Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill jig loose

How do I go about tightening up a drill jig? I have an Ebonite jig with the two point hold down levers. When I tighten the set screws for the pitches the jig will still whobble as I drill into the ball.

--Doug
    If you don't like getting beat...get better.

Re: Drill jig loose

If it's anything like the old Brunswick jig that I have you can clamp the upper and lower plates together with C-Clamps. That will steady it up a little.

Another area of concern with an older machine is the arbor. It the arbor has play (check it all the way down) the bit will tend to drift in whatever direction the pitch is set to. This will throw off your spans and bridge width but it can be allowed for if you know the press is like that. It will also cause problems inside the hole on balls that have a soft core and hard weight block. Not too much can be done about that except get a new press.

- Tony

Comment

I was using it yesterday and I noticed exactly that...when the arbor was down it whobbled. I checked the thumb slug after and you could feel the ripples inside.
      So, you are saying that it's time for a new press?

--Doug

Comment

Pitboy, if your drill bits have the point off center, they will tend to wobble also. This could be due to un-profesional sharpening. This will also cause the holes to be slightly larger.
        willey.
        always doing my best.

Comment

Doug,

Bring the ball down to Broadway Lanes we gladly drill it for you!

John

Comment

Thanks John. ;-)

They got me this press and I decided to work on one of my own balls to make sure I understood it. Now it's down back having the thumb plugged.

--Doug

Comment

Pit, just call Mike Corley and tell him to get off his duff and get you a decent machine!! Colchester is still using a sidewinder, and I know for a fact that I improved there high tech ball sales by about 40% while I was there. Time for them to start spening a little $$ on those who have spent a lot of $$ on them!!

Comment

I just put in a request for a new press. Drilled a Roto last night and when I looked in the thumbhole I couldn't see the bottom it was so crooked. (well, ok, that's a slight exaggeration) But it was pretty bad. I have my eye on the second best Jayhawk for around 4 grand.

- Tony

Comment

Jack what you discribed about the drill moving in the direction of the pitch slightly is something I have witnessed a little on my drill - I no it does it so can adjust, and just have to take it real slow some times when drilling balls with a very hard core, or into a ball that has been plugged.

I have been thinking about getting a new press for a while, but $$$ is whats stopping that :p

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse