Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball Wheel

Had an interesting problem today, the ball wheel came apart at the seam. There is a small commpresion clamp on the inside of the seem and the weld broke free to a 2" gap in my wheel. I forunately had an extra and it was a half a days work just to change one out as I have never done or seen this happen before. Has anyone else had this happen or is there some way to do a stress test on it? It looks to be pretty easy to weld back but it was a first for me. All the upper and lower ball wheel guide rollers are fine or at least they were before this happened and the lift rods are adjusted to the tee. I posted a picture of the inside of the ball wheel in the gallery if anyone is interested.
    Let me know if you have a clue as to why this might have happened, even though they are converted A2's built in 1961.

thanks
    Drill

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: Drillmn300 ]
    Drill

David Bolt
    Champaign, IL
    USBC Silver Coach
    IBPSIA BOD
    IBPSIA Advanced
    Technical Certified
    Pro Shops

Re: Ball Wheel

Welcome to the club. My house has 16 converted A2s and 8 Jap A2s. Had a ball wheel break close to a year ago. Had a guy come in and weld it, but it only lasted about 6 months.....Had a different guy come in and weld it again so we shall see how long this one lasts. We did the welding while the ball wheel remained in the pinsetter. Thought that it would make the job easier than taking one out. Our converted A2s were made in 1960. I think I would be safe to assume that being made in 1960 and 1961 (yours) would be the reason why they broke. They are old!!! HA.

Here is an old thread about the same problem. Enjoy!!

....rob

Ball Wheel Thread....Click Here!
    Space is the Place!

Comment

Yup..Been there.

I have come up with a theory as to what might cause the wheel to break. Helper springs. The springs increase the pressure on the wheel causing it to break. The only one I had to break was one with the quality double spring kit on the rods.

With more oil being put on the lanes, and heavier springs being installed on the lift rods, this problem will probably become more common. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

Food for thought..

Adam D.
      <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

Yep, I have the dual spring kit on mine and I really wish they sold them. It eliminated most of my ball problems but I can see where it would cause excess pressure on the wheel.

Drill
        Drill

David Bolt
        Champaign, IL
        USBC Silver Coach
        IBPSIA BOD
        IBPSIA Advanced
        Technical Certified
        Pro Shops

Comment

I have seen this in two places. At one of them it was so often I just started welding them in the machine. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] I wonder if you guys could produce some serial numbers. I wonder if there was a bad run on ball wheels.

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
          Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

Mine was on a 58,000.
            <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

Mine are 66,000 and so far I have only seen it happen to 1 machine. I did go through the rest of them with a fine tooth comb and didn't see a thing. How many sections is the original wheel in? By the way they are real easy to weld and get a permanent fix on if they are removed from the machine.

Drill
              Drill

David Bolt
              Champaign, IL
              USBC Silver Coach
              IBPSIA BOD
              IBPSIA Advanced
              Technical Certified
              Pro Shops

Comment

I had one break 27000
                John B
                ------------
                just fix it

Comment

Well, acording to the serial numbers...that would of been one hell of a bad run!!

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                  Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

had one break about 4 years ago i guess nothing lasts forever.

Comment

Just to let you know, we have machines ranging in number from around 5500 to 12000 and have never had a ball wheel break or split.

Comment

Been that route too. Although I wasnt the one to change the ball wheel. Had the broken one welded but it was out of the machine and a new wheel was installed. Now I have the welded one as a spare. So far havent had to use it.

msbowl

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                        1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                        First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                        our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                        Working...
                        X