Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please help

I need help taking apart the 2:1 shaft.. The reason for this is that the bolts on the Deck lift hook cam Have broken clean off of the Deck lift eccentric.. If anyone has a simple method of repairing this please post/call 1-250-860-4888 Ask For Ken .. As soon as possible.. Thank You

Re: Can someone please help

Ken...I tried calling you, you were already talking with Kevin...but here is a reply to question about the bolts on the 2:1 eccentric assy. "The easiest way to remove your broken bolts is to take the outer plate off of the 2:1 crank assy. and use a drill to remove them. The broken bolts can be accesed from there. I use a 5/32" drill bit when doing this. This can be done by raising the machine to 0 degrees and perform this there. If you have a scotch Yoke setup...you will need to remove it by either removing the lift pin from the deck lift shaft or by placing the deck on the deck holding hook. I recommend the first option. Raise the deck up a few inches and slide a couple of 2X4's under the deck to support it. You should have no problems removing the bolts after this has been done. If the threads are destroyed in the 2:1 crank assy, don't panic...install a heli-coil and you'll be back in business."

Hope this helps you...

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: JBEES ]
    TSM & TSM Training Development
    Main Event Entertainment
    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Ken:
      The only thing I might add to JEBEES instructions would be to start into the broken bolts (from the tin plate side) lightly,with a good 1/4" bit to establish a true center hole in the bolts, dont' worry there is plenty of meat in the eccentric to do this, as its chamfered on the side your going to be working with.
      One other thing I have found helpful is to remove the two bearing locking bolts and step washers that hold shaft to cover, gently pry out on eccentric and the bearing will come partways out of cover, thus giving you room to reinstall the new bolts, cam and spacers.
      On some model machines you will need to unhook cross conveyor at turn pan, lift conveyor up to clear bracket welded to main frame, move to ten pin side to get clearance for a drill., you cannot pull gears out of time, so dont' worry about that.
      If I'm in a hurry, I simply put the machine on the deck holding hook, no pins in deck or on deck, tie up the rake sweep hook, remove the deck lowering link and hook from eccentric, with deck weight on hook. Crank gear box around freely to get to all bolts without fear of any interference, matter of fact I use the motor and breaker switch to do it. With sweep hook securely tied up, no connections to eccentric, one can run the gearbox all day long with the only result being you can get to every bolt. This is of course assuming that one has a good deck holding hook, properly engaged with deck pin
      Never assume a deck holding hook is good just because it has a sharp point on it as viewed from the ten pin side, many hooks are worn ( sharp point rounded) on the seven side where it engages the pin, only partway along its width. A properly constructed deck holding hook and pin will require a lifting of the deck to disengage, but I still never get under one that is on the hook.
      Hope of some help.
      Roscoe.
      rfm

Comment

I had a freind of mine show me a nice trick thats works most of the time....take a Flat head socket bolt 2-3 inches long and take a hacksaw blade and cut an X in the end. Using this modified bolt,come in from the cross conveyor side of 2:1 and let the new bolt chase the broken bolt out.
        Some times it works,sometimes it don't.but it is worth a try before dropping cross conveyor and drilling.

Peanut
        Peanut

Comment

Good Luck Ken,
          usually I'll try for about half an hour to dig the broken bolts out. If no results then 2:1 comes out. You can usually pull a 2:1 and put back in if all goes well in about 3-4 hours. Out of the 3 major shafts, I think a 2:1 is the easiest...... for me anyway. Just remember to pull the clutch cam spacer off of the 4:1 before replacing your 2:1 or youll ruin the new oil seal. Of course replacing the 2:1 is a last resort, you will want to if at all possible try and extract the bolts first. But sometimes I have spent so much time on this, I felt it would have been easier to just change the shaft.

Jerrid
          and then he said, "on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness" so I got that going for me...... which is nice!

Comment

Masternut,
            Awesome trick, never thought of that. I can think of some other situations that would work as well.

Jerrid
            and then he said, "on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness" so I got that going for me...... which is nice!

Comment

Quote:]A properly constructed deck holding hook and pin will require a lifting of the deck to disengage, but I still never get under one that is on the hook.
              Hope of some help.
              Roscoe.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Roscoe....Im always concerned when crawling under a deck...especially one thats been in a house for 40 years +. When going 'down under' I usually put the pinsetter on second ball to engage the hook, and at times I even put a couple of pins out of range along side of me. Being leary and paranoid under these things, what else could one do to ensure that the deck isnt going to come crashing down? A rare occurance Im sure, but one never knows. I do all this with the power cord unplugged of course.

Thanks.....rob
              Space is the Place!

Comment

Just an added note about removing the broken bolts from a 2:1. When I use the drill bit I mentioned above, the old bolt comes right out as soon as you start to drill into it. I have had no bolts fail to come out using this method. The friction from the drill bit turns the bolt and turns it out towards the gear box. I suppose there are some machines out there that have had locktight put onto those bolts, but I haven't run across any of them yet.
                TSM & TSM Training Development
                Main Event Entertainment
                480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Thank you we used the old insert another bolt and turn the broken one right out..

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                  widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                  1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                  First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                  our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                  Working...
                  X