Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Box Problems

Ok.. I am seeing a possible problem developing on one of the lanes..

On one of the lanes the main 1:1 shaft as it is turning it jerks a bit. about 3 times every turn.

Also what kind of Oil goes in the gear box, So I know if I put the right kind in..

Re: Gear Box Problems

Broken/worn key in the 1/1 most likely cause of jerking.

Gearbox oil

Model "A" with the dashpot bleeder time delay 10-40 motor oil

A-2 machines, 90 weight gear oil

kevin

Comment

we have a few machines that have some worn keys, some worse than others. Prior to the current mechanic team's arrival, it was common during the clearing of a deck jam to back the gear box off letting the deck holding hook hold the deck and then lift up on the deck holding hook and let the deck fall! We think that is where alot of our worn gearbox keys originated from.
      Howard

Comment

Ken, I would agree with Kevin. Most likely the 1:1 key ( on the inside of the gearbox) and possibly the 1:1 gear need replacing.Although not as likely, you could have a bad key ,and or gear in the 4:1 housing. To determine where the problem is, with a full set of pins on the pin deck, firstball, cycle the machine to 90 degrees. Unplug power cord, and try to pull up , and push down on the rake crank arm . If you get movement,only on the crank arm shaft , you have a broken wormwheel key. With the machine in the same position ( you might have to disconnect the shot gun to take the pressure off the rake cam )put a wrench on the bolt that holds the rake cam to the 1:1 shaft. Try to rotate the shaft both clockwise and ccw . If the 1:1 shaft moves , with out moving the 2:1 assembly, the problem is in the 1:1 key/gear/shaft. With any luck, the guys that say they can change a 1:1 gear in an hour, [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] will post the steps they use to do that job. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] Sure sounds like you will need to do a 1:1 in the future. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] good luck, Mark
        There is light at the end of the tunnel - just be sure it is not a train.

Comment

Another thing to check out. With your machine at "zero" degrees, Grasp the rake crank arm and try to physically move it up and down. If it moves more than a 1/4 inch, and moves the rest of the gear box with it, you have a worn worm wheel. I have seen the rake crank arm move as much as a 1/2 inch or more.......didn't sleep a lot that night.
          I got it ! I got it ! Oh damn

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
          1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
          First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
          our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
          Working...
          X