are they working for you?
    I never liked the button head cap screw Brunswick lists in the parts book due to the rounding of the hole when putting an Allen wrench in it. And getting real tight just makes it round it out more or rounds off the wrench. So I changed what I use.
    I am using a grade 8, 1/4-20 x 1" hex head bolt. I also use a grade 8 SAE washer under it and lock it down with a lock nut. I have had mixed luck with this combonation. Some break from time to time. I saw somewhere in the past a center that the mechanic had ground out the slots in the snubbers to accept a 5/16 bolt and drilled the cross conveyor and mounted the snubber that way. He said he never had a bolt break after that. What do you think of htat idea? Hey Gordon...how about that as an idea for a new part...a snubber with 5/16 inch slots instead of 1/4 inch.

Comments welcome...

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: JBEES ]
    TSM & TSM Training Development
    Main Event Entertainment
    480-620-6758 for help or information

Re: Snubber mounting bolts...

Heya,

I use the 1/4-20 x 1" bolts too. Those button head bolts were/are a pain to get tight. I use a single flat washer under the bolt head, and a lockwasher and nut under the cross conveyor.

We get an occasional loose/broken bolt.
    Its nothing like we used to get with the allen bolts.

Wookie8662

Comment

Ditto on the grade 8's, definitely NOT an application for a pansy bolt. The failure rate on the 8's is a lot lower than a 2, or even a 5 ...

Never used allens in that application, when I got here, all the "new" style snubbers had regular bolts in them already. Had about 5 machines that still had the "A" style snubbers in them, the last one finally gave up two years ago:

Kevin

Comment

I also use grade 8, I also use cam washers on the top of the snubber instead of regular flat washer, this helps them stay tight. I have found that if a certain snubber keeps breaking bolts(even the GR8)make sure you have a good rubber shim under your snubber.The jap pinsetters came with a plastics shim and it does not give enough shock absorbtion.

Later
        Peanut

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: masternut ]
        Peanut

Comment

I use old accelerator belts under mine with a grade 8 bolt. I was thinking of welding a plate to the c.c. and just tapping out the plate to whatever size I wanted to use. We are in the process of removing all the c.c. for R&R anyway so this would be a great time to do it. I haven't started it yet so if anyone can come up with a reason as to why I shouldn't please let me know. I was thinking of using 3/8 flat stock as this would be strong enough to tap out to a larger size if needed in the future.

Drill
          Drill

David Bolt
          Champaign, IL
          USBC Silver Coach
          IBPSIA BOD
          IBPSIA Advanced
          Technical Certified
          Pro Shops

Comment

I open the holes in the snubber to 5/16" and use 5/16"-18x1 Grade 5 hex head. I also fabricate a nut plate to use on the bottom instead of using nuts.
            Idiocracy

Comment

Speaking about bolt grades, why was it that Brunswick used a grade 0 (no marks on head) for the deck cam foller shaft. We would break those things all the time and the old mechanic would just keep putting them back in. Hes gone and so are the bolts, using the grade 8 studs and collars now.
              Marty

Comment

Marty..those were grade 2. I use the studs too whenever possible, or a grade 5 bolt (3 marks on head)

As for the snubbers, I have had a decent bit of luck with grade 5 1/4x20 with just a standard and lock washer on the bottom.

A nut plate would be great for this, as long as it is strong enough.
                <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

1/4" bar stock. Drill and tap the holes. I make 'em myself while I'm babysitting.
                  Idiocracy

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                  widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                  1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                  First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                  our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                  Working...
                  X