Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modular pinwheel

I have one of the modular pinwheels here. It has been in about 2 years now and lately has started to have pins sticking in it. After checking out the info available here at Bowl-tech, I am still puzzled by this POS pinwheel. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img] Guide rollers are not too tight, Pinwheel is clean, pins are clean, Only base first pins stick. I can turn the wheel by hand with a base first pin in it and stop it just before the t-pan, Pull down on the pin wiper and the pin stays in the wheel!! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] What am I missing?? Is it time to pull the plastic wheel? Is there a retro-fit to make it work? Why are there 10 hotdogs in a package and the buns come in packages of 8? Oh, sorry... that is one of those things us humans are to never understand!

billman
    let me be myself

Re: Modular pinwheel

Hey Bill,
    Hope everything is still going good your way. I read somewhere back that some of the inserts were giving people trouble. If I can find the thread I will let you know.

Drill
    Drill

David Bolt
    Champaign, IL
    USBC Silver Coach
    IBPSIA BOD
    IBPSIA Advanced
    Technical Certified
    Pro Shops

Comment

Bill...does this happen with all of the pockets? I had one that would only do it with one of the pockets. I couldn't get it to do it with the other 6. I replaced the pocket and all was fine.

I did have some pinwheels years ago have this happen, but they were the original pin wheel from Brunswick with bolt in pockets. The "sharp" corner on the leading edge of the bolt in insert would cause the surlyn to compress (as it isn't attached to the wood of the pin after some beating by bowling balls) as it slid to meet the edge. The surlyn would compress ever so slightly and then try to expand back out and wedge itself into the pocket. This would hold the pin in the pocket until it reached the turn pan, and sometimes after the turn pan. Turn pan jams were all over the place in this house. This showed up about 2 months after we installed new pins. It went away and never returned when we got our next round of pins. I don't know if the surlyn was a little thin on that batch of pins or what really caused the problem. We used Pam cooking spray to handle the problem while we had that round of pins. We sparayed it on that leading edge of the bolt in insert. Just a light spray and only on that edge. I don't know if this will help you out...but just something to think about.

Did you get a new round of pins recently?
      TSM & TSM Training Development
      Main Event Entertainment
      480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

I have even numbered each pocket!! No pattern to which pocket will stick. Pins have been in for about 9 months. Solid bellies on all of them. (unlike me! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] )

billman
        let me be myself

Comment

A few years ago, there was a problem with a vendor and some pin wheels were a bit out of spec. I believe Brunswick found a new vendor that was more quality-conscious... anyway, I had installed 4 of them in a small club and the pins would just get carried right over the turn pan before they would fall out. I ended up opening the pockets just a bit with a grinder and then coating the insides of the pockets with deck chute conditioner. End of problem.
          41 years and still learning....
          lanedoctor@hotmail.com

Comment

Billman
            I do PM at a center that has modular pin wheels and 2 lanes have the same problem,if you stop the pin wheel and pull the neck of a butt first pin out of the pocket just a little...boom ..there it is ..stuck!!and will not release until the ball track.I agree that there has to be something just in that wheel.It is going to be replced and I am going to compare the pockets.I will post if I see anything.IN the mean time I install a pin guide plate and a pin wheel cord to help keep pin in pocket correctly,this has made the problem more tolerant.
            Peanut

Comment

Billman,
              I done some repairs at a 12 lane center and when I was back there with the kid that worked there, I saw he had one of those wheels, and I think It was from quality If I remember right. I actualy watched several pins just keep, going all the way around with out falling out and they received complaints of pinsetter cycling slow because of It. Blew my mind!

Does anyone think raising the pinguide more than specs call for, would help that situation. Is that what you done with the pin guide plate peanut?
              Mike
              DO A NEAT CLEAN JOB, AND FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. THE ONLY WAY TO WORK.

Comment

MASTERMIKE,
                I never knew quality made a modular pin wheel.
                have they been making them very long. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]
                if things aren't going right just use a bigger hammer! DIRT

Comment

Old dirt man,
                  As I said, I think It was from quality If I remember right. Now I will have to look In my book and see.
                  It was awhile ago and I don't quite remember where It was from! Is'nt there other companies making them to?
                  Later bud
                  DO A NEAT CLEAN JOB, AND FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. THE ONLY WAY TO WORK.

Comment

Brunswick is the only company making the modular pinwheel...Quality makes the 1 piece pinwheel. Very solid and very well made. Murrey was selling them also but their supplier was forced to stop selling to them...wonder who put the pressure on the supplier?
                    TSM & TSM Training Development
                    Main Event Entertainment
                    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Personally i haven't had any bad problems with the modulars,i have noticed that YEARS ago the pockets seemed to be say,thinner and the ones i put in are thicker(it seems).I had to adjust the pinguide on the last one i put in to compensate for pins wanting to ride over the turn pan.Other than that i love them,nice and quiet(and over priced).
                      You'd think that if they are in fact thicker they would go thinner to save money,but there does appear to be a differance in them from say,5 years ago.
                      Does anyone use that guide roller kit it comes with?Not me,works great w/o it.
                      Use what you have to,to get it through the shift then fix it right.Do it right and live through the night...Safety first!

Comment

If you are using the roller kit supplied with the pin wheel, take it off. What worked for me in the past was to take the guide roller ass'y on the 10 side and invert it. Put the rollers on the top of the wheel instead of the side. Here's why..... On the modular pinwheel, it has a patterned 'shake' to it as the seams go over the rollers. By inverting the guide roller ass'y the pinwheel 'shakes' right at the turn pan, thus shaking the pin out of the pocket. It's a bit challenging to invert it, but proved most effective.

Mark
                        Mark
                        (919) 757-1789

Comment

Here's a theory: When the plastics company makes the pinwheel they make and or mold it in the individual sections. When the machine operator pulls the individual pocket from the mold he sets it in a staging area laying it flat on its side.[the side that would face you as you look at the pinwheel from the pit aisle... Now this operator begins to stack these sections maybe ten or more high... all well and good so far in the production world... What happens if the pin pockets aren't completely cool when they are being stacked????? Gravity should take over and being to distort the specs on the pocket... close up the gap where the pin sits...[and more so for the poor pocket on the bottom of the pile] when we install it we open that gap somewhat to align the spacers and bolts, but the pin area is still somewhat off...., and occassionally a pin gets carried over the pan and onto the bowling ferris wheel!!!

Maybe!!
                          jeff

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                          1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                          First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                          our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                          Working...
                          X