I've been out of this business for about
    7 years now and trying to remember all those
    little tricks since I've returned.

what can I use to stop my short turret belt from
    squealing that will not affect it. I heard soap
    but that doesn't seem right.
    I may be an [beep] but then again i'm honest

Re: turret belt squeal

New belt and pulley, everything else is short term like sanding the pulley with emery cloth.
    You can also sand the top and bottom of the belt slightly to break the glaze but, you'll be doing it again in a month. I simply tell whom ever it is complaining about it that, that is what a Brunswick machine sounds like when it's running and I can take care of it very easily by turning it off. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
    John B
    ------------
    just fix it

Comment

IT is a new pulley the belt is older but has
      no breaaks I mean its still good It looks dried
      out

Comment

Do you have a spare belt to put on or try switching it with another machine. Also make sure it is the belt that is squealing and not the friction disc, or the bearings.
        John B
        ------------
        just fix it

Comment

well the drive pulley was warm to the touch
          I do have another belt on one of the machines
          I was doing usual inspection on squealed when I
          moved turret by hand

Comment

I have machines that squeal when you move the turret. This is an indication that the belt is glazed over. When you turn the turret you are moving the belt across the pulley which is not turning thereby making it squeal if it already has a tendency to. One way to know for sure if the squeal is coming from the belt and pulley is to turn on the machine, then while it is squealing grab the belt and twist it and listen to see if the tone changes or you can feel the vibration through the belt as it rubs on the rotating pulley.
            John B
            ------------
            just fix it

Comment

As far as I know there is no definite cure for the squeal. Many proprietors and managers are tired of hearing it [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img] but we always try our best to explain to them why it happens. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif[/img] Some understand, some dont [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] / Its a never ending battle.

msbowl [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

get the bowl-tronics motor saver kits. they should be called the turret belt saver kits. i put the kits in 4 of my machines to test them out. i put them on the machines that they use for birthday parties, so they will get left on for an hour at a time without anyone bowling on it. i haven't touched the turret since i put those kits on.

alex
                Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
                Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
                Cloth: ShamWow!
                Machine: Johnny 5
                Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

I'm working on a cost effective solution for this problem at this very moment. I have prototypes that have been on all 24 of my machines for up to 12 years. I have just converted my last machine this summer. I know of at least 5 machines that have had this upgrade on for 12 years. I'm not going through to much detail at this time as I'm still working on the manufacturing details of it. I expect to be done with that by the end of summer.

Comment

I'm working on a cost effective solution for this problem at this very moment. I have prototypes that have been on all 24 of my machines for up to 12 years. I have just converted my last machine this summer. I know of at least 5 machines that have had this upgrade on for 12 years. I'm not going through to much detail at this time as I'm still working on the manufacturing details of it. I expect to be done with that by the end of summer.

Comment

Well being an auto mechanic on the side I went to
                      the local auto parts store and got some belt dressing so far it did the trick it took a couple
                      minutes but its working

Comment

The only thing that I have found over the years to work was to replace the pulleys and the belt at the same time.
                        make it tighter and cleaner ten it was

Comment

<<<Yes, he ~IS~ still alive!>>>

Been in hiding for a while but I ~gotta~ jump in on this one.

First - start with a ~good~ short belt (ie, not a cheap knockoff - I've seen new crap ones squeal where old quality (not capitalized) belts wouldn't.

Sanding/deglazing pulley is a good tip/trick.
                          Belt dressing is ~not~. It may temporarily solve/mask the noise, but it is ~not~ a stable solution. I tried that ~once~, eight years ago... and my a$$ ~STILL~ hurts from the reaming my boss gave me [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]

Functionally, yeah, it's a bandaid - but cosmetically? Man, those things are hard enough to keep clean, without having globs of that crap spraying and dripping everywhere. What a mess.

Oh, yeah. 5 years later, the coin had flipped, and I "got" mine. Similar situation, some numbnut working below me (while I was away) decided he'd cure a newly noisy belt. Bought some new form of belt dressing - came in a stick, not a spray. Didn't bother telling me about it - at all. Had the consistancy of butyl rubber, and ended up being ~VERY~ sticky. Yeah, this was on an A2 Accelerator that flung off the drive belt. A week later, I'm down there replacing the accelerator MOTOR!!! and start diagnosing ~why~ it failed. Then spent an hour trying to figure out what that sticky goo was on both pulleys... Then found the belt dressing stick hidden on a shelf, with a groove worn in it... Hmmm.... Two plus two equals I'm gonna kick someone's a... Oh, sorry, getting sidetracked! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, belt dressing's bad, mmmkay? Start with a well made belt (I'll not use the term 'quality' this time - although I had good luck with theirs) Make sure the pulley is clean, and make sure the long belt is in adjustment. I've often quieted the short belt just by tightening the tensioner spring on the long belt.

As for belt brands, I'm sure someone here can chime in on good and bad companies. I've not been in the machines for quite a while, so I can't remember what belts I had the best luck with. (And the Qual units I was used to are probably now cheapo replacements like everything else they were sending us... ...grr... ) [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Hope this helps.
                          Oldsmagnet -- Sidney MT

Comment

Thanks Mr.Mackey

I only put the dressing on one lane as a test
                            but it really didn't help

If anyone can find me a better belt please help

Comment

Cab
                              I find the Bruns belts are good. I order the 12-150113-600. The 600 belt is 1/2 in longer and works really well on my machines and Bruns cannot substitute it with Quality belts because they do not stock the longer belt.
                              John B
                              ------------
                              just fix it

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X