• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injuries

Hi Folks, I am curious as to any of you guys
    been hurt or injured in your center.
    My most memorible injury was when I
    had a ball return call. Turns out it was a underlane up at the approach, So I open the capping at the foul line, I run up to a ball rack to grab a house to knock the ball that got stuck in to the ball return. Anyway while I was getting the house ball the jackass bowler threw another ball down the lane and while that ball he threw was on it's way back,I stuck my hand down in the access door at the foul line and before you knew it my hand got slammed between the ball coming and the house ball I put down there to knock into the first ball that got stuck down there. Anything ever happen to you guys?

Re: Injuries

used a crapon once...never again [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

X-Mechanic,

I had a similar experience. It was summer time and the bowling center was closed. I was cleaning the ball tracks and the lane guy decided to turn on the lane I was cleaning to reset a full rack. Turns out that there was a 6 and a 16lb ball down there. Luckily I got hit with the 6lb ball...could have been ugly.

Fed-Up

Comment

X-
        Wow! deja' vu.
        Late eighties,had a buddy working at a center and he too was called to fish out an underground.
        Thing is,this guys'big time hard of hearing.
        Apparently,there musta' been a ball or two clammering around in the pit which broke free at the most inappropriate time.
        Long story short,he was not the benifactor of a 6& a 16,but received full measure of a couple of 16's.Split his left middle wide open & caused tendon damage too.
        Additional bummer was the guy was a 210-215 player!The guy loved the game too much to give it up(plus he's a hard head )back around 215 last I heard.Imagine that $11,000 settlement check eased a little discomfort...

Shortly after, he went back to his roots...
        auto body.
        fatty

Comment

All you safety conscience guy's will love this! About 6 years ago at my old center I replaced a badly worn ring tube. We had a small dumpster that the tube would not fit into, so cut it in half right? Went looking for the hack saw - no blades. Did'nt have a Sawz-all either. So I locked the tube in the bench vise, set the ARC welder on high and proceed to cut. New it would'nt take long. New it would be easy. Did'nt account for the "spring" of the tube when I cut through it. Cut the lower end first, tube sprung out and away - right through my pants AND my leg. Never felt a thing. Cut the upper half, cooled everything in water, dumped the tube and went up for a coffee. It was while walking up front that I felt the "sloshing" in my sneaker that made me look down at the nice 4 inch burn hole in my pants and dark matter below it. It was one ugly hole in my leg and one STUPID mistake I won't make again!

Comment

once brook a finger between a cup and the cupframe. a pin was stuc between the cup and the cupframe.lay down my lefthand on the cupframe just whre the nine pincup lays down when the mach is in sero.i removed the pin and the cups came back on spring tension so my hand was between the cupframe and the ninepin cup [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] and screaming for a few moments. finger is still looking a lite strance

THANKS EDJE

ps: [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] what a worse writing, time to go back to junior high and learn to write in english [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't remember the problem I was working on, but it required kneeling in an empty bin pocket (AMF 82/70's). My shin was on the two silver pin guides...no problem...until I slid down just a little, wedging my knee into the pocket with my kneecap stuck under the guides. No serious injury, but took about 20 minutes to work myself outta there! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

I think that whenever one of us is fishing out balls from that underlane return, there should be an announcement made over the PA - STOP YOUR DAMN BOWLING. City Tourney, spring jumps on the Sure pik, I fix it and open the key way to pull the balls up. As I take one out and set on the rack, the dumb ass bowls behind me, as I reach down to lift one of the 2 left down there, his ball comes back and slams my middle finger right on the knuckle between to 16 lbers. Blood spurts out of my finger. Being the good employee, I run up to the counter with his ball to clean the blood off it. went to the Hospital to splint it up (fracture) then had to go BACK to work to finish the tourney. they stuck me in the kitchen to keep me away from the bowlers... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

damn gear boxes were leakin oil all over the kicker belts.....so i was a good little cub scout and wiped the underside of the running kicker belts off with a towel.....you know...the little inviting portion between the upper lever and the carpet drive pulley

well...the tail of the towel got sucked under the carpet drive pulley and my finger with it...if you ever see a guy with two finger nails that grow together as one on his index finger....that's me [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

last time i was EVER a good little cub scout...lol

Comment

Eesh. This topic is getting pretty gory.
                    Once had a weak BE motor, no spare, and (then) no knowledge about what to do. So I reach ~under~ the big trapezoid guard rather than take it off to do the ol' jumpstart. Fingers went under the pulley. Just some bruise and skin tearage.

One thing is for sure, if yer gonna do the put-the-pin-through-the-shuttle routine for respots, make dern sure you hold onto that shuttle tight and PULL! A smushed hand put me off bowling and writing for a good week.
                    In a manual I have, the guy is holding the shuttle from the bottom, using only his fingertips to hold it. This is the infamous picture with a hinge holding a shuttle joint together. As I am weak and puny, think I'll grab it from the top and use my whole arm to pull rather than just fingers.

Comment

Bobby...STOP YOUR DAMN BOWLING?

Do what should have been done by everybody who has a story of underground injuries. Walk into the back and TURN THE DAMN MACHINES OFF. How hard is that? Safety first. Even if it requires an extra two minutes to solve the problem. I too, have been injured on the job. But everytime I got hurt, I blame only myself for being stupid. I would never dream of blaming a bowler for doing what I'm paid to be sure he doesn't.

[ April 03, 2001: Message edited by: JBEES ]
                      TSM & TSM Training Development
                      Main Event Entertainment
                      480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

25 years or so ago had to replace an upper ball lift bearing (82/70). What the heck, do it right in the machine. Remove belt, loosen collers on bearings (old style) remove old shaft and bad bearing,install new shaft and bearing,tighten everthing back up. Put belt back on. Put allen wrench in the set screws of the pulley just to make sure they are tight and someone turns the machine on. Jambs my hand between pulley spokes and upper yoke. The backend motor is doing a da da da da but won't blow overload and I am about 5 inches short of being able to reach motor switch on control panel. Skinned knuckles numb fingers and a very strong feeling of stupidity.

Comment

Got a story about our day manager. Before Ed and I were there he pinchased (still does) while running the front desk. One day some moron smashes the sweep. 8230 machines. The short link is bent backwards with the sweep just about at guard. Now I gotta say he has pretty bad eyesight, anyway he gets a couple of wrenches, loosens the bolt on the link and 604 arm. Problem is theres pressure on the sweep, so he gaets real close to see and taps the bolt out. Needless to say the 604 arm springs foward and catches him right above his eye. A whole lotta blood. He still has bad eyesight but luckily he still has both eyes. Be careful all the time.

J

Comment

Quote:]originally posted by X-mechanic:
                            i hope we've all learned a lesson[/QUOTE]

It taught me

"**** them bowlers" they can wait a couple more seconds/minutes while waiting for me to flip the switch or plug the motor in/out. they may have to wait 10 more secs.....but at least i dont have to go through countless surgeries to get full use of my finger back!!!

they always say you should look on the bright side....well

at least when the surgeon was continuing to slice my finger in half lengthwise and removing my finger nail so he could properly sew it back together....i had the CUTEST little nurse to lay my head on during the procedure [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] ....LOL

[ April 03, 2001: Message edited by: Coors ]

Comment

JBEES - I know it was my own damn fault for not making sure. Most of these bowlers don't have the first clue how this stuff works...but when we (I) do something stupid it always helps to blame someone else!! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                              I used to feel bad when a machine went down, especially during a tounament (City tourney - our time to shine and show off to non-house bowlers) Any extra down time gets talked about twice as much as the 8 previous shifts that finished early because there wasn't a stop the entire shift [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img] But I learned my lesson after that, Mech's safety ALWAYS comes first, that is the FIRST thing I tell these kids now when they start. You are never going to please most of those know-it-all-jackarses anyway! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

BB

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse