Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pins in gutter

I am having a lot of pin in the gutter calls. Rakes are allready rubing flat gutters but look high at guard position. Rake cam seems ok. Some times they shoot a pin way up the gutter. I have several lanes giving me this problem.

Thanks for any help.
    David

Re: pins in gutter

not sure what kind of machines you have....that sometimes helps....but if there a-2's ...have you checked your c-lever adjustments?

quas

convince everyone your crazy and they will leave you alone

Comment

If you have the clevis type ends on your rake lift rods you can drill a 1/4 inch hole below the bumper and put either an X washer pin in there or a 1/4 inch bolt.

This is of course asuming that all of the rake adjustments are set properly and that you have fast drop rakes.

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
      Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

David,Are you sure its your rake?You stated that the pins are way up in the gutter are you sure your pit curtain is not inverted and launching the pins back out and up the lane?Just a thought.

Dave

Comment

Several thoughts

1) If the rake is hitting bottom, be sure the shotgun is staying latched. If the gun fails, the rake will not lift at the rear end of its travel, and it shoots the pin out the front instead.

2) If the gun's good, then start from the beginning of the rake height adjustments, and go all the way through. ASS-U-ME nothing's right. My next suspicion would be the rake cam (easy to tell, when the cam's timed right, the rake has a neat looking little hitch upward at the rear end of its travel, to discard any pins that the rake may be holding onto the neck of), but go through all the adjustments, in order, as they affect each other.

Another "cheat" that I use is to check the C lever gap with the appropriate size drill bit shank. Anyone who says they can get it right with a ruler, I guess is a better man than I am, but the bit is quick and perfect, as opposed to looking at a ruler that you can't even get into the space you're measuring:

Kevin

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. By the way machines are A's not A-2. They have zot dual triggering. I think shotguns are working right. Some pins are way up gutter but not all. Seems to be heighth problem. If I get rake low at guard, then it rubs flat gutters hard. When I raise to clear gutters Then it looks high at guard. I,ll take your ideas, the manual and see what I can do Monday.

Thanks for the help.
            David

Comment

Often when you have problems like this the best thing you can do is to actually see it happen or talk with some one that has seen it so they can give you some insight.It would be a big help to you if you knew for sure that the pins were flying out before the rake ever came down.It would keep you from wasting time messing with a rake that might not have even been the problem.With that said,if the curtains are not flipped and your rake trip link is not inverted,then I would go back to your rake adjustments. They can't be correct if the rake end plates are almost hitting the flat gutters on the one hand and yet your rake is high in the guard position.I still think if you see it happen you will find that it is not your rake adjustment.It has been my experence that if they shot back down the lane it's is often because they are bouncing off of the cushion or curtain.I had it happen every now and then at "the boat" especially when they would shot at the 10 pin, they would throw the ball 90 miles per hour hit it and once in awhile the pin would fly right back out of the pit and go half way down the lane before the rake had even dropped.Good luck.

Comment

This was posted by Masternut in another thread about a year ago. It helped me tremendously.

Sounds like rake cam is not "balanced".Here is the way I have been doing it for years.
                The sweep pattern is different sweeping forward than sweeping back...

Take the first measurment between the 2,3_4,5,6 pin spots as the rake is going back(towards Pit).
                Take second measurment at 1" behind head pin as rake is comming forward.

These are the two lowest points in the cycle.You want to balance the cam until these measurment are the same(Within an 1/8).

If measurment 1 is lower than measurment 2 then you need to retard rake cam ,if measurment 1 is higher than measurment 2 then you need to advance rake cam.

Hope this makes sense its hard to write,but it works. It allows us to adjust our rakes to within 1/4 inch to the lane.

Hope this helps,
                Peanut

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This method allowed me to adjust the rakes to 2" at guard without having them contact the lanes or flat gutters.
                <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

Thanks for posting Ace, I couldn't find the thread.

Maybe Mike can post the rake adjustment in the referance section.I get alot of e-mails containing to rake sequeance adjustments.

Peanut
                  Peanut

Comment

Just a thuoght, could the pins be falling from the terrut or deck while thesweep is coming forward.
                    Seen it happen.

Comment

My PIG problems have come from, let's call them conservative rake adjustments by mechs before me. Average gaps have been:

C lever 1/2" to 3/4"
                      Shotgun rollers 1/8" to 1/4"
                      Rake rod 1/2"
                      Cam balance out at least 1/2"

By Changing adjustments rakes look a lot better, but one is still giving me trouble. Little hitch at 180 is jest that, little. Cam balance looks right on. Rake at guard is 3 1/4" Deck clearance 3/8"

Shortening rake rod and moving rake stop might be my next step. Rake stops on my old A's don't look like picture in the book and all are set as far toward rear as they will go. Is this normal or another conservative adjustment?

Thanks David

Comment

David;
                        Check the condition of the rake cam just to the rear of the low dwell. Many older cams or ones not properly lubed have this ejection hump worn off.
                        Roscoe.
                        rfm

Comment

Will check for bump. Don't think it's the problem. This machine has a single cam less than 2 years old. I did look at cam followers, no slideing.

Thanks David

Comment

david.. i have been using a tool for many years on problems that i can never seem to see it happen. i put together a camera system with a vcr and a moitor and a small camera we use this all over the pinsetter. from 180,s.. ball calls.. black outs..yes and pins in the gutter..if you can tape it you can fix it . example set camera up in front point at deck area you have your camera running all day you get your pin the gutter call stop vcr review call makes some changes .. DAN DESPLINTER

Comment

Iv'e always wanted to do that Dan, but can't seem to get the boss to go along with it. Might have to do it on my own....

If it aint broke......give it a minute!
                              I got it ! I got it ! Oh damn

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X