Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerlift woes,balls stick

Balls get stuck in the lifts and most of the time the balls are right next to one another like about 1 inch from each other and get stuck.I have 2 pairs of lanes that do this.
    One lane has a new motor(properly rated rpm),the other one has a motor about 10 years old or so.
    I have installed go cart tires on all the uppers and have GOOD black rubber v-tires on the lowers throughout the house.Replaced a bad lower track on lane 19/20,tracks on 13/14 are very good.
    Thought about using those orange looking v-tires on the lowers to stop this problem.
    I have accelerators, but these are the only pair of lanes doing this,the retarder strips are dirty but in good shape,replaced the upper bearings in the lift on 19/20(they we're growling),greased the lower clutches.Balls can get stuck right at the bottom OR twords the middle but if i put 2 balls next to one another they will get stuck,belts are NEW,everything is clean too.
    Any ideas?Slowing down accelerators not the issue since if i push 2 balls in by hand the can get stuck.Shiney bowling balls are more prone to cause troubles and those cheap-o k-mart crap ones too.It's like there is too much pressure on the lift tracks but the house has the same tracks on all the other lanes.
    Tried go carts on upper/lowers,still stick,go cart on uppers and rubber v-tires lower...stick!
    Both upper/lower with v-tires...stick!
    I have alot better things to get done and chasing this crap doesn't help.Belt tension feels good,not over tight not loose.IDEAS?????
    If the balls are not next to each other all seems fine.Preferance systems function perfectly.
    Use what you have to,to get it through the shift then fix it right.Do it right and live through the night...Safety first!

Re: Powerlift woes,balls stick

IMPOSSIBLE.....the way all the other techs talk....powerlifts never have problems.

Serously.....I always used the Quality blach V tires....they are sturdy and long lasting.

good luck

Jerry

Comment

Make sure and put the V belt conversion on them too.....flat belts slip.

Jerry

Comment

Unbolt spacer holding the sides of powerlift together and add washers to increase distance between the two sides. Start small. One or two washers may do it.

Comment

When you do a "two ball" ball test,what is stopping or slipping. If the belt is slipping on the pulleys you need to tighten belt. If the balls are jammed in the lift tight with the tires still turnning,but the balls are not spinning you will need to remove some meat on the c tracks at the contact area where the ball contacts the whels and tracks all at the same time.

Any questions feel free to call

Peanut
          Peanut

Comment

Belts not slipping,balls stick but wheels are not spinning either.
            If i catch it in time i hear the motor humming before it pops and i then have to reset the motor.
            Something changed on it own since all summer long there we're no balls getting stuck and now POOF!
            Could it be somewhere in the transition area of upper and lower tracks?
            To get balls out i just tug on the belt and push or lift on the stuck balls.Maybe the motors are not fully fastened in,meaning...the mountings are a little loose?I'm fishing for anything now.Will check more things today and let ya know what i find if anything.
            Use what you have to,to get it through the shift then fix it right.Do it right and live through the night...Safety first!

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead:
              Belts not slipping,balls stick but wheels are not spinning either.
              If i catch it in time i hear the motor humming before it pops and i then have to reset the motor.
              Something changed on it own since all summer long there we're no balls getting stuck and now POOF!
              Could it be somewhere in the transition area of upper and lower tracks?
              To get balls out i just tug on the belt and push or lift on the stuck balls.Maybe the motors are not fully fastened in,meaning...the mountings are a little loose?I'm fishing for anything now.Will check more things today and let ya know what i find if anything.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Comment

Gearhead,

I am not as familiar with the Power Lift as I am with its AMF clone. If memory serves me correct the Power Lift uses a 1/4 hp motor vs the 1/3 hp motor that AMF uses. Maybe switching to more power might be the answer.

Do your Power Lifts use 220v? The reason I ask is that when I got a replacement motor for my C90 it was wired 220v but our lifts use 110v. That really through me for a loop because I assumed it to work right out of the box and it did except it gave me the same problems you described. The motor appeared weak, so I put an amp meter on it and revealed the amps weren’t even close to the specs. When I rewired it correctly to 110v, problems disappeared.

Good Luck,
                Triac

Comment

Hey Gearhead
                  Here might be something to try.
                  You said you greased your power lift clutch fittings.
                  Sometimes these bearings run dry for so long that adding grease can actually make them start slipping since the bearing is getting worn.
                  Try swapping one of the clutches with either a new one or swap it with a known working lane and see if the problem moves with the clutch.
                  Graham

Comment

Couple of things to think about - first I have learned to never use anything less than 1/3 h.p. motor. The 1/4 just doesn't have the balls. Second, and I am not recommending this to everyone, but I did away with power lift clutches years ago. I work with accelerators and boosters in different centers, have slowed the accelerators down to slowest possible speed. When I installed p/lifts in one center 12 years ago, I welded the clutches so to be a solid piece. Just welded the inner and outer race together. Have never had a problem. Got tired of clutches failng during league. May not work for every one but it sure cured a problem for my centers.

Comment

Hey Gary
                      I know what you are talking about.
                      If the clutch bearings are greased on a regular basis then no problem.
                      Leave them dry and run them until they die, no problem until the failure.
                      But I learned the hard way do not grease them when they have been dry awhile.
                      I had to take the clutches out and clean them in degreaser after I greased them and then they worked fine running dry.
                      I wondered why we needed them with the accelerator running slower and resin balls to boot.
                      I took off those old small belts and the small pulley that was attached to the lower clutch but that clutch bearing would still give problems and to me gave no extra benefit.
                      Graham

Comment

Just got done with the same prob, one ball a time had no problem, 2 balls together got stuck every time on a pair. Everything looked ok but in the end it turned out to be a hairline crack in the lower V tire that let it spread just enough to cause the problem. I would change the lower V tire, even if it looks good and see it if helps. If it is cracked it might not be obvious while mounted. I personally dont think that spacers are the answer since it worked fine until just recently, it has to be one of the components and
                        not the lift assembly itself.

Comment

I feel that MR BD is on this one. Since the reactive balls came out I have had a hand full of lifts in different centers that have had this problem. If the tires aren’t spinning and there’s enough tension on the belt to make the klixon on the motor kick out the only way to stop this from happening is to increase the distance between the side plates at the center of the lift. To do this there are 12 bolts on the original B lift that hold the braces to the plates. Inserting one washer in between the brace and the side plate of EACH BOLT will open the belly of the lift a bit and reduce the pressure on the balls as they pass through.

JMO

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                          Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

After much thinking....I have determined that if you would install some Sure Pik's your problem will go away.

Jerry

Comment

Gentlemen all:
                              Ed's spot on, in mods he mentioned to the rails. However, one thing should be mentioned concerning the lubrication of early style clutches. Only a very light lubricant, such as low temp lubriplate, and only one shot of it should be applied to these type clutches. Otherwise, one packs the dogs to where they won't grab the outer ring. As an aside, a good way to check the clutch is to grasp the top of the bottom wheel, and with a very short motion, push the wheel to the rear of the approach, using only a 1" stroke at a time, continue this motion, for several revolutions of the clutch to ascertain whether clutch ever slips. If it ever misses on rearward stroke, it's bad. Much finger hole and thumb hole damage, is caused by a bad clutch, owing to the fact the ball sits there waiting for another ball to push it into the lift. Very rare to have a clutch problem causing two balls at transition. Most helpful to watch belt and wheel operation while two are caught, see whats not driving.
                              Hope of some help.
                              Roscoe.
                              rfm

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X