Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil drip down the front of pit curtain

What methods do you all employ to reduce or limit the oild drip down the front of the curtain. We wipe where the drips come from often but every now and then there is one that slips on down. I have been thinking about folding a rag over the top of the curtain rod and clipping it in place. Just wondered what others had been doing. Thanks for reading my post.
    Howard

Re: oil drip down the front of pit curtain

We use tampons in the drip pans. Works but once its soaked you have to repalce it.

Comment

Without sounding too direct, I would fix the problem that's causing the drip. Ican say this because I still have a few machines that need attention myself. I am sure everyone else here does the same thing as this is how it was when I got the place. We clean out the drip pans every year and place tampons in them which catch most of the oil from regular maintenance.

Drill
      Drill

David Bolt
      Champaign, IL
      USBC Silver Coach
      IBPSIA BOD
      IBPSIA Advanced
      Technical Certified
      Pro Shops

Comment

I tried shop rags too but they just end up in the turn pan in an hour or two. Then I tried velcroing big black towels to the top of the curtain, but that started to rot the top of the curtain with all that oil just sitting being absorbed by the curtain. Now all I do is place a maxi pad in the oil drip pan and that pretty much takes care of the problem. Those babies hold almost a quart of oil. Don't have to changed them for six months.
        john b
        ----------------------
        just fix it
        John B
        ------------
        just fix it

Comment

FIX IT WITH K O T E X !!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm going to have to agree with the Drillman! Fix the leak first. Nothing is worse than seeing a shinny streak of oil on the front of a curtain. Line the drip pan with a Kotex, but get that leak fixed. BTW, are you replacing the gearbox oil in those that leak? It's been a few years since I have worked on these machines, but I remember there being an oil that has some leak stoppers in it. Am I correct in thinking this? Let me know everyone.

Dennis G.

Comment

Thanks for all the great ideas. Our oil pans are cleaned regularly. The drip seems to come from one of the two big shaft/frame that goes across the pinsetter above the pit. That trangle by the counter microswitch always seems to have a drip on it. I thought about the velcro and the towel idea and am glad I asked before we tried it.
              Howard

Comment

If it drips on the front twords the pin deck there isn't much you can do,i get drips on the curtain from oiling the detectors,rake cam arm pivots.,if it's twords the rear of the curtain use the larger drip pans that catch more oil drips,they have glass jars on them and you simply unscrew the jars and empty it.
                BTW,Brunswick say's you can add one(1)ounce of transmission conditioner to the gearbox to help soften the seals up w/o hurting anything.,never tried that myself.
                Oil drips can be a bother but since i'm usually checking things bi-weekly around the pin deck area i just wipe off the drips.

Comment

No machine should drip oil...boy, am I one to talk. Half of my machines still have at least one leak. But we are getting rid of them. One at a time. If you have drips due to heavy lubrication during PM...cut back on the amount you are applying or wipe away the excess before it drips. Drips on curtains will eventually destroy the curtain and will begin to give you scoring errors.

Drips from the gear box can usually be traced back to a loose cover assy bolt. Check the bolts that hold the cover assys on to be sure they are tight and be sure they have a copper gasket between them and the cover assy. I have had good luck stopping leaks by tightening the bolts and waiting to see if that stopped the leak. If it didn't, I change all the copper gaskets (one at a time) on the cover assy. The other cause of leaks are seals that have worn...and they are a whole other story. Alot of work to do them by replacing. I might even try that tranny seal idea before changing another 2:1 shaft seal. Maybe...

Good luck...
                  TSM & TSM Training Development
                  Main Event Entertainment
                  480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Also what causes oil to accumelate on your deck shafts is oil running down your electrical cords that go to your deckjam switch and counter. PJ
                    I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

PJ...were does that oil come from??
                      TSM & TSM Training Development
                      Main Event Entertainment
                      480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

From the gear box if your cables are routed between the gear box and the drip pan. PJ
                        I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

JEBEES:
                          Probably from the oil store.
                          Your next question?
                          LMAO.
                          Roscoe
                          rfm

Comment

Well we have the same oil leak problem here what we did was instead of using 10w30oil we use 80w90 gear oil which works better the 10w30 and its thicker it slows some of the leaking but its best to fix the problem.
                            If it's meant to move use WD-40 ..... If it's meant to stay USE ALOT OF DUCT TAPE :P

Comment

If you got a substrantial amount of oil dripping on the curtain chances are that you're P.M. is part of the cause, more than likely, I agree with the others a bad seal on the 2:1 is the culprit. Just a suggestion, you may try to regulate you're leaks and oil condition is to convert the oil pan to hold a small jar (fishing bait 4oz. Drill a small holethrough the oil pan at its lowest point, where the oil collects do the same for the lid on the bottle. Use T-Nuts (flat washer with an extended threaded end and thread one into the oil pan and one into the bottle cap until the cap is tight against the pan. You can use a rubber seal if a leak develops). Once the above is done screw the bottle onto the cap with the pan in place. Advantage of doing this is, you'll quickly find out if you have g-box seal problems and you can empty the pan quickly having a sample of mostly, g-box oil to inspect for possible developing problems.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X