Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another safety issue

Hello all fellow Brunswick Mechanics!!

One thing that I have noticed in many bowling centers is that the catwalk up top leading from one machine to the next don't have any railing type fixtures. I know this may sound dumb, but think about it. You're up top fixing the machine, the all of a sudden you lose your balance. Which way do you fall??? Into the machine??? To the floor???

I know they say walk to the machine, then climb up. But your still unprotected from falling either into a machine or to the floor.

Something to think about.
    Phil
    Pay attention to what your doing, and always do a clean and neat job!

Re: Another safety issue

Originally posted by Phil B.:
    Hello all fellow Brunswick Mechanics!!

One thing that I have noticed in many bowling centers is that the catwalk up top leading from one machine to the next don't have any railing type fixtures. I know this may sound dumb, but think about it. You're up top fixing the machine, the all of a sudden you lose your balance. Which way do you fall??? Into the machine??? To the floor???

I know they say walk to the machine, then climb up. But your still unprotected from falling either into a machine or to the floor.

Something to think about.
    Phil
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Phil,
    first off, the wooden planks (or on newer machines steel diamond plate) that are commonly refered to as "catwalks" are in fact "tool work platforms", and are not meant to be walked on (and if you ever go through an OSHA inspection please remember this phrase) [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] However, back to your original question "to the floor or into the Machine?", me personally, I would rather take my chances with the 6 foot drop to the floor rather than take the chance of getting my arm caught through the 4to1 crank link, or some other moving part. Remember that the Brunswick machines use a one horse motor and 60 to 1 (or 27 to 1) gear reduction which translates to "it ain't stoppin' for some measely lil' ole' human body part" [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img]
    Respectfully,
    A2-Ace

Comment

I have read and re-read your question and I wonder first of all why would you be fixing the machine with it running although having said that I know you can make some repairs with it running lord knows I have done it many times while leagues are on the floor ,and 2nd the way your question reads your standing on the top of the machine to make repairs lower than you are.I myself sit on the top of the machine and scoot my butt across the top to get on and off the machine.
      If I had a choice I to would rather fall to the floor These A-2's get really hungary for body parts.
      I worry more for the safety of bowlers...ever notice how many kids (and some adults) reach their hands into the power lift to get a stuck ball or hold thier hand inside of it waiting for a ball to come back!Or some idiot walking down the middle of the lane to get a ball thats sometimes just inside the rake area....scary isn't it.
      If I can fix it....It ain't broke!

Comment

If I ever lost my mind and decided to walk across the backs of the machines, The 5'9" sprinkler pipe would quickly cure my 6'2" frame of thinking about doing it again:

What appears to be a catwalk is a seat/workbench, walking on it is blatently unsafe, and will hurt you ... not whether it will hurt you, more like when:

Kevin

Comment

OSHA requires that if you are going to stand or walk up there that a hand railing be installed to prevent you from falling to the floor. Zot does sell this setup if you are interested. Otherwise, walking on the platforms is prohibited.
          TSM & TSM Training Development
          Main Event Entertainment
          480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Hi guys,

I agree with you all...I do walk to the individual machine to take care of problems that occur. The only time the machine MAY be running if the stop is a pingate stop where you just push the pin over the latch and that's it!!! Otherwise, the machine gets shut off even if the bowler has 11 in a row!!. But, I have had the unpleasant experience of falling into a running machine due to someone leaving some spilled oil on the catwalk! Even when you think it's safe enough, it never is.
            Pay attention to what your doing, and always do a clean and neat job!

Comment

Funny that must be the reason the tops of our machines say do not use as a catwalk
              What do you mean! There were spare parts?

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
              Working...
              X