Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New place to buy MINI PINS

Check out these half scale pins http://www.mccorveysproshop.com/pin-...jqlvrn8dq4luh4 A little on the high side ($14.99 plus shipping but very cool looking. Could be fun to have a couple in your set of 10.

Sweet looking pins. Looks like shipping is $10, free if you spend over $50.
    www.BasementBowling.com

Comment

I am going to order a few of them tomorrow and I will let you guys know how they look.
      If it can't be fixed with a hammer, try a bowling pin! They're heavier and more surface area for whacking!

Comment

Are you guys going to use them to bowl with or just decoration? They don't seem to have the nylon reinforcement ring on the bottom.....
        --- SteveJT66

82/70's,kickers,Kegel Kustodian

Comment

It took a day for the company to get back to me to find out what they had in stock. They only had four of the designs left. He explained to me that they placed a bulk order about 2 years ago, and they were unable to select which designs of pins they could order. Of course the nice ones went fast. Because they were not able to select which pins they wanted, they doubt they will be ordering more, but he was not entirely sure about that. I ordered 1 color each of the 4 he did have, and they should be here sometime next week. In answer to Steve's question, it depends. If they are similar to the Linds pins in durability, then yes, but I will keep at least one for decoration. Once I receive them, I will let you know.
          If it can't be fixed with a hammer, try a bowling pin! They're heavier and more surface area for whacking!

Comment

Anyone know what the going rate for a set of Linds pins is these days?

Comment

Earlier this year it was $75.00 for a set of 10, balls were $18 each.

Comment

Still $75.00 as of today. I passed on the balls, I picked up a set of 3 Ebonite Tornado candlepin balls off eBay for $18.

Comment

For some reason, the price for the mini pins isn't proportional to the full size pins. If the volume is about 1/4 of that of a full size pin, maybe a little less like 1/5, why isn't the price about 1/4 of that of full size pins. I believe the going rate for the full size pins is about $120 for a box of 10.
                  --- SteveJT66

Comment

Keep in mind when you buy a product, the cost of material is only PART of the cost. They gotta factor in the labour involved, any initial tooling needed and stuff like that (I'm no expert.)
                    Then of course they got to add some more which is their profit. I don't imagine it costs too much less to make a half scale pin compared to full scale. The difference you see in price probably is the difference in amount of materials needed.

Comment

I think a lot of it is supply and demand. They would sell many more full scaled pins then the half scale. And there are more options out there for the full sized pins. When you dont have people to compete with you can charge what you like

Comment

Steve, to add insult to injury, it is precisely 1/8 of the material needed to make a half scale vs. full scale pin. To simplify, if you had a 2" x 2" X 4" square block, and you wanted to double it in size, you would need a total of 8 blocks that are 2"x 2" x 4" to double the size. But yes, it's all about supply and demand. If Walmart was to sell the pins, they would buy such quantity to where they would probably get it down to around $20 a case (this is a very rough guess.)

LINDS BALLS GETTING HEAVIER: I had recently broke into my new balls that I had purchased a few months ago, and they seemed to be a lot heavier. I weighed my old balls and compared them to my new balls. The old balls weighed 1 pound, 9 oz where the new balls I have weighed in at 1 pound, 15 oz. In comparison to their full scale equals, the old balls weigh approximately 12 1/2 pounds, where the new balls compare to their 15 1/2 pound equal.

Comment

Hey Andy, yes, that sounds right, I was just guessing. And yes, it would be great if we could get Walmart to sell them and then get them for say at least $40 a case, I'd be happy with that!!! Maybe Linds discovered that the original balls were a bit too light in weight. According the what I calculated with my 2 lb. 4 oz balls from Epco, they equaled about 16 lbs. I used the weight difference between the full size pins, and half scale pins and did the ratio of Epco balls to the full size balls. The original Linds balls deflected too much for my taste. They are great for little kids like my great nephews, who are about 5 yrs. old.
                          --- SteveJT66

Comment

Okay, here is the official review of "Pin Heads"

I received my four pins last week. Each pin comes in a very nice display box (sorry, I have no idea how to make the pics appear large, click on image to make bigger)`

I removed the pins from the boxes, they look pretty sweet. The paint on the pins seems to be very durable. I clanked two of them together, and it sounded like hard plastic or a ceramic material. The pin weighed approximately 8 ounces, 1 ounce heavier than their Linds counterpart. With the exception of the base being slightly wider than their Linds counterparts, everything else seemed to match right up with the Linds pins until I tried them in one of my pincups. The pin fit into the pincup, which is made out of 2 1/2" schedule 40 pvc, but it was very snug and would not release from the pincup, seeing as how most of the scale bowlers have some sort of setting table/ deck, this could be a problem. If you are using 2 1/2" schedule 80 pipe, it might work. I noticed there was a small plastic cap on the bottom of the pin. I pulled the cap off of the pin, and saw there was a hole. the hole measured approximately 5/8" wide and 7" deep.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0169.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	882489Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0186.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	882490Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0173.jpg
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	882491

I thought how in the world can a pin like this withstand the impact of a bowling ball? I pictured it would explode kind of like when Superman blew on that bowling ball and shattered the pins. I decided to take it to the AMBC (American Mini Bowling Congress) test and experiment center based in Northern California (aka my house) and give it a thorough text. After the third ball impact, the plastic bottom piece flew off the pin. Further testing was completed without the plastic bottom in place. After 45 high speed ball impacts, it finally broke into three pieces, but what broke is not what the lab technicians (me) thought would break. Here is the test video.

The pin did a lot better I thought it would. After that many impacts, there were only a few scratches and nicks on the pin, something I would consider normal wear and tear. I was suprised how the paint was not flaking off of the pins, it was virtually non-existant.

Name:	DSC_0187.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	882493Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0188.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	882492

Ability for camera scoring systems to read and score pins was not tested at the AMBC, as the scorer was disassembled during the pinspotter upgrade, and I haven't made it to the city yet to pick up a camera for openscore. Take this into consideration if you are using a camera scorer for scoring, there may be the possibility of mis-scoring.

As far as availability of these pins in the future are concerned, it is not looking very good. On the box there is a website www.toyzoneinc.com, out of Azusa, CA. I looked up the website, and the domain is for sale. I did try other searches, I did find some on ebay under "Kustom Kulture pin head". From what I can tell, they are no longer in production. If you want a few, I would buy them now before you can no longer find them.

In summary, this seems to be a somewhat durable pin, but whether they can hold up to their Linds counterparts, only time will tell. There will be no further testing at the AMBC, as they will not work in current pinspotter designs. I believe that this would be a great pin in Monte Carlo games or any other game that requires the use of colored pins, or a pin to use as a decoration. Here are the official ratings:

Durability
                            Graphics
                            Use in current pinspotters

Thank you,
                            AMBC Staff, Ultimateandy
                            Last edited by theultimateandy; 07-29-2012, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Ooops, here is the pic of the package that did not upload and too late to edit into original.

Name:	DSC_0165.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	882494

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X