Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative inventions to resolve common problems

Allways love to try creative things on the machines to solve problems - Running 50 year old machines that should be in pinsetter heaven is enough of a challenge. After spending so much time working on these dinosaurs, I can see so many things/parts that are nothing more than problem makers. For example - The entire ball wheel / lift rod assembly is nothing more than a money costing pain. How hard would it be to slow down the ball wheel (pulley) and then install a curved holder that will "cradle" the ball, then the lift rods and covers will only be there as a guide to keep the ball from falling back into the pit. The ball will then release on it's own at the top onto the transfer track by gravity. Now, with a very slight modification, you will no longer need expensive traction strips, expensive lift rod covers, bridge kits to repair broken framework from stress, totally eliminate spinning balls and multiple balls in the pit. There goes a couple hundred dollars and about a ton of calls per year. Does anyone have ideas such as this and where are they discussed if so ?

Re: Creative inventions to resolve common problems

We have been slowing down the ball wheels for some time......kind of curious though...you must be both and AMF and “B” mechanic....checked the “home page” and you have 70’s posted there. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

The ball cradle idea has already been done ! I dont remember the name of it but it was on here quite a while back with a web site addreww and a video of how it worked. Was VERY expensive, had to slow down ball wheel with a pulley change, along with a few other things. Someone help me out on the name of that thing.
      Marty

Comment

The name of the "ball cradle" thingy is Ball Chaser.....

Finally, I have contributed....

Comment

Hello Ed and others.
          [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] I work in a chain that has brunswick and AMF centers, though I only work on brunswicks. I was pretty sure that the idea was not a "new" one, but was just making a point that after looking at the machines for so long, you can't help but notice things that could be modified to save costs and eliminate some calls. I would much rather create the device myself then to pay for the part, so cost would not be a big factor. My opinion is that the ball wheel / lift rod assembly is not up to date with the various ball covers and various oils used now. A current issue I have is with a few bowlers that use slightly undersized balls and those who seem to be ignorant to the concept of wiping a ball off before throwing it. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] So, there are multiple ball returns during league play and no adjustment in the world will pick up both an undersized high end ball, an oil soaked older ball, and a plastic ball with oil on it (on the same lane) I see "inventions" from mechanics added to the parts catalogs and am determined to one day find or make something that will resolve the "nusiance" calls. (Although it is great exercise, running from one end of the house to the other to get spinning balls up the lift rods) [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Monkey, I did a search on the ball chaser and didnt find anything. I remember the biggest problem was with the scoop to pick up the ball. Couldnt be too big - it would hit the frame up around the cross conveyor, the material it was made of and how it was attached to the ball wheel. Not sure if any of these were actually sold to anyone or not. Taking about expensive traction strips, Ask Ed Fox for a sample of his strips, they are 1/3 the cost of the rubber ones from B and are just as good in my view.
            Marty

Comment

Thanks for the plug Marty. I would be more then happy to send you a sample but correct me if I’m wrong, I familiar with T-Bird and I believe you have to do most of your purchasing from Duke. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
              Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

So far the only thing I see about slowing down the ball wheel is that it also slows down the pit. Now that may change the speed of the pins getting to the conveyor, thus slowing the cycling of the machine. Seems to me your better off leaving well enough alone. Solution to undersized balls is carpet strips on the ball wheel. Make sure they are the same length as your lift rod assembly. Install in pairs this way if the glue releases then you still have one on.

msbowl [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

MSBOWL:
                  Using strips on a current speed ball wheel? What happens to the aforementioned, resin balls? They hit the cross conveyor pulley or in the case of an A- the turn pan. There is a very simple releationship, between the jackshaft mounted ball wheel drive pulley, and the pit drive pulley, to maintain pit speed. Simply keep the OD's the same.
                  Masternut settled on a jackshaft pulley OD of 3.85 in. which leaves everything including spring tension length, pit speed, and ball wheel belt back idleing angle, within accecptable parameters.
                  Works well in most applications, but if one needs more pit speed, a gates nohub, pulley counterbored to 1 1/8" to accecpt the proper length of nut threads can be utilized. Believe me,
                  in this is a proper fix to handle return problems on A, A-2 style mchs. I, personally, have done over two thousand lanes with this mod, with no call backs.
                  Roscoe.
                  rfm

Comment

The slowdown on the ball wheel works wonders, did all 16 of mine, and ball damage and ball calls have both almost disappeared. If you slow down the ball wheel enough, the pit does need to be brought back to its normal speed, but changing two pulleys to get rid of ball problems is a good deal:

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by marty murphy:
                      Hey Monkey, I did a search on the ball chaser and didnt find anything.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> This thread makes reference to it, but also makes reference to this earlier thread . The site no longer makes reference to anything resembling a pinsetter mod.

Comment

Thanks for the info -
                        And to Ed Fox, the other centers in our chain use
                        Duke but ours gets our parts from various sources, and not much from Duke. I'll send you a mail as far as the sample strips. Thanks for the input from everyone, will look into slowing ball wheel speed. Another creative use for the self ashesive traction strips is to place a 3 inch piece right on the curve of the new sytle snubber - it makes the pin slow and stand almost upright before dropping into the turret. A quick fix when you dont have time to put a lane down to change worn parts. This is useful if the pins tend to drop to the spoons but don't depress the index lever. (usually 1-7&amp;10) Of course the proper adjustments are needed eventually, but the traction strip piece will keep the 180's away for a week or so until there is time.

Comment

We run 48 A-2's and ball calls are pretty low as of late. I'm going through and making sure all of the lift rod and spring rod adjustments are just right. We usr the occasional helper spring for crappy balls, but that is all. If you clean your ballwheels, lift rod hoses, and change your carpet covers regulary, you won't have to spend money for mods, just 20 min a day to clean these items.

But not to say were perfect...our problem is not having enough good cross conveyor belts [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]
                          Hard work and determination is the answer to all problems.

Comment

This is my kind of subject. I love to try to reinvent the wheel. I have thought about this subject awhile ago, and how this problem could be solved. The "cradle" idea could work. Here is what i have invisioned. Have the cradle come out of the ball wheel only when the ball is on top of the wheel in the pit to keep the ball from damage as it enters the lift rods. Next after the ball is delivered to the top of lift rods it would retract back into the ball wheel to clear cross conveyor. As everyone says you would have to slow down the ball wheel, but ideal would be to have it only start up when ball is in lift position, but that would be trouble some on the expence of doing this. It could be done, but in know way would a company do it to a market stand point. Nobody would pay for this type upgrade. By the way billman, Im going to pick-up my two proto-types tomorow 10/13/02. They are each made of different materials. One is for me and one is for you. I will need a shipping address from you and you should receive next week. You can email me at IBProducts@aol.com, thanks for your help in testing this for me.
                            Kurt

Comment

Thanks to all for the input, I'm happy to find others that have some creativity [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] I didn't want to stay on ball wheel mods as the only topic but hoped that it would branch into all the various assemblies but none-the-less the response was good. I just can't look at one of these things running and not think to myself "self ?....what little things can I do to make this dinosaur run better." No different than a car, then again I think that if brunswick made a car it would weight 20tons and drive real slow, and most of the time not at all (because of the square tires and all [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] ). For me, it is simple to look at any specific part and with some creativity improve upon it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I did create a mechanism from "junk only" parts that mounted on the Y track and stopped collisions and ball return calls on a pair. Of course they have products for that but then why be creative in the first place. Right now all time is taken up trying to organise our rear hall, splitting the wall into sections and organising parts and assemblies into their own areas. Then paint everything (again).
                              Jackshaft belt ? who thinks up the idea to criss-cross a belt and run it around two pulleys ? Not only are you killing the life of the belt by it allways rubbing on itself, it makes black rubber dust that eventually gets on everything ?? lol.
                              See ? ok, I need to stop before I wander into the land of the lost.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X