Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brunswick tip of the week

I think it would be nice if we could exchange some of the tips and tricks learned through experience, to make jobs easier and faster. This would be a good reference that goes beyond what is in the manual. From those who have "been there". For example, Roscoe's gearbox dissassembly procedures. If each mech could post a tip or trick each week, then we would have a great database for quick repairs.

My tip..Rakes.

This weekend our junior bowlers had their state tournament. I went to watch Sunday and noticed something that really gets on my nerves. The center had A-2's with links. Their rake boards were all over the place!! Some were 5 " above the lane, and some actually hit the lane.

I use the method prescribed by Masternut, and all of my rakes are 2" - 2.5" above the lane at 90 degrees. Very seldom do we have a deadwood call due to the rake. I also adjust the sweep links to the spec in the manual to keep the rake from slamming against the stops so hard.

Just remember, the customer sees 2 adjustments on the machines. The rakes, and the pin spotting.

Masternut's rake balancing adjustment:
    The sweep pattern is different sweeping forward than sweeping back...

Take the first measurment between the 2,3_4,5,6 pin spots as the rake is going back(towards Pit).
    Take second measurment at 1" behind head pin as rake is comming forward.

These are the two lowest points in the cycle.You want to balance the cam until these measurment are the same(Within an 1/8).

If measurment 1 is lower than measurment 2 then you need to retard rake cam ,if measurment 1 is higher than measurment 2 then you need to advance rake cam.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

The rake is then adjusted as low as you want it. I usually go with 3/8", but 1/4" is now possible.

All other rake adjustments are as stated by the maunal. I just substitute this method in place of the rake cam adjustment.

Lets hear some other ideas!!!
    <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Re: Brunswick tip of the week

You have a good idea Adam. Maybe we can start a forum just for tips. Here's mine:
    Pin gate latch:
    When you remove the double x-pin for the latch, replace it with a 5/16-18x3 1/2" bolt and locknut. It makes for easier removing next time and you can snug the nut up so that the bolt doesn't turn and wear out mounting holes. PJ
    I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

PJ that idea works for a while. In a center I used to work at, someone came up with putting bolts in the pingate latch instead to the xpin. It worked great for a long time, but then all the latches starting hanging up. Upon further investigation, I found that the bolts they used had too much threads on them and over a period of time cut grooves in the oilite bearings that would cause the latches to seize up a little. It is a lot easier to change out a latch with a bolt that with a xpin, but you just need to make sure the threads don't cut into the oilites in the latch.

Comment

heres one.

if you have no #1 deck chutes, and need to replace one, and have a #7/#10, then trimm the 7/10 chute below the bumped out line on outside of 7/10 chute and you got a #1 chute.

Comment

Did you know you can see the worm wheel teeth through the oil drain hole?

Great for inspections! (while changing the oil)

Use a spot beam light and reflect it off a mirror into the hole. Have someone rotate the gearbox belt (by hand) to inspect all of the teeth.

Or, just remove the entire gearbox and turn it upside down.......

Ken

Comment

Ever get a moving deck cable stretch and aren't able to adjust it anymore?

Tie a knot in the cable between the top pulley on the deck and the pulley on the frame...I've gotten many more years out of a cable this way.

Keep the tips coming guys...this is a bonus topic!!

Comment

Great ideas!!

Here's a tip on pin spotting that I picked up.

When adjusting how the machine sets pins i.e. moving deck adjustment/deck height adjustment, I always get the cable adjustment as close to spec as possible, then fine tune the spotting with the deck height.

First, check deck lift shaft adj in the manual. Also make sure deck is level to lane.

Start with the deck at 15/16" above the lane. Set the moving deck cable by the book, or as close as possible without shifting problems. Stop pinsetter at 270 setting new pins. Upon restarting, observe if the pins are touched by the spotting fingers or stationary deck. Adjust the deck height to compensate (down for fingers/up for stationary deck), but do not go above 1 1/4" or below 1/2". If necessary, adjust the moving deck cable some more to gain more adjustment room.

Play with it for a while and you'll get it near perfect.

If almost all pins spot perfectly, shim the spotting fingers on those not to compensate for warped decks. Also check for bent or cracked fingers or damaged deck wheels.

I have found it best to have the spotting fingers lightly graze the pins when returning from 270. This will stabilize any wobbling and give a very smooth and consistent spotting cycle.

This method has worked very well for me. I have A-2's w/lowering links at Jetback speed. I believe this method should work for yokes too.

Once adjustments are made, re adjust deck holding hook to spec, and check the restricted drop linkage on the turret.

P.S. Sometimes these adjustments may not work due to worn parts or twisted keyways in the gearbox. I only have 1 machine in which this is the case though.

Questions..comments?

Keep those ideas coming!! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Adam D.
              <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Smoltz:
                Did you know you can see the worm wheel teeth through the oil drain hole?

Great for inspections! (while changing the oil)

Use a spot beam light and reflect it off a mirror into the hole. Have someone rotate the gearbox belt (by hand) to inspect all of the teeth.

Or, just remove the entire gearbox and turn it upside down.......

Ken
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Great idea (other than the removing the gearbox) [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Another idea I have posted before.

When checking the gearbox oil level, I use a REALLY long screwdriver. About 24".

To make it work, I observed the oil level through the port to make sure the GB was full. I then inserted the screwdriver into the fill hole. It'll only go one way and it sits in the same place everytime. I then observed the level on the screwdriver and groud a groove into the screwdriver at the proper oil level.

I now use it as a dipstick to do a quick check of oil level and condition. If gear problems are present, you will notice the dirty oil and know to gheck the gearbos ASAP.

I use this handy tool once every 2 months.

And yes the ports are clean, just too hard to see for me. (bad lighting)

P.S. Only do this while the pinsetter is off. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

Keep it coming. Here's one that most of you allready know. When changing a turret wire, put the lock washer under the bolt head instead of on top of the nut. Allows you a little more bite for your wrenct on the bolt head and you wont't loose the lock washer next time. Happy Easter to all of you. PJ
                  I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

Here's a couple that are universal to any machine or equipment for ya:

To keep quick disconnect (bullet terminals, spade or fork clips, etc...) crimp terminal wires from breaking off, slide a 1" piece of heat shrink tubing large enough to fit over the sleeve of the clip (usually #10 or so) down the wire before crimping the terminal on. Attach the terminal, slide the tube over it so it laps back on to the wire, and shrink it in place. It will eliminate the 'weak spot' where the stripped wire meets the terminal, reducing breakage from vibration and movement.

Put a drop of Superglue on the threads of small terminal/machine screws before tightening... it will act like loc-tite, but is cheaper and easier to break free later on if the screw needs to be loosened again.

A small audio amplifier and cable setup makes a good tool for testing microswitches... see my post in the AMF 82-70 forum under "Sweep overruns 0".

To quickly clean card-edge printed circuit connections, keep a pink rubber pencil eraser handy... rub it firmly over the PC connectors on the board, and blow off the dust... it will remove most minor dirt and film from them, and causes little or no wear.
                    <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Happy Easter- hope everybody that stayed open was busy...
                      I try to keep a mecury switch in its holder around so when a cherry switch fails you can run a #10 bolt through the holder and through the roll pin that holds the spring in the v lever-- adjust it so it tilts down when the rake is down, run a length of wire to the electric box 2 wuick connects done. 30 seconds instead of 5 minutes keeps bowlers happy.

PS: anybody know why brunswick got rid of the LED's on the triggering board?

Comment

(1)Use a bend it light(sears)to look into the gearbox to see the bronze gear moving,works great!
                        (2)Ever have a liftrod stud break and no spare to replace it with...use a bungee cord and wrap up the liftrod tightly,works well.
                        (3)Ever have a index trip lever spring break,have some spare tension springs around and use one from the trip lever to the cross conveyor mount,the right spring will save lots of time!(good idea to have an assortment of springs around,mine are from sears).
                        (4)Ever have a turret wire break an no spare,use a piece of tubing(clear or not)and put it over the broken area.Works in a pince if it's not broken under the cap.
                        (5)To help hold up the cushion when replacing the linkage assy.,try using some clothes line cord(nylon or not),tie up the cushion to the ball track tightly and it'll be real close to lining up the holes when you install the fresh assy.Wrap it up 2-3 times.I use it all the time for the 10 side linkage so i don't crawl into the pit.
                        (6)Hate walking on the decklights,use some anti-skid material(grainger has some)and put it on the top of the fixture for traction,also use it on your catwalks,steps.,no more fear of slipping!
                        (7)Need to just set the decks at 270 and hate climbing around to set the 2nd ball hook,well....get some 1/4 inch alumimun rod,bend it where needed to get around some items,put a knob of some sort on the end twords the catwalk and a rubber end by the 2nd ball solenoid for a cushion then install a j-hook under the catwalk to support the rod and you can set all your decks at 270 all day long without climbing up on the machines.This is one of my better ideas i have used for years!!Simply push the rod forward to set the 2nd ball hook and cycle the machine to 270.,now your ready to claen,inspect etc.(of course shut off the machine and unplug it before climbing in there!)
                        My motto iso It Right and Live Through The Night.
                        Maybe i can get a photo of number 7 made up,it may not look pretty BUT it works!
                        [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img]
                        Use what you have to,to get it through the shift then fix it right.Do it right and live through the night...Safety first!

Comment

I haven't tried it yet but would like to get some feedback on this. Has anyone ever put a hinge on the wireing side of the deck lamp support brace so one could just lift it up out of the way when your removing the deck or just working on something up front. I thought if a person could have a latch on the other end so it couldn't come out unless you unlatched it time could be saved when doing repairs.

Drill
                          Drill

David Bolt
                          Champaign, IL
                          USBC Silver Coach
                          IBPSIA BOD
                          IBPSIA Advanced
                          Technical Certified
                          Pro Shops

Comment

I tried that decklight hindge thing on a machine and it turned out pretty good,use a goooood heavy duty hindge and bolt it up then you can secure it with whatever you want when lifted,i used a bungee cord,even a coathanger trye of item would work as long as it's strong.Thing is on the other end of the decklight try using a pin instead of the bolts so this way you can remove them faster,look around for what you like to use there.
                            This idea is also great for changing decklights when they burn out.,just flip the unit up and change that puppy!
                            I should have marketed some of my ideas long ago i guess.,but i have ALOT more to make life easier for the mechanics.
                            [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img]
                            Use what you have to,to get it through the shift then fix it right.Do it right and live through the night...Safety first!

Comment

I'm sure all of you have done this at least once, but I'll post it anyway just in case.
                              Ok it's league night you've got a full house their in the middle of the game no where to move in case of breakdown sweep arm breaks and falls off. Quick fix takes about 1-2 minutes. Remove X washer pin from sweep arm to sweep put a broom stick in and reattach. Boom your done. It's not very pretty and you may get some DW but it will get you through the night. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]
                              John B
                              ------------
                              just fix it

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X