Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non stop cycling of pinsetter

This one has me very bothered. Today I did some investigating of a worm shaft noise problem. After removing the gearbox clutch and worm shaft I found that the issue wasn't the worm shaft at all but the 4:1. The bronze gear is in bad shape. Since I didn't have another one handy I cleaned up the gearbox and re-installed the worm shaft( which was is good shape). I cleaned up the clutch and re-assembled that as well. Set the timing and all was well. After that I torn down the turret ring and serviced that. All back together now and things were running good until the second game of league tonight when the pinsetter just started cycling on it's own, non stop. I have pretty much ruled out electrical. Checked the dashpot, 180 interlock, and timing adjustments and they all seem fine. All springs are where they belong. Any ideas as to why this is going on?
    If you don't like getting beat...get better.

Re: Non stop cycling of pinsetter

Pitboy, What machines do you have ? IF A2, I would remove the cycle solenoid plunger and link just to be sure that you do not have an electrical problem. Did you tighten the jam nut on the clutch adjusting bolt ?
    Check the clutch cam that bolts onto the 4:1 shaft. Check the clutch reset lever to make sure the bearing is not missing,and that the reset lever is going high enough to engage and push down on the clutch latch.
    Turn off power just before gearbox reaches 0 degrees. Manually rotate the gearbox until it reaches 0 degrees. Does the clutch reset lever reset the clutch latch? If not , you will have to determine why. Does the clutch arm go high enough to clear the clutch stop lever? If not you have a misadjusted gearbox clutch.
    Good luck, and post again if you cant find the problem.
    Mark
    There is light at the end of the tunnel - just be sure it is not a train.

Comment

Make sure your 4:1 is lined up correctly at 0 degrees according to your machine type A-2 factory, jetback, or A's. Adjust that by from the clutch yoke.
      Hard work and determination is the answer to all problems.

Comment

My machines are factory A's that have been converted.
        I went back in on Sunday and tried again to figure this out. I disconnected the cycle solenoid and the problem was still there...as I expected, it wasn't an electrical issue. As I noted in my first post, after removing the worm shaft I found that the 4:1 gear was in real bad shape but didn't have one to replace it with. Next I checked for binding in the clutch. Still nothing. I finally tore down the clutch and worm shaft again. Upon reassembling I was able to get the cycling to stop, however, after adjusting the clutch timing I found that sometimes the pinsetter would stop right on zero and then on second ball would stop a few degrees beyond. Cycle again back to first ball and it would stop a few degrees ahead and then even farther ahead on the second ball. Another mechanic and I agreed that the 4:1 was the root of the problem, that the teeth in the gear were to the point where we had some slipping.
        Today I went into work and found that the pinsetter is stopping on zero all the time (weird). Anyway, I now have a a 4:1 that is in great shape and will be installing it this week.

Thanks for the replies.
        If you don't like getting beat...get better.

Comment

Something just popped into my head(that's a first,lol)A few years ago i had a machine do a mysterous cycling thing and i looked at the usual spots and all was okay but then the bowler hit the rake(not their fault) and i looked further and noticed the detector "idler gear" was slipping due to broken and worn off gear teeth,after replacing all seemed normal again,i now look at that gear every time i lube and i don't take it for granted that it is always in one piece!Pretty easy job to do when it does crap out.Being bad it caused machine to coast and not stop.Odd yes but may it never happen again.
          Use what you have to,to get it through the shift then fix it right.Do it right and live through the night...Safety first!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
          1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
          First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
          our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
          Working...
          X