Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deck lift shaft problem

i have a lane that was not picking up standing pins.long story short. i found that the 7 pin side deck lift shaft bearing was laying in the y- switch,the bolt was broken off,the bearing was broken in two and the deck lift shaft is all cockeyed. ive never replaced this bearing or the deck lift shaft before. could anyone please give me some direction on how to do this. thanks. jaysen

Re: deck lift shaft problem

It's a pretty simple job, just awkward with such a big piece. A second set of hands helps.

Set the deck at 270, setting new pins, and support it using some 4X4 chunks or something.

Unplug main power and lock out your cord.

Remove the giant rake return spring tube using the appropriate length of allthread and accompanying nuts/washers. This is very important as the D/L shaft will want to knock you in the jaw if the spring remains in place.

Remove the lift pin at the D/L shaft ears by pulling the 10 side spirol ring and sliding the pin out the 7 side.

Disconnect detector rod and restricted drop bracketry for clearance.You're looking to make space so these areas are not damaged while you wrestle with the D/L shaft.

Remove the four screws at the bearing caps at the end of the D/L shaft arms to separate the deck assembly.

Remove remaining D/L shaft mounting screw and wrestle that big bastard outta there.

Depending on how out of whack everything is, you may want to install your spare (if available) or compare the fallen one to a good machine for damage.

Good luck.

Comment

sounds like i did more than needed. i pulled the entire deck out and got the lift shaft out. now all i have to do is figure out how to replace the bearings. do they press in or just slide in? i havent looked real close yet.

Comment

I always roll the moving deck out of the way, up the lane to remove a deck shaft. I use a four wheeled dolly to set the deck on then flip up the deck light to clear. Thats why those extra holes are in the light bar support links.

The bearings are whats called a slip press fit. sometimes they come out easy and sometimes they don't. Plan on replacing both bearings, bearing studs and bolts. This is no time to get cheap!!!!.

If you can't slide the bearings out get a piece of 5/8" ready rod and a nut to go with it. Thread it in from the out side, put a plate on the rod with the nut behind it and knock it out. If the bearing stud comes out alone get a piece of pipe big enough to slide in from the other side and hammer it out. Replace all bearings,bearing studs and bolts.

If the shaft is bent, off to the machine shop it goes for straightening and reinforcing. Sometime's it's better to junk it and buy a new one.

Those that have Jap setters just live for the day to pull another deck shaft.
        BEER: It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
        1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
        First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
        our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
        Working...
        X