Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which motor for the Jap A-2's

Okay...had a motor die tonight (it was red hot) so i grab the "spare" motor and all it does is pop the breaker on the wall so i took lane 20's motor and put it where i needed it and all is fine BUT,quality has 2 motors listed,the universal model and the import.,which one is used on the Jap systems??
    I have 2 motors on the bench(bad)and one shows...208-230,115volt,1740rpm,60hz.,now then i looked at another motor and it shows completely different numbers but at 50hz.The one motor i did move to replace the bad one says quality #12-7255 but the book has no listing for that number.,that motor has capacitors on it,our others do not.Our system is run on 220volts even at powerlifts.
    I am assuming the 12-7256 is correct in that it's 115/208/230 @1725 rpm.Correct model??
    I'm going to have a motor rebuilder check the bad ones over and fix them up!I don't need the one lane until Thursday the latest but would like to just get one and put it in.,i have better things to do.I just don't get it that one is 60hz and one is 50hz.,but then i am not super electric man either.,i get by somehow!

Re: which motor for the Jap A-2's

The proper Quality motor to use inside the US is the 12-7256. The 12-7255 is a motor that is to be used outside the US. It is designed to run at 50 HZ. It won't do well here. If you installed a 12-7256, you did fine. Have the others repaired if the windings are still good...most of the time, motor repair shops charge too much to rewind a motor. Most other repairs make it economical to have the motor repaired. A reputable repair shop will let you know if its worth doing the repairs or not.
    TSM & TSM Training Development
    Main Event Entertainment
    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Now that's what i call a quick answer,Thanks!! I'll get it tomorrow.Say...is there some other place such as graingers to get motors or are they more expensive than quality etc.Just wondering.

Comment

I personally get motors quite a bit cheaper from other sources such as granger. Hand dryer motors and the lino cloth drive motor on the lane machine have done fine using normal priced motors. As long as physical specs and elec. specs match..a motor is a motor. Why pay Brunswick several more $$ for a simple motor? Has worked for me so far.

Any thoughts Steve?

...rob
        Space is the Place!

Comment

Also....in the last 2 1/2 years, all motor failures were due to a bearing going out inside the motor and not the windings or brushes. Some of these I easily replaced the bearings myself and blew out the motor and WHAM....'new' motor! If the bearings have any play in them the motor wont run right or wont run at all. The lane machine motor was a tiny attached gear box failure.

...rob

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: planet_rob ]

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: planet_rob ]
          Space is the Place!

Comment

Normally i repack the bearings and check things out but one of those dead motors i have never seen before and it has no markings on it,as for the other(toshiba)by it constantly popping the wall breaker i figure it has just gone south.,i just need to cut the wires for the plug end since i don't have the twist lock plugs then splice them together.
            Question...since i have the thermal overload in the elect.boxes do i get a motor w/o an overload switch on it?

Comment

I have just found a place that mainly services local farmers that sold me a replacement motor for under $200. Just had to buy adapter rails with it because of different frame size. I find it a good practice to tear apart motors every year or two to give them a real good cleaning and check bearings etc. The only problem I have found on replacement motors is make sure the amp load is not over the original. Most newer motors seem to be lower but if you have the older style motor contactors with the thermal overload switch you need to make sure the heater coil matches the motor's amp rating.

Comment

Rob is correct with his assesment that a motor is a motor is a motor ... if all the specs match, go for it. If you want to replace the motor with a different manufacturer, there is no problem doing that. As far as using a motor with a built in thermal and using the thermal overload in the electrical box...you can if you want to. I wouldn't waste the money buying a motor with the thermal built in if I already have thermals in the electrical box.

I know of some guys that are replacing motors and removing the thermal inside the electrical box because they want the thermal on the motor. I also know of one mechanic adding thermals to the motors he has and then removing the thermal in the electrical box. Bottom line...whatever makes you happy. Just make sure you have a thermal somewhere...and that the motor and the thermal match.

nighthawk...I personally like the Toshiba motors. They are made VERY well. Alot of overkill inside them. Keep the bearings in good shape and burnish the start switch every couple of years. The only weak point in the motor is the govenor itself. It has a "D" shape to it where it mounts on the shaft and it tends to wear into a circle. It then starts to slip on the shaft and start tripping the thermal or circuit breaker. This may be all that is wrong with your Toshiba. Remove the rear cover of the motor and see if it spins on the shaft. If it does, remove the clip and spring washer, drill an 1/8 hole through the govenor plate and into the shaft. Drill into it at about a 30 degree angle so you can get some metal in the shaft. Install a roll pin so it will hold the govenor onto the shaft, then reinstall the spring washer and clip. This will keep the govenor from spinning on the shaft and just might save you a motor. I have done this to all my Toshiba's even though they haven't come loose yet. Now they should never come loose. Good luck...
                TSM & TSM Training Development
                Main Event Entertainment
                480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                our technician is working full time on another...
                Working...
                X