Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox Oil

What kind of gear box oil goes into a brunswick A-2 Machine, and how much do I put in...

Thank You

Re: Gearbox Oil

90 Weight gear oil

fill till halfway up the sight glass window (on 7 pin side of gearbox, near the bottom.

A completely empty gearbox will take a quart and about a third of another quart.

MORE IS NOT BETTER ... If you overfill, you will be rewarded by the extra oil leaking out of the 4/1 seals. If unsure, get a flashlight and check the glass before adding:

Kevin

Comment

I switched to 90+ waight oil last summer. less leaks, but some mech, do use 30w just rember it can change how your gearbox triggers, fast or slow. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]
      ~~(__)B>

Comment

I have used 140 weight Dodge manual gearbox oil in leaky boxes till I could get to them in the summer. Someone somewhere use to sell a 90 weight that had graphite in it to plug the leaks till overhaul, but was a mess to clean out of the box later. But 90 weight is the factory lube for A-2's.
        BEER: It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Comment

1 and a 1/5 quart 90 wt.
          John B
          ------------
          just fix it

Comment

thank you tpj atleast someone knows the correct amount

Comment

The correct amount?, The Question was "What Type" not "How Much". And, is it a die cast or sand cast housing. Yes the quanity does differ between the two, but not the type. The fact of the matter is fill till it's half up the site glass "with the drain plug in". More B mechanic training in progress.

Comment

LOL Jim ...

Quasar apparently hadn't vented enough on the french guy with the misbehaving silver bullet. I did mention that sight glass ... didn't I???

Kevin

Comment

Ever see a mechanic put 2 quarts in without the drain plug in. I use to have my B mech. do 2 machines a month and the first machine he left the plug out. What a mess that makes on a pit board. Another time he over filled because the site glass had a dirt line on it. DRIP, DRIP, DRIP everywhere. I gave up and made a dip stick for them to use.

Comment

He did ask how much. Read the original post again.
                    The Brunswick pinsetter manual states 1 and 1/5 quarts but does not mention type of gearbox.
                    John B
                    ------------
                    just fix it

Comment

I think that the A pinsetters and the convert
                      A-2's are 32 oz, and the newer gearbox castings use 24 oz. Our jap pinsetters use 32 oz and our
                      A-2's use 24 oz.

Peanut
                      Peanut

Comment

I have Otis A's converted that takes 1&1/5 qts.
                        I worked on 40 A's that left Springfield Va. and ended up in N.C. that took 1&1/5 qts. and I worked on 32 Jap A2's that took 1&1/5 qts.
                        So maybe I just got lucky and didn't have to remember different caps.
                        John B
                        ------------
                        just fix it

Comment

I had six die cast and 10 sand cast at one place and the die cast would only take a quart. They had a spacer in front of the worm shaft that wasn't in the parts book either, they were just weird machines. What do ya want for an airforce SAC base, that whole place was weird.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                          1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                          First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                          our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                          Working...
                          X