Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox pin coming out

We've recently noticed this "dowel pin" coming out. We've been checking it daily, but every 3 or 4 days it works its way out enough that you need drive it back in with a punch until it is flush with the plate (cycle the machine to get the cams out of the way).

It goes in from the 7 pin side towards the gearbox. I'd say its about 3/16" diameter. It mounts through the detector plate. Looking from the 7 pin side, its in the top-left corner of detector plate. We found it because it had worked its way out enough to start contacting the scissor cam, and it started squealing. Scissor cam got scored up a little bit. I cannot find this pin called out in any gearbox breakdown schematics. I'm wondering if its some sort of alignment dowel pin. There is a bolt right next to it, down at about a 45 degree angle.

This is on a Brunswick refurbished A2. I checked all our A's, no problem. I found another loose pin (same one) on another refurbished A2. Very loose, just shoved it in flush with plate, and covered with black tape so it won't come out. The one in the picture is tight, you have to drive it in with a punch. Wonder if I need to secure it in flush with some lock-tight?

Thanks
    rob

Re: Gearbox pin coming out

Very interesting, I see what you are talking about. When i get back to work on Tue. I will look into this more. I see it on our spare GB, I am very curious myself.
    Mark
    (919) 757-1789

Comment

Yes, that pin (and at least one other) aligns the assembly when you assemble it.

I've heard of guys lock-titing them, the one you have coming loose is the one that's easy to get at ... what I'd try first is to take a center punch and put it real close to the edge of the steel plate, and smack a few dimples into the metal to stake the pin back in. Better yet, if you have a MIG, just slap a spot weld on it and forget it forever ... pin and plate are both steel ...

THe one that I had grief from was the one down next to the flag ... tried staking it, finally had to pull the 1/1 just because that damn pin would work loose and interfere with the flag's motion:

Kevin

Comment

kevin, i feel your pain i had to pull a 1:1 just because of that $0.15 pin. it was pretty irritating. i think when i reassembled we scared the pin with a chisel and pressed it back it in.
        Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
        Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
        Cloth: ShamWow!
        Machine: Johnny 5
        Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

Rob:
          The pin in question is in fact a hardened 1/4" dowel pin. Do not try to knurl pin as it will result in metal flakes going to your eyeballs, it is as hard as a drill bit. Your best bet is to remove the pin completly, then the bolt, put locktite,(shaft mount), on the bolt and reinstall. Be advised, that the reason the dowel came loose in the first place is because all three of the the allen bolts are loose. One can, by removong the rake cam, and unhooking the flag, acess all three bolts, each at an individual point on machine timing. The reason for removing the dowel pin entirely, is the cover now has a limited life span, but as long as the bolt in question is tight(with locktight), wait until you have a cam loosness or a cracked cover to replace it.
          Roscoe.
          rfm

Comment

kevin we have the one your talking about I think causing some issues here I'll check to make sure and post back!
            Thank You All! For All the prayers and and the out pouring of good spirits in my time of need greatly appreciated!

Comment

I have had some luck doing what Kevin suggested with punching them in and then punching the plate around the pin. Both of mine where behind the latch. Also as Roscoe said you will need to get all three bolt tight.
              formerly dunsel
              ITS NOT HOW MUCH YOU KNOW ITS HOW MUCH YOU CARE!!!!!

Comment

Notice that red rust around that bolt? This is because your degree plate is loose. This is caused by excessive deck jams.

Place your fingers on the degree plate while it cycles, notice the movement.

You can get to 2 of the bolts to tighten them down. But they will come loose again over time.

And F.Y.I, You have an "A" Style Machine. Whether it's a JetBack or not, A-2's have a lot more modifications. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                Cody C. Stone. Frame Maker Intl.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                Working...
                X