Spoons
    Spotting Fingers
    Deck Rollers
    Deck Chutes

I have yet to find the problem.

Here is a pic of the damage...
    [img]http://pic4.****************/VOL50/488633/642287/16485392.jpg[/img]

If you can not see the pic click here.

It looks like the pin is dropping down onto something sharp base first as all of the gashes are cut upward. I find alot of pin cuttings under the elevator frame between the pit conveyor and ball wheel, but I've looked in that area a thousand times. The lip in the back of the upper pit frame was sharp so I filed it down smooth, but the damage continues. I feel the damage is occuring somewhere else and the cuttings are migrating there via the pit conveyor. I have found no other signifigant areas of cuttings anywhere on the machine.
    <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Re: Pin Damage

Did you check the kickbacks for any nails that might be sticking out?

Drill
    Drill

David Bolt
    Champaign, IL
    USBC Silver Coach
    IBPSIA BOD
    IBPSIA Advanced
    Technical Certified
    Pro Shops

Comment

Edge of the turret clutch?

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
      Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

Pindeck edgeboard screws?Make sure those puppies are tight,not just looking tight.
        How about the ball wheel guards,are they in good shape?
        Stationary deck have a loose bolt?(scissor deck).
        Yes it can really suck tracking it down.,you'll find it.
        Can't remember your entire post but how about the kickback is it metal,i had to grind off a ton of burrs on some once.,BAD burrs.
        Use what you have to,to get it through the shift then fix it right.Do it right and live through the night...Safety first!

Comment

Charlie nailed it on the head. You see how the cuts are rounded at the bottom. That is your turret clutch edge more than likely right at the nine pin.
          John B
          ------------
          just fix it

Comment

Forgot to mention that I checked the kickbacks too.

I have sat and watched this machine for quite a while and every time the pins drop they clear the turret clutch by at least an inch.
            <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

BrunsAce:
              Striking the turret clutch usually happens so fast, its hard to identify visually. One clue however, are shavings on and around the pulley, with the outer edge of the pulley showing white.
              Roscoe.
              rfm

Comment

In that case I'm pretty sure it is not the pulley. It only has a few flakes on it occasionally and mostly due to them being carried up the cross conveyor. The edge of the pulley is rounded too. I did that a while back just to be sure. And there is no white residue on the edge of the pulley.

Comment

DO YOU HAVE GLUE ON DECK PADS OR THE ONES WITH THE MOUNTING STUDS/ THREADED RING? I HAVE HAD THE METAL MOUNTING RING CAUSE DAMAGE COMPARABLE TO YOUR PIC.

Comment

Hey - Brunsace, have a look at your deck, if you have trimmed buckets, the edge of the moving deck casting may be sticking out inside the bucket &amp; as the pins drop in they may catch the metal, a long shot but worth a look, good luck &amp; keep us all informed. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I have the glue on pads.

I have trimmed deck chutes, but I've already been over that area. Will check it again this afternoon just to be sure.

Comment

Ace:

Take a hard look at the edge of the turn pan cam, the old metal ones get real sharp over time.

Your marks look slightly too high on the pin, but it'll only take a minute to dismiss it as possible:

Kevin

Comment

Another something to check.
                          Do your lower ball wheel guards have the button head allen bolts in them or has a regular bolt been mixed in?
                          Maybe pin hitting bolt head on guard.
                          Also check the front of the cushion well to see if the rubber has worn at the corners exposing the follower link allen bolts.
                          Graham

Comment

I actually have the same problem with one of my machines. I am banking on the turret clutch, although I have no proof to that effect. The only tell-tale sign of the turret clutch is that there is an awful lot of chips on and around that area. Is the correct solution to move the turret wires away from the turret frame? I'm not entirely sure that it is only coming from the nine-pin side-- the eight pin side may be hitting as well. Any ideas?
                            The long term cost of inaction is greater than the percieved short term convenience.

Comment

Playmor..

According to your post you are seeing chips around the turret clutch. Odds are that's where your problem is. Other than adjusting the turret wires, loosen the spoons for the 8 and 9 positions. Rotate the 9 spoon as far toward the 10 as it will go, and the 8 as far toward the 7 as it will go. This will cause the pins to deflect away from the turret as they drop. Also I filed down any sharp edges around the turret just to be safe.

Anyway..

I have not yet found the sourse of the damage in my case. The turn pan cam is plastic so that should not be an issue. Cushion is in good shape. I found a crack in one of the ball wheel guards that had a slightly sharp burr on it. I don't see how this would cause the cuts to be in the area that they are, but I repaired it anyway.

Pin decks are "Armor Plate" with good edge boards.

The buckets have enough overhang to prevent the pin from contacting that edge.

I agree that this does look like turret clutch damage, but I have found no evidence whatsoever in that area.

I am about ready to dismantle everything that the pins touch and file down any edges I find. A new set of pins every 6 months aint cheap.

Will keep y'all updated.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X