Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rake crank link bent

can anyone tell me what the most common causes of a bent crank link. i have a lane that a year ago kept bending the rake crank link. i replaced 3 of them before it stopped doing this. i spent hours on bowl tech trying to figure this out. finally went to thicker link with offset piviots. and adjusted rake adjustments countless times before it quit. now its doing it again. i had another mech look at. he's also baffeled. he said that most times the board drops below back edge of pin deck and hangs up because of rake stop adj.i installed new link and he adjusted, but when i came in today. there sits the deck respotting pins, rake behind it, caught on the pin deck,bent crank link and all. any help to solve my problems would appreciated. jaysen

Re: rake crank link bent

I would go back and make sure that the rake stop adjustment is right and that the bolt was tight enough that the bracket didnt move after he set it. Is the rake cam worn? I have also seen in a converted A center with shot guns, there was a huge flat spot worn on the rake cam around 180 d egrees and every once in a while the head of a couple of pins would get under the edge of the rake board and jam it up on the back of the pin deck. Do you have shot guns on your machines? Just to test the rake stop bracket I would recomend running the machine to 180 and stoping it. If you have shot guns remove the power from the pinsetter and release the shot gun. See if the board drops behind the deck.

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

Common cause for this is the shotgun unlatches (due to worn assembly or misadjusted) and the fixed rake stop is misadjusted as well. That's the purpose of the rake stop...in case the shotgun fails, the rake will not fall behind the pindeck. Some centers use the "pogo stick" type crank arms for insurance, but fixing the problem is crucial.
      "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

I agree with all post so far. I would buy the collapsable rake crank rods from zot. I used to have the same problems, then changed to the zot rake crank rods and no more bent rods. You still have to do the rake adjustments and rake stop adjustments but sure saves on rods.

Comment

Another place to check is where the flat gutters meet the end caps. If the flat gutters are slightly lower than the caps then the rake can snag the edge if it is adjusted too low or if the shotgun comes unlatched during the cycle. Had that happen a time ot two...
          <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

Just thought I would drop a post about a use for the bent rods. If you still have the old style Brunswick round steel under lane. The crank rods with the tapered ends make great swedges to repair the broken tubes and then you cut a 4" piece of the rod and insert it inside of the track to couple the track back together.

I realize this was kind of off "track" but it just popped into my head.

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
            Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

I've saw this problem before and it was 2 pins getting stuck side by side in the flat gutter, and as the rake was sweeping it would slide over them on the way back and on the way forward the rake would get caught behind the pins resulting in bending the rod and shooting pins forward. I cured it by keeping the gutters clean???
              Digger

Comment

Yes the most common cause is rake board fell behind pindeck by either the rake stop out of adjustment and the shotgun not locking.
                The other way it can happen is the crank rod strikes the rake hook dead on at 45 degrees instead of going under the hook.
                Can be caused by mis-adjusted rake hook, excessive free play in the rake hook linkage or the detector rake hook cam follower bearing is shot and only the inner race is running on the cam.
                Graham

Comment

thanks for the help. i adjusted both the shotgun, and the rake stop. and for now it seems to be ok.the rake stop must keep moving on me. it was all the way down, and i know that it was not like that after the initial adjustments. so i also replaced the bolt for the rake stop. then i ran to 180 and un-latched the shotgun the board does not drop below the pin deck but it does catch the lip between the flat gutters and the ball wall gutter. so i will also adj. rake board height.
                  again thank's for all the help. jaysen

Comment

adjusting your rake board height won't keep your rake from getting stuck on the adapter, if the shot gun is unlatched. it's your shot gun that controls your rake height...well allows your rake height to be controlled. my rakes will do the same thing if the shot gun failed to latch. but i can live with that since it doesn't happen too often. but it sure beats a bent crank rod.

alex
                    Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
                    Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
                    Cloth: ShamWow!
                    Machine: Johnny 5
                    Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

Also dont forget about the rake sweep hook height adjustment and the roller bearing inside the detector.....If this bearing comes apart and loses the outer race the rake sweep hook will lower and the block which latches on the sweep hook could contact the end of the sweep hook as the crank arm comes forward and bend the sweep link....

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                      widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                      1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                      First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                      our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                      Working...
                      X