Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball lift motors

A couple of lift motor choices are in the books,last year we got a quality motor and it's been giving fit's for some time now in that it keeps shutting off.It can go a week or 2 then start dying,i was getting ball(s)in the lift but everything is NEW in there.When balls come up the lift the motor sounds like it's bogging down,called my parts people to speak with a tech and told him here are 2 motors offered,which is best...well,looking at the book again i saw that a motor for the lifts is a light duty/30 minute motor of which we must have gotten.Is there a certain motor that's better,my spare motor shoots out the balls onto the tray rather fast versus the current motor that simply pushes the ball on the tray.In the Brunswick book they have 2 motors,i ordered the motor for the frameworks racks since that what we now use(lifts are about 20 years old though,motors too).I think the bad motor in question was a 940rpm,i'd have to look and post all numbers but power we use is 220volt.
    If there is a 30 minute motor [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] out there why is it there and what's it for???,the one ordered is a continuous motor that will be in soon.Bet some didn't know there's a 30 minute motor did ya.
    All my relays in the lift are NEW,relays for accelerator are NEW,used to think something in the lift was bad like clutch/tracks but it's all new soooo,motor has got to be it!?Sorry...long post.
    Use what you have to,to get it through the shift then fix it right.Do it right and live through the night...Safety first!

Re: Ball lift motors

GH, sounds like some wires are in the wrong places on the motor. What brand motor do you have and is it dual voltage?

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

you said everything in their is new...what kindof wheels are you using?
      Quality only offers one motor...53-5299. It is a universal motor for power lifts. How did you wire it?

Brunswick offers 2 motors. One that turns at 1750 rpm (or so) and another that turns around 1150 rpm. There are also 2 different pulleys you can use if you have a poly v belt. One is 1 inch and the other is 1 5/8 inch in diameter. This can make a big difference in how well your power lift works. The higher rpm motor uses the smaller diameter pulley and vice-versa. Check that and see if it helps you.

If you are using a v-belt drive...I think there is only one size pulley they sell for that...but I would slow it down if the ball is coming out too fast by buying a smaller outer diameter pulley from Grainger.
      TSM & TSM Training Development
      Main Event Entertainment
      480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Universal voltage motor,yes...the quality number seems correct 53-5299 wired for 220 volts,if it was wired wrong the motor would have fried right.
        Using v-tires on all lifts with go cart style on uppers.,note...
        motor feels HOT after a night of leagues,make that very hot,and that's w/o balls getting stuck.
        This is the same motor that's in lanes 1&2 and that motor works great!!Now then....after being off a day i come in and the girls said lift made a BAD noise,turned out to be the new belt is bad(have had bad ones there too)running v-belts even though i really like the poly belts much better(should i also try a poly belt kit?),the new belt was splitting away from the steel belts in it.,played with various belt tensions but not overtight.,anyway before i could fix the belt noise the motor would not go on,i checked everything/every wire, still no go,then later i tried again and she went on.,stayed on for 1/2 hour(i let it run).Maybe a bad wire from the pinsetter end but would that make the motor get very hot?To get the belt noise to go away after a new one installed i had to sand the belt,these new belts are soooo slick it's a joke,like thers a coating of smooth slide on the or a baby powder kind of slick feeling to them.Going to napa to get some better belts.Sorry....long post again!
        Use what you have to,to get it through the shift then fix it right.Do it right and live through the night...Safety first!

Comment

Bad motors don't usually eat belts. Swap motors with another power lift and see if the problem moves with the motor. While you have the motor out you can re-check the wiring on the motor and check the voltage to the motor.

Comment

GH, do you own an AMProbe? If so please check the amp draw as a ball runs through the lift. If you dont own one find one of your bowlers that is an eletrician.

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
            Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

GH, excessive heat in a motor is directly related to the input voltage and amperage draw (since the resistance of the windings stays constant). As the other gentlemen have stated, First I would double check the wiring of the motor and make sure that if it is a reversable motor that you don't have one of the wires on the wrong leg of the 220 (possibly causing the motor to be working against itself). Second, I would check the input voltage on both legs of the 220 power supplied, you should get between 107 and 115 on each leg, and from 215 to 225 across both legs. If these two things are correct, there is the possibility that you got a bad motor (some windings bad or internally on the verge of shorting (low resistance in the winding insulating coating)). If you can get an Amp Probe, also check the amp draw at no load and with load (a ball going through the lift).
              Sorry about the novel.
              Respectfully,
              A2-Ace

Comment

It's a Baldor motor.
                Always though about getting a amp probe,guess now's the time.
                As for the belt slipping....even swapping it to another lift it slips/makes noise so i got a belt from local auto store and it's fine now.
                This motor is the same in lanes 1&2,wired the same but it did work great for quite a long time then started giving up.I will check the wiring etc as suggested.The belt i got is a 92 inch that's for riding mowers,green belt,now if the older(but new)belt was slipping enough as to not let the ball(s)up the lift could that itself have created a weaker motor being that the motor is trying to lift the balls but when the belt slipped the ball(s)got stuck hense popping the klixon on the motor?If there's tooooo much belt tension then that would or could wear out the motor/lift bearings from all that excess tension?
                Curious to that.Thanks for all the input!!Really...Thanks!!

Comment

I had a similar problem many moons ago. I'll lay odds that you only have one leg of the 220v actually running that motor. It will work, but get VERY hot. Check the power at the breaker, too.
                  "I've got 3 boards to play... and they all have arrows on them."

Comment

Gearhead,
                    any luck yet with that motor?

[img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img]
                    Respectfully,
                    A2-Ace

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                    1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                    First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                    our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                    Working...
                    X