Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenScore 1.0 Beta Released

Hey folks,

Many of you have waited patiently and I have decided to turn out a release of the OpenScore beta software. Keep in mind that this codebase is still in development. It won't blow up your PC, but don't be surprised if you see a few glitches as we iron some things out for cross platform compatibility. We have a lot of features that are still on the roadmap but I personally believe that the current feature base is more than sufficient for a first beta release.

Keep in mind that the officially supported operating system for now is Windows. We do provide a source download for Mac and Linux clients, and we will be working to provide a user-friendly installer for those operating systems after the baseline is completed. So for those of you who asked, we haven't forgotten about you!

The entire Windows kit is about 10MB since it includes all of the prerequisites.

Mac/Linux guys, if you want to run from source, you'll need the following:
    Python 2.6+, PySerial, PyGame, Numpy, Vidcap, PIL (python imaging library).

Most USB webcams should be supported as stated in the introductory videos.

Software and documentation can be seen at

http://openscore.catster.net/

After the setup process completes, please refer to http://openscore.catster.net/index.php/help for more setup information (such as configuring the camera pin detection). That is the hardest part of the whole thing besides getting camera alignment correct.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM or email me at jimmy[at]catster.net

Current Features
    • Automatic Pin Detection
    • Frames per Turn
    • 7,8,9 pin no tap
    • Black / White light profiles for interchangeability
    • Pindication (as seen on older AMF systems)
    • Score Correction
    • Split Detection

Upcoming Features
    • Online Tournament System
    • Head to Head Remote Bowling
    • Live match updates on OS website
    • Bowler Profiles & Stats
    • Optical Auto-Triggering System (so you don't have to hit 's')
    • Strike / Spare graphics (thanks to dberber for contributing!)
    • and LOTS more
    So yeah, check it out! Thanks a ton to Chad at Basement Bowling and the rest of our alpha testers for helping me iron out the bugs since the codebase is rapidy growing!

-- Jimmy

Hi Jimmy awesome to hear you have completed the first version. I just downloaded the scoring system to my desktop. I received a runtime error message that said the super duper awesome scoring system of doom was asked to terminate in an unusual way. Unfortunuately my computer has been having a lot of those runtime errors lately. I am sending my computer to the doctor soon for a checkup and surgery to get rid of the hemorrhoid I have in it called Vista, upgrading to 7. I will try it on my laptop a little later and give you an update, thats on windows 7.
    If it can't be fixed with a hammer, try a bowling pin! They're heavier and more surface area for whacking!

Comment

No go for me either...

2012-07-08 01:23:15 root ERROR: Exception encountered. OpenScore will now close:
      2012-07-08 01:23:15 root ERROR:
      Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "bowlingscorer.py", line 30, in <module>
      File "scorer\bowlingscorer.pyo", line 84, in main
      File "scorer\bowlingscorer.pyo", line 202, in __init__
      SystemExit

Comment

If either of you have openscore.log in the program files / openscore directory then email to jimmy@catster.net!

Thanks!

Comment

Alright, to those of you having the issue with it failing due to a "Permission Denied" error, it sounds like your problem is Windows UAC not giving rights to the program to write to the log files or config files. What you need to do is right click bowlingscorer.exe in C:\Program Files\OpenScore and go to 'Properties', hit the 'Compatibility' tab, check the box that says 'Run As Administrator' and hit OK. This will always run the program in administrator mode so you have access to those files.

If you don't want to do that, you can also run it as administrator each time by right clicking OpenScore in your Start Menu (Under Programs / OpenScore) and hitting Run As Administrator.

Either way, this is something I hope I can automate in the installer package so it won't be an issue.

Comment

Thanks to Jimmy's help I got it working. I took a quick little vid at work. Keep in mind we're a manual scoring center which is why I'm having some fun with it in the first place! Oh, and please excuse my language... I may have used the word "B*tch" at one point.

http://youtu.be/RT32xqPMkIA

Comment

Shoot man, you got it working, I just asked questions, hahah. Sounds like you figured it out! I'm working on making things a bit easier to navigate and diagnose... things get funky when you compile python code down to an exe, in some parts, so I'm running trying to keep up :P

Glad you got it going, now we just have to write the candlepin scoring module! You may want to pick up a python programming book

Comment

Yah jimmy, It was just the camera not being ready to go when I opened the program!

Comment

Hey jimmy, do you think ball detection (score triggering) could be done with a second camera instead of with a beam? This way everything is done simply with usb plug and play type devices...

Comment

Originally posted by Candlepin_Guy View Post
                    Hey jimmy, do you think ball detection (score triggering) could be done with a second camera instead of with a beam? This way everything is done simply with usb plug and play type devices...
                    This is a great idea. Here's a breakdown of how that might work:

1. OpenScore needs to be modified to determine which camera is which (be it the deck camera or the cross beam camera) and have the user be able to specify
                    2. OpenScore needs to look for a break in pixels on the cross beam camera... so basically the camera is on one side staring at a white piece of paper on the other side. The key here is speed and catching the frame when the ball rolls past... this can be tricky depending on the camera.

Here's a cheap way or two of doing it:

1. Scan the deck every few seconds. If the pin count changes, trigger a delay and then score the deck for real. This will have issues with gutter balls obviously which leads to option number 2:
                    2. Run a motion detection algorithm to detect when things move in the cameras picture to trigger a score.

Both of these options will have to have logic implemented so it doesn't keep scoring when you're clearing deadwood... and this also has issues if you're running laser/dj lights if they cross the path of the beam or camera view. Thoughts?

Comment

Jimmy,

I was thinking about doing the same exact thing except only using the one main scoring camera. I haven't had lunch yet, so maybe my brain isn't working, but here's what I was thinking

I am positioning my camera about 69 1/2" from the center 7-10 line. With this angle, I can see the ball moving towards the pins. If you run a motion detection algorithm and follow the path of the ball, you can approximately tell that this would be a "ball thrown" condition...even if the ball was in the gutter or hit the pins it should be detectable. You could also do some crude speed calculations based on this, then take a picture of the deck after some time has elapsed. If the ball was returned via the lane or the gutter, this should be a non-detection since the movement vector would be pointing the opposite direction of the throw. Thoughts? I'm sure I'm not thinking about something...

-Chris

Originally posted by Compy View Post
                      This is a great idea. Here's a breakdown of how that might work:

1. OpenScore needs to be modified to determine which camera is which (be it the deck camera or the cross beam camera) and have the user be able to specify
                      2. OpenScore needs to look for a break in pixels on the cross beam camera... so basically the camera is on one side staring at a white piece of paper on the other side. The key here is speed and catching the frame when the ball rolls past... this can be tricky depending on the camera.

Here's a cheap way or two of doing it:

1. Scan the deck every few seconds. If the pin count changes, trigger a delay and then score the deck for real. This will have issues with gutter balls obviously which leads to option number 2:
                      2. Run a motion detection algorithm to detect when things move in the cameras picture to trigger a score.

Both of these options will have to have logic implemented so it doesn't keep scoring when you're clearing deadwood... and this also has issues if you're running laser/dj lights if they cross the path of the beam or camera view. Thoughts?
                      Check out my YouTube videos: http://www.youtube.com/cmp128

Comment

Could you have it so the motion detect is a user defined area of the captured image? Like a small rectangle shaped area? So when you're calibrating the camera you set the pin detection points and where and how big the motion detect area is? (Probably a thin rectangle that spans the lane from gutter to gutter placed just in front of the pins.)

Or am I getting a little too crazy?

Comment

Cmp128 your idea is great! A lot better than mine cause then it wouldn't score if say a pin bounces into that area or a ball rolls up for whatever reason...

Comment

Hi Jimmy,
                            I downloaded the program, but I only get the main page and when I select the Add bowlers page, that's all I can do, it won't leave that page. What do i do to get to the score page once i enter the bowlers? Also the window is only half the size of my computer screen and doesn't maximize to full screen. What am I not doing? Thanks!

Oh...I am running Windows 7 on a new laptop I just got. It is a Samsung.
                            --- SteveJT66

82/70's,kickers,Kegel Kustodian

Comment

now i somehow got to the score screen, for some reason the enter button didn't work the first several times.....but the screen is about 1/2 my computer screen size...
                              --- SteveJT66

82/70's,kickers,Kegel Kustodian

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X