Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short link?

Hey Guys,
    I got a machine that wants to index twice sometimes. Now I have replaced the Latch,shaft,bellcrank,and the link from the index trip lever and both x-washers pins. So I replaced the short link with a new one Quality the kind you can replace the bearings in. Now this is a steel short link so they can't be bent easily and I know that your not supposed to bend them anyway but with these links and can't get the latch to go back far enough so the turret just runs away. Now I have some old alum. links that i can bend. But I dont want to do that if I dont have to. Is there anything I am forgeting to check???????
    Thanks for the response
    John O.

Re: short link?

A2:
    Short geometry lesson.
    This is provided you are not talking about double index after five pin, which requires replacment of short turret drive belt, owing to the ramp and stop, both indexing the bell crank.
    The way to walk away from indexing problems, is to set index trip lever 1/8 inch lower than any turret wire, lock it in place. Make certain you don't have a wild wire, (low on the bottom), if you do, bend it up. Unhook short link, from indexing latch, remove top bolt from c lever and observe where center of spacer should be,( whilst pulling up on c lever in order to align with the center of index trip lever, thus placing the bellcrank bearing as close to the time delay gear as possible), bend the c lever to achieve this distance. Make certain no play exists in the front and rear pins, (use Quality replacments for those pins).Then bend the short link to achieve a slightly rearward bias to the latch. When done, one should be able to place a pin lightly on the trip lever and have the turret index, yet not be able to bang it through the five pin position, which is the hardest to hold. Many times problems of this sort can be corrected by the use of positive latch stops, availabile on this site, but they only correct loose linkage, not the problem of indexing after five pin and correct indexing at all other positions. Sorry for the long post, but it's simply, not a simple subject
    Your friend in the business.
    Roscoe
    rfm

Comment

That reminds me,
      I'd like to know what other techs think about this!

I had a turret keep Indexing after Installing a new link a long time ago, and everything else was In good condition.

I removed the link, and took a good look at It, If you take a link and look at It you will see one end of It with a slightly higher angle then the other. If you put the end with the lower angle at the bell crank and the end with the higher angle at the latch, Its almost trouble free. every since I started doing that It works well. If the higher end Is against the bell crank It makes ride the time delay gear harder and wala Indexing.....
      I have had a couple of techs agree with me on that,and they have done the same. maybe it depends on where you purchase them.
      Mike
      DO A NEAT CLEAN JOB, AND FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. THE ONLY WAY TO WORK.

Comment

First ,Level the turret. It moves and the Index lever doesn't, this changes every thing.

I thought about the wrong end thing before, but when I started here in Spokane I had to change out almost all of them. I was wondering about the wrong end thing and put 2 nails in a board as a jig and eyeballed them and didn't see any difference. But I have had machines that didn't like a certain link so I would just swap it out with a known good spare and away it went????

But this was back, back, way back when "B" made good parts. Not like some of the junk they peddle now.

And please don't use turret support rods in front for hand holds.
        BEER: It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
        1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
        First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
        our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
        Working...
        X