Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypassing the deck jam switch- OH NO

I'd like to tell a little story about a man named "T "my asst. in training.
    He had a deck jam one night and couldn't find anything wrong no pins in buckets. He looked at the deck control cable and noticed the pin all the way down. He then proceeded to push in on the micro switch with a screwdriver to get the machine on. Everybody in the center heard the machine break free then started continuous cycling. The next morning I found a broken 1:1 cover assy and the clutch reset lever was twisted like a pretzel hence cont. cycle, then T shows up and tells me what happened. After I finished screaming at him I told him you broke it you fix it he agreed. Of course I had to supervise him since he didn't have a clue. 13 hours later the machine now runs however we have a little problem. We can't level the deck it is 1 in. higher on one side stabilizer rods can't adj. rear of deck down nose up or nose down rear up always an inch difference side to side. Can't lower deck any more or it won't come back to zero high enough. Pins wobble both fingers and front of chutes contact pins at different spots. So cable adj. is a nightmare. (all cables replaced)
    So now I have to ask HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What is my problem? Is the deck shaft bowed or bent ever so slightly that I can't see it. What am I missing.
    [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]
    John B
    ------------
    just fix it

Re: Bypassing the deck jam switch- OH NO

sounds like he bent/broke the moving deck.i could
    be wrong but i can help you more if i could see it
    sorry i could not be more of a help.
    have fun,
    rich
    the little things cause the big problems

Comment

The deck shifts fine no restriction.
      John B
      ------------
      just fix it

Comment

Sounds like the deck lift shaft may have twisted. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img] . If the machine set pins fine before the jam and override of the switch then this is one option to check. Problem is its very hard to see the twist no matter how you view it.

Its more work then needed to be done but if you have a spare deck lift shaft and time, I would swap it out. If the other mechs here have more suggestions here to help see what there input is.
        Just givin you my 2 cents worth [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Good luck [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

msbowl [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The shaft being twisted/bent WOULD be very difficult to see, if for no other reason then you would have a hard time getting in there to line the sight up, but a 4' level laying across the arms at different places will tell the tale. Set the deck down, pin spotting hi, lay level across arms NEAR shaft, not on, and move out a bit at a time, or just straight out to the end. Watch the little bubble and away you go. With the shaft twisted or bent, but stabilizers 'normal', yes, everything is going to be whompijawed, and stay that way.

Comment

I'm going in Monday morning. I'll check with the level. How about that pin wobble problem? Think about it and see if you can suggest something for me. Thanks for your responses, I'll let you know what I find.
            John B
            ------------
            just fix it

Comment

I came across a similar problem were I couldn't level the deck after I noticed the pins were being set way off spot. It was caused by one of the bearings in the deck lift shaft that was busted. I'm not sure if you inspected the bearings or not, but that is were I would start.

Comment

Ok deck shaft is not bent, bearings are good stabilizer rod ends and shafts are ok. I got the deck pretty level. Deck cable has been adjusted by the book and still the pins wobble a little. The spotting fingers hit so I slacken the cable then the deck chutes hit so I tighten a little. Then we are back to the fingers.
                Man what is going on I'm going nuts.
                Geneva plates are ok bearings are ok, deck rollers ok spotting fingers look ok.
                I'm still missing something.
                John B
                ------------
                just fix it

Comment

Where did you get the 1-1 from? It is possible that it has the wrong scissor/moving deck cam on it. There are two different cams. One if your machine has lowering link and one for a scotch yoke. The wrong one will not work and it will do pretty much what your machine is doing.

Comment

check if you are a broken key or loosse key way on your 1-1 moving deck and cisors cam

Comment

willy b
                      Thank you. I thought the gearbox that was laying on the floor cam from a center we closed that had all A machines but, now that I think about it the 1:1 assy had only one cam on it where the clutch reset lever goes. That would mean it is an A2 which uses scotch yoke and I have lowering links.
                      I'll bet your right I got the wrong scissor cam on it. :p
                      John B
                      ------------
                      just fix it

Comment

Did it also shift really hard when it came back up to zero degrees?

Comment

No it doesn't shift hard when coming back to zero.
                          Well here is where I'm at today. The correct MD/scissor cam is on. Today I talked to a fellow mechanic and he said to check the cable pulleys and shaft to see if the key sheared. Well that was ok too, however I did find that the pulleys are not as free as they should be so I sprayed PB blaster into the needle bearings to free them up a bit. This should get them through tonight until I can replace the shaft and bearings tomorrow. After I got more freedom on pulley movement I was able to adjust the deck cable so setting new pins wouldn't wobble, still a little wobble on standing pins but they don't fall over.
                          Hopefully I will write the final chapter tomorrow after the machine is fixed.
                          Thanks Jim for bringing my attention to this area. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
                          John B
                          ------------
                          just fix it

Comment

Hi TP
                            Did you make sure that the 1to1 Is timed correctly. If It Is off one tooth That can happen, you can go nuts trying to get the pins to set correctly. I have acctualy seen pinsetters run being one tooth off but not set pins to good. The bad news Is once you time It correctly If need be, You will be making adjustments again after that.
                            The Master
                            Good Luck
                            DO A NEAT CLEAN JOB, AND FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. THE ONLY WAY TO WORK.

Comment

Check the deck at around 285 degrees with pins in the buckets,make sure the large torsion spring is taking the deck back as far as possible at that time ( this is roughly where the deck fingers are level with the belly of the pins) it is possible that the torsion spring has been released at some time and re-assembled with too little tension on it, if you can push moving deck back a little at 285 so the fingers are away from the pins then you may need to re-tension the spring. 285 is roughly when the rake crank arm is in the vertical position. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X