Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bowler wants to practice picking up spares

I had a bowler ask me a couple of nights ago if a pinsetter could be set up to set random "spares" for him to practice on. My answer was yes and I started to tell him that it would have to be done from the back. He wanted something automatic.
    The only thing I could come up with was to put only 2 pins in the machine, stop the turret at the 5 pin chute, lock the pin gate open, and use a spring to by pass the 180 degree stop and let her rip. However, this would only give him the 5 pin to practice on. Our machines are of course Brunswick A-2s. Anyone else ever have such a request? Thanks.

[ February 22, 2002: Message edited by: Howard ]
    Howard

Re: bowler wants to practice picking up spares

Yes Request made, no easy way to do it though ... unless you're talking about GS machines, which CAN do it.

Spent an hour on top of a machine, throwing 10 pin in the bucket and popping the clutch, for a female teammate who was struggling with them at the time.

I'd only play human pinsetter fro a teammate or someone I owed a BIG solid to ... it gets old quick [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Kevin

Comment

Sometime, many years ago a center I bowled at as a youth had a special device for A-2 wiht a keypad that attached to the top of the scoring counsel. When turned on all the bowler had to do was type in the comibination they wanted and the pinsetter would spot that combination. Not sure who made it or even if its still made.

Comment

Closest I can get you is to give them more than one shot at whatever spare they leave. If you don't have rake overtravel, you can use a bungee cord to hold the deck holding hook up just enough to keep it from grabbing the pin. The pinsetter will run "standing pin" cycle again and again until either the pin is taken out and it does a strike cycle or the pin goes out of range. If you don't think the bungee cord is enough of a safety, you could adjust the hook out so it doesn't grab the pin.

Comment

Howard:
          The devise alluded to, to achieve any spare shooting on a Brunswick, proved to be so complicated and unreliable, not to mention expensive, it was soon dropped. In the fifties, we used cast fiberglass partitions, placed into the indexing cam to practice on spares. However never very popular, as the five pin always had to be present.
          Roscoe.
          rfm

Comment

I had a good setup for random spare shots....although I didnt want it happening. Jam nut for spring on turret indexing lever came loose and spring vibrated loose causing the turret to sometimes double index, not at the same position either, causing less than a full rack to be set.

...rob
            Space is the Place!

Comment

I had a bowler who wanted to practice the 10 pin. I cut old scissor pads to the shape of the low points of the turret cam, and glued them in with contact cement. I left the 10 and 5 open. Then I made a trough from sheet metal, removed the 5 and 9 buckets, propped the trough on top of the 2 bucket and let it rest over where the 5 and 9 buckets were. Whenever the 5 dropped through the chute, it landed on the trough, and slid off the back of the deck when it shifted.
              Idiocracy

Comment

Several years ago, I had trouble picking up the dreaded ten pin. I had had enough and decided that I should repeatedly practice shooting them. I came up with what is apparently a novel idea:

I threw my ball at the ten.

One of my fellow mechanics likes to mess with the members of the Men's league in which he bowls. Most of the league members shoot 1st ball and sweep 2nd ball. I guess it makes them kool. Not my coworker...

He throws his second ball at the ten, standing or not.

Perhaps we've had enough ten-pin, nine-pin and five-pin. The time for one-pin has arrived.

Six-inch wide lane, sixty feet long. You wanna build that machine?

Comment

the easiest way for your bowler to get some random spare practice would be to put a sports condition down for him to practice on.If he is like alot of spoiled bowlers who only bowl on walled up house shots,he will leave lots spare combos without modifing your pinsetter.

Comment

This is an interesting post. Ironically, last year at the Mid-America BowlFest in Rochester, MN, I happen to be talking to some proprietors, mechanics, etc. in the hospitality room after the days seminars. Luck would have it that this topic came up, and a long-haired Iowa native by the name of Patrick Lajko (of CDE Software) proclaimed that he could produce just such a system, whether it be for 82-30s or Brunswick A/A2 machines. He didn't divulge much information, because he said that he was still looking for someone to put up the scratch for development and production, but he claimed to have prototypes working in a center in Seattle at one time. My only guess would include some optical sensors, selenoids, and a computer contoller to run it and to accept input setups from the bowler. Doubt that it would be very cost effective, but I'm certain that it could be done. Anyone that wants to pester him for more in-depth information should call him at CDE Software in Seattle. Good luck. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
                    The long term cost of inaction is greater than the percieved short term convenience.

Comment

We bungee corded up the deck holding hook and the machine repeats 1st ball until the bowler is finally sucessful in picking up the spare. Then the machine detects a strike and sets down 10 new pins and start over. If you miss your spare you get to try it over and over until you get it.
                      Howard

Comment

This would be possible with 2 solonoids, a proximity sensor, a processor, and a keypad.

The bowler inputs the spare he/she wants to practice. One solonoid locks the pin gate, while the other advances the turret to the appropriate position. The proximity sensor would count the spoons to tell the processor what position the turret was in, and when it should unlock the pin gate.

Quite simple, yet rather complex. Also the pinsetter would have to be run with 20 pins.
                        <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

Hey thats a good idea I get the same questions where I'm at, what would the cost of that particular way? and is it pretty simple to do?

Comment

My guess would be around $100 for the parts, however it'd also have to be programmed. I don't know how much that would cost. It would probably have to have some EPROMS too to store the programming code.

I just thought of what would likely be needed. I never actually tried to build the thing.
                            <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, there was a device called the DBA Sparetronic.

It consisted of a soleniod mounted by the indexing lever (pedal) for the turret, and some linkage that controlled the operation of the pin gate. Also mounted was a replica of a New Pin Solenoid (like the AS-80/90)to the standing pins selector. I'd assume there was some more linkage crap connected to the 180 link to re-start the gearbox, but I'm unsure as the system was partially gutted when I got there. Maybe the solenoid for the pedal was responsible for this (TD Gear maybe?)
                              There was also a huge wire harness that ran from a controller mounted on the curtain wall that ran to the power lift hood up front where a console was. The bowler could select spares from there. It was Key controlled to allow only authorized use.

This is about all I can remember about it...if anyone else has heard of this maybe they can shed more light on it.
                              "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X