Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am curious about the very small scale bowling lanes and pinsetters. When I started tinkering in the small scale lanes in the late 1970's I started with 1/3 scale. My goal was to have somewhat realistic bowling in a home rec room type of setting. I wanted to capture realism, lane conditions, approach, release, pin action. But with even smaller scales, I would think that the goals would be different. I can imagine a miniature bowling alley with a number of lanes and pinsetters. I can also imagine all lanes operating with automatic 'bowler' mechanisms so that the lanes would be in continuous operation. This 'mechanical' AI bowler would line up for the strike ball and would know which pins remain and would position itself and throw the ball to try to pick up the spare. These could be very realistic dioramas of sorts. I would think that the possibilities are endless.

Comment

Originally posted by dhudach View Post
      I am curious about the very small scale bowling lanes and pinsetters. When I started tinkering in the small scale lanes in the late 1970's I started with 1/3 scale. My goal was to have somewhat realistic bowling in a home rec room type of setting. I wanted to capture realism, lane conditions, approach, release, pin action. But with even smaller scales, I would think that the goals would be different. I can imagine a miniature bowling alley with a number of lanes and pinsetters. I can also imagine all lanes operating with automatic 'bowler' mechanisms so that the lanes would be in continuous operation. This 'mechanical' AI bowler would line up for the strike ball and would know which pins remain and would position itself and throw the ball to try to pick up the spare. These could be very realistic dioramas of sorts. I would think that the possibilities are endless.
      You're unfortunately never going to get a very accurate game at such a small scale, the best you can do is match the weight ratios and everything but approach and spin likely aren't going to be at all achievable. It's another reason I'm going with candlepin, ball spin and approach is a much smaller part of the game so it all scales down a lot more accurately.

For me this whole thing is just following up on a childhood dream, when I was a kid I was always playing with little desktop bowling sets and dreamed of having an actual pinsetter with them and trying to build bits and pieces of one out of cardboard. Now that I'm an adult with CAD knowledge and a 3D printer, I can make it happen for real.

Comment

Agreed, realism is lost at scales below 1/3. With my 1/3 scale alley, realism is diminished. However, weight of pins and ball, distances are enough to offer decent ball movement and pin action. So there is a real sense of bowling at the 1/3 scale. But yes, below the scales where realism can truly be replicated, the reasons and goals here are different. For me too, and probably others, these projects represent an opportunity to realize childhood memories. When I was a kid in grade school I would go to the bowling alley with my dad on league night. I would do my homework then be allowed to go in the back with the mechanic. I would watch the Brunswick A2 machines all night. I've never attempted or given thought to building a pinsetter on scales below 1/3. I think it's a fascinating approach and beyond building the working machine, the possibilities of constructing a 'live' display are enticing, for sure.

Comment

One more question for ThirdDimensionAmusement, what kind of hardware are you using for freely-rotating hinge points? I believe I've got all the hardware I'll need for my project in the mail, but I realized I did forget that one connection type.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakkers View Post
            One more question for ThirdDimensionAmusement, what kind of hardware are you using for freely-rotating hinge points? I believe I've got all the hardware I'll need for my project in the mail, but I realized I did forget that one connection type.
            The system isn't letting me edit, but just clarifying, I see you're using the steel rods but I'm wondering what's typically done to cap them and hold them in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakkers View Post

The system isn't letting me edit, but just clarifying, I see you're using the steel rods but I'm wondering what's typically done to cap them and hold them in place.
              I use hardened steel rods to rotate the pin cups and slide them back and forth. The steel rods are simply held in place by the pin cups clamping onto them. The table has protrusions that have slots cut into them that the rods ride within to achieve the back and forth motion required to release the pins.

I use normal hardware store 1/8'' mild steel rod for anything that rotates; pit rollers, elevator sprockets, sweep torque shaft, etc. I use custom printed collars to retain the shafts.

I also use various M3 hardware, including heat set brass inserts, for the linkages and pivots that drive nearly everything. Every linkage in my machine pivots on an m3 bolt.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
              Working...
              X