Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gentle moving deck shift

I have a bunch of moving decks that shift very gently to the rear when setting pins. Normally, it is not a problem, but I am noticing a lot of "not setting a full rack" calls and I can see a big difference between some of the machines. I have pins that lean in the buckets a bit and the deck shifts so gently they do not always fall down into the chute to set properly. I want to have a crisp shift which will give the pins enough shake to fall down into setting position. I was thinking maybe they did not have the proper preload on the torsion spring, but today I put one more full turn on the spring on one machine to test that theory and it didn't seem to make any difference at all. pulling on the cable shifts the deck without any noticeable pull or drag. The deck rollers are all in good shape. Any ideas on where I should look first? These machines were neglected for many years and I have inherited the task of getting them up to speed. Lucky me...
    41 years and still learning....
    lanedoctor@hotmail.com

Re: gentle moving deck shift

The newer style of moving deck cam has a rounded edge on it to make the deck shift more smoothly. The older style had more of a corner to it. Look at one that shifts smoothly, and then look at one that does not. You will see the difference. There is not much you can do to make them shift harder other than speeding up the machine or changing the cam.

As far as pins jamming in the chutes, Have you trimmed the skirts off? If not, cut the skirt off about 1/4" below the bottom of the chute. The pins are less likely to jam this way.

You might want to set the spring back like it should be. Those things are real fun to change when they break.
    <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

hello you probley have a mixture of a and a-2 moving deck cams id trim the skirts the chutes i have the most prob with are the qbc chutes they are textured on the inside jb

Comment

It is possible to increase the spring 1/2 turn if you do it at the collar end of the shaft....you have to wedge the spring, remove roll pin and then reverse deck to back up shaft ..at the 1/2 turn replace the roll pin now when the machine advances to 0 stop it has 1/2 turn extra tention.
        I think this is right,I will have to think about it some more it has been a long time since I played around will deck tention.

Peanut
        Peanut

Comment

Yeah, Ace,... The very first job I had when getting off the plane from Brunswick school back in 76 was to change a broken torsion spring... The head mechanic didn't have a clue and I had 3 hours till leagues.... I got it up 15 minutes before the start time and the next day I was head mechanic...lol
          lanedoctor@hotmail.com

Comment

The cam difference makes sense since the majority of problems are on the newer Jap machines. I will look into it when I go in there tonight. Thanks to all who posted.
            lanedoctor@hotmail.com

Comment

The main difference in the cams was the speed increase between the A's and A-2's. Then a major change when "B" came out with scotch yokes. An A machine if you watch will start the deck downward slowly, when it approaches 270 the motion or speed increase's when setting a full rack. Scotch yokes will slow the motion of the deck almost to a crawl when setting a full rack. thus, two different cams.

From what I undesstand you should never swap lowering link cams with yoke cams.
              BEER: It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Comment

lanedoctor,
                after re-reading your post I reliaze that you weren't looking for deck tention,sorry. I do have some thoughts about some things that could help. I just don't have the sense to type it out.
                Feel free to give me a call anytime.I also have a couple of things I would like to run by you.

Peanut
                Peanut

Comment

Have you checked to see if the moving deck cable is keeping constant tension. In the past we have replaced severl, due to wear since 1960 and the tension was not staying tight during shift.

Doug [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img]

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                  widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                  1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                  First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                  our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                  Working...
                  X