Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Holding Hook Problem

Hi, got a intermittent problem with my factory converted A2, the deck holding hook on the 2nd ball periodically fails locking onto the deck post keeping the deck from spotting new pins at 270'. The rake fails to sweep causing a respot situation in order to clear the call, [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] I've check the obvious (holding hook adjustment, Out of range latch, and holding hook latch adj.} All were ok had to make a minor adjustment for the O.O.R. and its fine now. Also checked the deck post pin and the bearing on the deck holding hook selector and related springs, all ok. Considering taking the dector off next but I've got a feeling that I am missing something, any ideas would be greatly appriciated

Thanks, Toolman

Re: Intermittent Holding Hook Problem

Sorry about that, The Bearing I checked was on the Standing pins cam follower.

Toolman

Comment

Toolman:
      Flip the out of range holding stinger into the up position, and see if the problem goes away. As you mentioned that the OOR adjustments, as well as the sweep hook adjs., have been made , it points to worn pins and pin holes in the sweep hook mech. When this happens, its very difficult to obtain the clearance necessary for sweep hook operation and at the same time, to have the proper gap in the out of range lock.
      Hope of some help.
      Roscoe.
      rfm

Comment

TooLman:
        Do check the bearing on the sweep hook, holding hook selector. If the outer shell is not gone, rotate the bearing to ensure its not cracked. This also will cause the adjs., to change.
        Roscoe.
        rfm

Comment

Thanks Roscoe, checked the bearing already in the manner you describe, its fine did however fine that the roll pin bore on the rake shaft was slightly oval, went oversize on it, checked the O.O.R adj and latch, so far everything is ok??? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

looks like I celebrated too soon, I think I've got a detector problem and since I don't have a spare available I am going to to have to try and diagnose the one on the machine. Any suggestions??

Toolman

Comment

Try swapping detectors with the next machine, at least you will be able to narrow down the problem. PJ
              I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

Toolman:
                Perhaps I missed whether you had flipped the out of range latch into the up position,(part # 12-250044). By doing this, one can ascertain wherein the problem lies, if it goes away, the problem is in the out of range,sweep hook linkage area. If the rake does not sweep and the deck hook stays down it has to be involving the one selector lever in the detector that controls both operations.
                If you have not tried that yet, do it before going any furthur.
                Good luck.
                Roscoe.
                rfm

Comment

Man....this is why I come here everyday and read. Lane 1.....flipped the OOR latch up and the problem Toolman is speaking of on my machine went away. Now I know where to start!

Thanks to all who take the time to respond to questions. This site has been lifesaver to me. (Butter Rum to be exact).

......rob
                  Space is the Place!

Comment

Hi Roscoe, I forgot to mentioned that I flipped the OOR latch up when this problem had started. It reduced the occurance but didn't solve the problem. After 3x checking the related adjs (deck holding hook, OOR adj, Lowering latch, detector adj and related linkages, bearings and assemblies), I am almost certain the problem is in the detector somewhere on the A or C shaft, unfortunately I don't have a detector to replace it with, I was considering swaping detectors with another lane to confirm the problem. In either case I welcome and appriciate anyones suggestions,

Toolman

Comment

Toolman:
                      One might also check the rake lever shoe (pt# 12-250265) for binding, either on the shaft or any linkage associated with it. Also check to see that the sweep hook itself has no bind and that the springs, 12-250050 and 12-100156 are in place and of the correct tension. Enough for tonight, check you in the morning.
                      Good hunting, my friend.
                      Roscoe.
                      rfm

Comment

Hi there, well I can say with 95%++??? accuracy that I've found the problem. The detector latch on the "A" shaft decided that it wanted to fracture just below the selector cam on the 1:1. Makes me wonder if someone didn't clear a jam properly, the end result, the standing pins follower on the "C" shaft periodically forced the latch out of the way causing the deck hook's failure to raise at proper times, it also explains why despite numerous adjustments that appeared to set everything straight ultimately failed elevating my blood pressure in response. So, I've replaced the latch along with the bushings, checked everything out and the machine has gone 60+ games with hopefully, not a repeat. No w I just need to convince my G.M. to acquire another detector, its definetly not fun repairing the assembly on the machine. Thanks Roscoe and everyone else for you're help, I hope this episode in humility is over.

Toolman

Comment

Hi there, yeah that done it machine hasn't repeated the problem since. Thanks again to everyone,

Toolman

Comment

Toolman:
                            Congrats on finding a most difficult to diagnose problem. Don't see much reason for humility on your part. Thanks from all, for posting the soloution.
                            Roscoe.
                            rfm

Comment

This is why this site is so helpful you can get the answears for trouble shooting even the more complex issues and the resources here are endless amazing and good work!
                              Thank You All! For All the prayers and and the out pouring of good spirits in my time of need greatly appreciated!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X