Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any easy way to make machines look like new

does anyone have an idea for the best way to get all of the a-2 a/p cleans because we only have 2 mechanics and not enough free time to tear down a machine. (its only a 16 lane house)SOMEONE PLZ HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If it's meant to move use WD-40 ..... If it's meant to stay USE ALOT OF DUCT TAPE :P

Re: any easy way to make machines look like new

There really is no shortcuts for cleaning the a/p's. Just lower the deck all the way down and start cleaning all the cross shafts and braces and work your way up. For the gearbox, hang plastic from front to back towards pinwheel into a pan or if your pinwheels have a hole in them then let the cleaning solution run into the pinwheel out the bottom. Spray the gearbox with a degreaser of some sort being careful to stay clear of the microswitches. Wipe what you can away then use a compressor to blow clean the surfaces. Worked like a charm for me. Its time consuming but well worth it. Especially for a small center like yours.

msbowl [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Lots of rags, and degreaser!!

I use pretty much the same tecnique as msbowl, however instead of wiping down the gearbox I soak the gearbox with degreaser, and take a garden sprayer and rinse it down with water. Some areas will require a bit of scrubbing depending on how greasy they are.

Some degreasers will corrode the aluminum, so be sure to read the lable. I use DBA 6040 non toxic machine cleaner or simple green.

This is the only way I have found to clean those areas where you can't reach with a rag.

Be sure to COMPLETELY dry and lube the gearbox afterwards. Use a shop vac to drain the water from the cavities of the gearbox where water and cleaner pool up.

Once they're clean, it's a whole lot easier to keep them that way.

There was a thread not too long ago about this.
      <a href="http://www.bowltech.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000689" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowltech.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000689" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowltech.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000689" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowltech.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000689" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowltech.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000689" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowltech.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000689" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowltech.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000689" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowltech.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000689" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowltech.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000689" target="_blank">http://www.bowltech.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000689</a></a></a></a></a></a></a></a></a>
      <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

If you steam clean them, be sure to either quit and move away or commit suicide soon afterward. I haven't tried it, but I've heard that bearings tend to seize up.

Comment

Havn't tried steam, and won't.

How about acid!! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

Our machines came out of a house that burned down. They were washed down with acid prior to being installed here. Talk about bad bearings! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] That was 23 years ago and I still find corrosion on some bolts.

I was 1 yr old at the time, or else I would have stopped them!! :p
          <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

FWIW:

When I got here, the machines were totally filthy, and ran as bad as they looked.

The best advice I can give is DON'T try to do it all at once. Every three months or so, go through them, clean everything, inspect for worn/cracked stuff, tighten everything, and lube all lube points. You'll be amazed that by the third round of this, they'll be looking pretty darn good.

The system I was taught (thanx to Ray @Mulbro) is to divide the machine into back, top, and front. Start with the back (includes the "bottom" ... i.e. pit), and do each machine in sequence till you're finished, then the tops, then fronts. By the time you're done, in a 16, it will almost be time to start over again.

Each trip through, they will look better, and run better. A dirty brunswick will not run well, I don't give a damn what anyone else says. The guys who have the FPS numbers over 1500, their machines are IMMACULATE. And that should be your long-term goal. You can't clean them once bigtime, and forget about it, or they'll look like crap again in 6 months.

Just my opinion:

Kevin

Comment

Personally i don't worry too much about those hard to get at spots,i do clean down the gearbox,decks(what's reachable).,cross braces,turrets,you get the idea and they look REAL NICE when done.I use cv88 as it cuts through the grime quickly,and of course alot of rags.
              I do admire those who go through and work very hard at cleaning the machines and have it looking better than new,that's alot of work and i tip my hat to you all!!(wanna do mine)
              I see it as these are my machines i work on them and as long as they are clean i'm happy,i don't need spotless,i'd love to have spotless but it's not going to happen where i'm at,i'm the only one on these machines no other help and as long as they keep running very well and are clean then i am happy.
              I use cheap tooth brushes from the stores to scrub along with scotch brite pads etc.I clean what i can get at,if it's that hidden then that's okay by me.I repaint my.... turrets,pinwheels,guards,walkways,wire tracks,electrical boxes,soleniod covers etc.
              They will look very nice when done but not as superior to the other folks who dig,dig,dig for the crud.Wonder if i can super impose a photo from the gallery and shrink wrap it onto my machines,Hmmm.LOL.

Treat your machines with respect and you won't get bitten.
              [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img]
              Use what you have to,to get it through the shift then fix it right.Do it right and live through the night...Safety first!

Comment

we use alot of machine gray and aluminum spray paint, a pressure washer, and an air compressor...along with alot of rags and degreaser

an air compressor with an air nozzle can clean the decks fast and clean everthing else really fast also

every year we take out the moving decks and pressure wash them then since they are aluminum we spray them with aluminum paint

all the parts that are easily removable can be cleaned and painted...cushion linkages, shotguns, cams, turret wire clamp plates, 5 pin chute's and anything else.

we clean and paint eveything...

and i agree... a clean machine, is a better
                running machine

Comment

I've not heard about Steam Cleaning, but my Center Owner told me of a guy that carried in a PRESSURE WASHER, unfortunately he was not aware of the possible need for drop clothes etc.

Comment

of course a clean machine is a btter running machine. The purpose behind the cleaning is to get you on the machine, and to look for problems/become more familiar with it. Also, if you follow Brunswicks Preventive maintenance cleaning program, it makes it very easy to keep machines clean. We have 48 pinsetters, they arent spotless, but they dont look like crap.
                    Hard work and determination is the answer to all problems.

Comment

Aaron - I agree with you, your machines don't have to be spotless to run well, we clean all 28 of ours regularly then just start all over again.
                      The big spin off is that while you are in there cleaning you will spot problems before they happen
                      like frayed cables, broken turret wires,cracked buckets and so on you can have too much bull**** and the guys get fed up then don't do the job properly, hell I know i've been there.

Comment

Howdy Do,
                        I like the notion of getting, and keeping, my machines clean, lord knows anything I do is an improvement over the condition when I arrived. Could someone please direct me as to where to acquire a copy of this Cleaning/Maint. schedule? The books I have access to are not exactly 'Complete', and I strongly suspect that they are seriously out of date also. They may include info for elec. triggering/scoring, but the pics show the 'Hocky Sticks'...
                        Besides, if the machines are reasonably clean, that just means that much less I have to wash off of ME at the end of the day, which helps drastically on MY league nights.

Comment

Hey Guys

New center 40 lanes and machines had been through a war, outside, never cleaned, after taking off all of the Ductape I have cleaned all cross braces by hand and put a childs plastic swimming pool on the deck towards the rear of the machine to catch dripping, I sprayed down the gearboxes and cross braces with "blast" cut in two and washed them down with a dilution of water with a 2.5 gallon pressure garden sprayer and wiped, blowed dry and re-oiled and greased where neeeded. Just be careful what and where you spray. The grease will just fall off and the results are great.
                          Just do it right the first time!

Comment

A clean machine just puts more pride into what you've done. Ive seen machines that were over lubed and greased. Its one thing to have everything lubed and greased but you dont have to wallow in it either. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

msbowl [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Big 10-4 for the grease overload. I finally tracked down where so much of the shoo nasty was coming from to get on my pins, you've all heard the old line about the squeeky wheel getting the grease, well the boss figures that if you squirt ENOUGH on, you're bound to hit the squeeky on eventually. But I'mm geting the excess removed at a good pace. I'm hoping to get going on some of the Major cleaning this summer, we'll only be open 5 days, that will give me 2 days without interruption, just me, my radio, and a big jug of cleaner w/ rags...

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X