Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOR

Hey Guys,

Gret resource for learning here. You guys are doing a Class A job!! I am VERy new at the job. Have never formally been trained (classes, seminars etc.) but have been learning as I go along with the Head Mechanic. One question, that I have heard several answers for. If I am running a callfor an OOR, should I first reset the OOR lever, and then clear the dead wood, or is it safe to clear the dead wood before you reset the OOR? I have hered that if you shake the deck and trhe pin fals, the deck will crash to the deck. Is that true or not? Thanks so much. (As you can tell like I said before, I am REALLY green :-)
    There are no dumb questions. Only dumb people that don't give well thought-out answer to questions.

Re: OOR

180blackout:
    First pull oor rod, then shut power off just as deck comes up, be sure to shut off before deck weight goes on to deck hook. Clear deadwood at this time, either from curtain or the front, as the rake is still down to protect you. In answer to you question as to the deck falling, it will indeed, if there are no other pins standing.
    JMO.
    Roscoe
    rfm

Comment

First I lift the curtain to see what pins are standing and if there is any deadwood. Then I pull the OOR and as soon as the deck holding hook hooks, I shut the machine off. Then clear the dead wood and sometimes set the OOR pin back up because it fell over when the deck lifted.
      Howard

Comment

Howard:
        The object of the missive was not to let the deck holding hook have the weight of the deck. Shut machine off before the hook has weight. Unless one is familiar with looking at the deck operating mechanisms, and determining whether it is save to get under deck, let the gearbox handle the load. There are many whom read these posts, and however simple it sounds to experienced mechanics, we must remember, we are in fact, telling less experienced people how to handle suitations. One must err, not on the quickest way, but the safest way.
        Your friend in the business.
        Roscoe.
        rfm

Comment

Good point Roscoe. I go for having the holding hook hooked and, the deck lowering link up. Double covered.
          Howard

Comment

Roscoe is absolutely right! The way he describes is the way I was taught and the way I teach my chasers. The point of having the rake down, I think, is very important. When you have seniors, who call the wrong lane, or Rock @ Bowl who don't care because they are just trying to get as many games as possible. The rake is your only protection for a ball thrown down the wrong lane or thrown as soon as the rakes goes up. Both have happened to me.

Comment

Ease up guys...Roscoes head is going to explode! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
              Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

Originally posted by Howard:
                First I lift the curtain to see what pins are standing and if there is any deadwood. Then I pull the OOR and as soon as the deck holding hook hooks, I shut the machine off. Then clear the dead wood and sometimes set the OOR pin back up because it fell over when the deck lifted.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I know this is an old post...but if the pin is knocked over while clearing the OOR...the pin must be returned to the spot where it originated from before the ball was thrown. Seeing as pins can move from any spot to anywhere on the pin deck during an OOR, how would you know where to put it? I instruct my people to leave it if it is knocked over and wait for the bowlers to decide where it came from. (There is an ABC rule that covers this situation)

Rule 6b. Illegal Pinfall

What do you do if this happens in your house? Just setting the pin back up doesn't always follow the rule...thoughts? Comments?
                TSM & TSM Training Development
                Main Event Entertainment
                480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

I always cite Rule 7a.

No change can be made in the position of any pins left standing after a delivery, unless the pinsetter moved or misplaced any pin after the first delivery.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This one kills the PA requests to move that 7 pin "a little to the left." "No, not that far, go back the way you came." "The bowler is telling me that it was a bit more forwarder than that." "Well, sort of between the four, seven and eight."
                  Tourney bowlers seem to love to sweep unfavorable OORs and play with the respotting. This is the rule that says "Play it as it stands, bitch!"

Of course, if they sweep it, they pick the spot. There is much room for fudging here depending on teammates and opponents.

Comment

Actually, you should be putting a fallen pin back in the position from which it came. If the 4 slides all the way over to the 10 pin position and the machine knocks it over (or the bowler accidently presses the reset button [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] ), you should back on the 4 pin spot. The only exception should be if you make it fall over when you go to clear deadwood since you can obviously see where it was standing.

As for cheaters, I've seen a few do the old "I think the 9 pin was missing" routine. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img] And that pisses me off beyond belief when I know damned well that particular machine sets rock solid racks.
                    &quot;I've got 3 boards to play... and they all have arrows on them.&quot;

Comment

Kirby...you didn't read the rule. It is black and white. You can not put it back where you think it was if you knock it over. It must go back from where it started BEFORE the ball was thrown. And since you don't know where it started from (except if nine pins are standing and 1 pin is laying down...it's a good guess you can tell where it came from...lol), you must wait for the bowlers to tell you where they want it.

Here is the actual print from the rule...note the last paragraph...

Illegal Pinfall
                      Rule 6b. When any of the following occur the delivery counts but the resulting pinfall does not:
                      1. A ball leaves the lane before reaching the pins.
                      2. A ball rebounds from the rear cushion.
                      3. A pin rebounds after coming in contact with the body, arms or legs of a human pinsetter.
                      4. A pin is touched by mechanical pinsetting equipment.
                      5. Any pin knocked down when dead wood is being removed.
                      6. Any pin knocked down by a human pinsetter.
                      7. The player commits a foul.
                      8. A delivery is made with dead wood on the lane or in the gutter and the ball contacts such dead wood before leaving the lane surface.

If illegal pinfall occurs and the player is entitled to additional deliveries in the frame, the pin(s) illegally knocked down must be respotted where they originally stood before delivery of the ball.
                      Main Event Entertainment

Comment

I stand corrected JB. But what happens when YOU cause the pin to fall and then ask the bowler which position it came from?

a.) They shrug their shoulders and a glazed look fills their eyes.

b.) They tell you where it came from and happily shoot at the spare.

c.) The entire team asks you "what kind of a stupid question is that" and then proceed to call league meetings, page the manager, call the owner, then tar and feather you.

It's a no-win at that point. But you are correct.
                        &quot;I've got 3 boards to play... and they all have arrows on them.&quot;

Comment

If I knock it over...I just throw the pin in the pit...climb up and wait for a call to respot such and such pins or for a ball to be thrown. It is a no win situation...that's why we have to be very careful when clearing the deadwood to not knock over any pins...especially the offspot pin. It would be nice if bowlers understood more of the rules of the game...but alot of them don't...and they tend to blame it on us when they don't know...

Here is a test put out by Bowl.com for anybody who wants to see how much they know about the rules of the game...I got them all wrong...OK...I did get one right...but I looked it up before I answered.

Rules Quiz
                          Main Event Entertainment

Comment

I took the quiz. Got 4 of the 5 right, but I guessed on all of them. Just lucky guesses for me.

Joey

Comment

3 out of 5 and here i thought i was so smart lol
                              What do you mean! There were spare parts?

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X