Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes this???

Lane #7. The darn thing stops at about 140 degrees, also stops at about 300 degrees. Motor overheats and kicks out the overload. Already changed the 4:1. Found the problem...just wanted to see what the worlds best techs could come up with. Model A using A style pulleys. No bind in the rake spring compression spring, No bind in the deck shaft bearings. Machine is up and running now. Just wanted to check on the knowledge pool!
    Anybody have a guess at what this PITA was???

billman
    let me be myself

Re: What causes this???

Billman:
    Interesting. I would go for the clutch disc, and or, the main hub where it was worn enough that the front facing didn't contact owing to bearing interference with the hub. Or the disc bearing was installed on the wrong side of the disc, presenting the same problem. These are neat types of questions ,that can only benefit all that participate.

JMO.
    Roscoe
    rfm

Comment

Billman:
      Probably should have suggested to check the oil level first.
      Your friend.
      Roscoe.
      rfm

Comment

New clutch components installed when the 4:1 was changed!! Oil level is fine!!
        Any more guesses??

billman
        let me be myself

Comment

Hint....rake arms are not binding

billman
          let me be myself

Comment

Billman:
            Is it only exclusive to standing pins cycles, or does it stop while coming up from setting pins. If standing pins then I would move on to a dry eccenctric.
            Roscoe.
            rfm

Comment

It would happen on both strike and standing pin cycles!
              Next hint...gearbox was NOT the problem. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

billman
              [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img]
              let me be myself

Comment

Billman:
                How many amps was mtr. pulling at that pointRoscoe.
                rfm

Comment

Hi - is this a Homer Simpson? Was there a problem with the motor pulley? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

OK...no more hints!! This machine has an old Federal-Pacific motor contactor. These contactors have removable sets of contacts. (nice for cleaning the points) One set of contacts mysteriously came out of the contactor!! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] Motor was trying to run under low voltage! Problem only showed up when the motor was under a heavy load. (pretty much the same points in the cycle where a 4:1 will crap out) Bent the little clippy thing (technical term) so it would stay in the contactor. Presto!! No more stopping and kicking out the overload! This is one for the books!!

billman
                    [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img]
                    let me be myself

Comment

that was going to be my next guess [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

alex
                      Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
                      Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
                      Cloth: ShamWow!
                      Machine: Johnny 5
                      Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

I had that problem a couple of times but it was so long ago I had forgotten about it.
                        This is what makes this job so interesting. There are very little standard procedures for trouble shooting wierd stops. It takes dedicated experienced people to hunt and peck til we find the cause.There are only so mant things that go wrong with other machines such as cars, boats, air conditioners etc. When bowling machines have problems there can be a multitude of problems or just one PITA that is hidden.
                        Nice find Billman
                        John B
                        ------------
                        just fix it

Comment

Hey Billman speaking of the removeable contactors for the old federal-pacific's do you know where a guy can pick up a couple of those. I have 2 lanes that contacts are getting bad on would like to slide a new set in instead of changing the contactor. Thanks for any leads you can send my way.

Playball2hard
                          Treat everyday like it could be your last day!

Comment

I have a friend that might have a couple of the Federal Pacific motor contactors for sale. You can email me at wjf22@bowlingtech.com. Thanks.

Comment

I had a pinsetter, a while ago, that would stop at about 330. Turns out that it was a frozen rake cam follower bearing. As the high of the rake cam would raise the rake, the gearbox would stop. Changing that bearing got her humming again.

Now, I know that billman said that the problem was not the gearbox, but maybe he was trying to throw us off the scent. Is the bearing I was referring to above the cause? Don't know if you consider the rake cam follower part of the gearbox, but I just thought I throw a guess in.

It would explain the pinsetter stopping at 300, but 140??? I am clueless...

Houseball

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X