Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building A 1/6th Scale Pinspotter/Setter

Hi guys!

Since a LOT of us apartment dwellers do not have the room, plus the noise factor for half-scale, 1/6th seems appropriate. 60 feet from foul line to head pin is 10 feet! Even that may be too large. 11 feet total. Maybe two five and a half foot sections would be wise. Drawing that up, I wondered if maybe twin lanes, 6 ft long each would work? Too short? This Rack 'N Roll Bowl is five feet and IS too short.

But that would make it easy to want an A-2 in 1/6th. I've also started drafting the GSX into 1/6th as well. Bowltech is not allowing me to put pix in today. I'll check back. Just wanted to let ya know, I'm still doin' stuff. I can work with one eye. It's my attitude that needs a boost. Ever since Stephie passed away (2005), I don't get excited a lot about stuff.

Being retired, though, I have too much time to kill. So, I break out my 8270 frames and ponder.

Doug

Really glad to see you back and looking forward to seeing what you build. I've looked through your threads before and always was amazed at what you were building in the 1/6th scale.

Comment

Thank you Coasterp! Looking at the 8270 table:

Click image for larger version

Name:	8270 Table-01.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	884840Click image for larger version

Name:	8270 Table-02.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	884841

You can see the basic attachment points. Then look at my template:

Name:	82-70 Table Template.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	884842

After the holes have been drilled in the plastic (3 layers), these need to be epoxied in the correct places:

Name:	Nylon Nose Gear.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	884843 Click image for larger version

Name:	L-Bracket.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	884844

Looking like both will be used. Not sure which. They will have to be shimmed for the correct height. You see my finished spotting cup. That is a Dura Collar it is attached to:

Name:	Cup Attachment.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	884845 Click image for larger version

Name:	82-70 Spotting Cups.JPG
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	884846

Those will work and not get in each other's way. The connecting link will be bent around the cups as you see here in my 1/12th scale 8270:

Name:	Connecting Link.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	884847

I will still need to cut the soda bottle tops in half, and use them as guides, as you see in the picture. You see them here:

Name:	Mini Lane.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	884848

The A-2 Project is being drafted as we speak. The Pit Board should be a breeze.

Name:	A-2 Pit Board.jpg
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	884849
      You see how it sits in place here:

Name:	A-2 Pit-02.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	884850 Click image for larger version

Name:	A-2 Pit-01.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	884851

What I need is the Rake Shaft measurements and the Sweep Link measurements:

Name:	Rake Shaft.jpg
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	884852
      Then the measurements for the frame. I may have to do this myself, if I can find an A-freakin'-2 somewhere! 10 minutes, I'll have it. No screwing around. The lift shaft is next. It fits between the frames, so I know that is 60 inches. The length of the lift ARMS is what I need. The deck post height also.

Right now, I also have the GSX on the drawing board. The frame for THAT beast...I have no idea. I have a couple good guys helping me with that. JBEES and Renobowler300 are champs here! I need to find out where that Sweep Shaft is placed. How high and how far back. Then then length of the Sweep Shaft. The Pusher Rod is bent at a 45-degree angle. I need to find the dimensions of that, plus the Sweep itself is an L-shaped affair. So I need the length of the piece with the vertical guide rollers, and how tall the Sweep is.

I need the length of the sweep crank and wheel as well. What are THEY attached to? Yeesh. I'm committed to this. Or I'll be committed because of this, I don't know...

Doug

Comment

For the GSX sweep, as far as the links connecting the pusher to the sweep wagon, the 7 side link is bent at an angle and the 10 side is not. This is due to the fact that the sweep is picked up on the 7 side and there is a protruding pin/roller/whatever on that side of the sweep wagon that this link must clear when the sweep is raised.

Comment

Looks great!! Where did you get the small Brunswick pins from?
          --- SteveJT66

82/70's,kickers,Kegel Kustodian

Comment

Originally posted by Stevejt66 View Post
            Looks great!! Where did you get the small Brunswick pins from?
            I got 'em from eBay. $75 total! I got 'em one at a time! Right now, there are 34 up for auction. A bit spendy, but the same pins...

Doug

Comment

What are they made of, wood or plastic? They look so real!!

Originally posted by ModelTech View Post
              I got 'em from eBay. $75 total! I got 'em one at a time! Right now, there are 34 up for auction. A bit spendy, but the same pins...

Doug
              --- SteveJT66

82/70's,kickers,Kegel Kustodian

Comment

They do, don't they? LOL! Wood. They are PERFECT replicas! You're talking about these:

Name:	Mini Bowling Red Crowns.jpg
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	884860

What I need is several more sets of Diamond Duramid pins from that Mini Bowling game they made so many years ago. I've got 13 colored pins:

Name:	Mini Bowling Color Pins.jpg
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	884861 I'm glad I got these! They were keychains.

I really need to spend a hundred bucks or so on brass stock:

Name:	Brass Stock.jpg
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	884862

A bunch of everything they have. Tubing, square, round, rectangular, plus L-shaped, U-shaped, flat. Plus a new Dremel tool. I'm not wealthy like I used to be. LOL! Retired on a V.A. Pension, don't ya know...

Doug

Comment

My GOSH! Look at the number of views on these model threads! OMG! Now, I'm a nervous wreck! LOL! Is there THAT much interest?? Woo...!

Doug

Comment

Ya know guys, making templates out of cardboard for these projects is a MUST. I did it for my 82/70. I had NO idea I was going to do a GSX. I had planned on an A-2 anyway. Thing I found out is, the Brunswick A-2 and the AMF 82/70 have completely different kickbacks! The AMF one ends at the tailboard. Then this is installed:

Name:	AMF 8270 Back End.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	884865

The A-2 however, the kickback extends all the way to the end of the Pit Board:

Name:	A-2 Pit.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	884866

The GSX...I have NO idea. The only two pix I have are these:

Name:	GSX Table.jpg
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	884867 Click image for larger version

Name:	Sweep Wagon & Table.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	884868

They're the rectangular kickbacks. Can't really see how far back they go. Three different kickbacks. So, that's where I'm at for now. This week I should get to Home Depot and have them made up. First, I need measurements. I hate asking you guys to do that for me, because I know how busy you are. Been there, done that! LOL!

I have a long way to go. I still have to get a new Dremel. Spendy little suckers, but a necessary evil. I found an old VCR FULL of wonderful parts! Got another "parts" box put together. It's almost empty, but I'm adding to it! Plus, I'm finding the GSX has a lot of chain-driven parts. I need to find out how to model THIS in 1/6th:

Name:	GS Table Lift Mech.jpg
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	884869

Maybe just a nylon cord and pulley on both sides. I also need to find out how many attachment points are on that Table, besides the two racks. What keeps it stable? Looking at the above left pic, I see the square shaft for the respot cells. Not sure about the rest...

OK. We rock ON!

Doug

Comment

Modeltech,

Check out this thread: http://www.bowltech.com/forums/showt...eing-installed

I think it will answer many of your questions.

Comment

Nice,Coasterp! Yeah. That does tell me a lot. The kickback I am using for a template was modeled on one that was 60" x 24" x 2.5". That was for the 8270/MC-2. I think the A-2's extends 48" beyond that. Not sure. But, that might work for the GSX. Still waiting for Sweep measurements. Then I'll get measurements for the Table.

Doug

Comment

Oh! Coasterp, thank you for your help! Ahh, Steve is da MAN! Got most of it. I can assemble pieces of cardboard cut to 1/6th, so I'll have a template. I really went all out on the AMF 82/70, because I had it right there. I got that table practically blueprinted! Sweep, too, as you know. We measured that at 33 inches for the top & bottom arms, and 16 inches for each inside link.

So, the first piece will be the GSX's Sweep Shaft. That sits on top of the beast. We can do the same thing we did here:

Name:	Sweep Torque Tube.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	884874You see the center pic. Same deal. Gotta get the GSX arm lengths next. Then how wide it is. Then I can have an idea of inner frame size. But that thing sits on top, bolted to two uprights, the left side is slanted forward. So I know I need tubing and the rectangular stuff:

Name:	Rectangular Brass Stock.jpg
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	884875

I can get tubing in any size, but I think I'll order the same stuff we used above. On the AMF 82/70, I measured the Sweep Pivot Points on the frame:

Name:	8270 Sweep Pivot Points.jpg
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	884876 That drawing is not exact. The main pivot and the link pivot should be in a straight line. I have it too far forward.

The frame is partly removed for this view, but I redrew it to show the sweep at its rearmost position. You can see how each link is extended:

Name:	8270 Sweep Rearward.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	884877
                          Without those being pretty close to exact, the sweep doesn't work. I did however, get it to work in 1/12th, by trial and error. We're gonna order brass. Lots of it. I am currently saving for a big K & S purchase. Also a big Dubro purchase as well. Plus a bunch of 4-40 threaded rod and these ball links:

Name:	4-40 Rod & Ball Link.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	884878

These are essential too:

Name:	90 Degree Bellcrank 2.jpg
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	884879 Click image for larger version

Name:	2 mm Quick Link.jpg
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	884880 You can see how these will be used on the A-2.

But they can also be used in many other applications. Can you imagine a few applications for these?

Name:	1 1-4 inch Steering Arm.jpg
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	884881 Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro Bellcrank.jpg
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	884882

I should mention that bellcrank on the right is small enough to be used in the tightest spots. It's a Micro. Things can be done with these. Now, the table. Yeah, I know. If I have to make that 82/70 table out of BRASS, I'm gonna do it! That may be the way to go with the GSX. Look at that rectangular brass stock. Noodle that for a few. Yeah. But the '70 is still in template stage:

Name:	82-70 Table Template.JPG
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	884883

But as I was fitting my "hole plotter", ding, Ding, DINGGG! Here, see anything familiar?

Name:	82-70 Table Template Hole Placement.JPG
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	884884

Well, maybe not. It is shaped a bit different:

Name:	Crated.jpg
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	884885 Click image for larger version

Name:	GS Table & Cups.jpg
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	884886 Click image for larger version

Name:	GS Table.jpg
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	884887

You can see how brass would be very useful here. I need a drill press for that. The cups can be made from plastic. Styrene is my plastic of choice, but go here and you can decide which is best:

http://www.plastruct.com/

These guys carry stuff like this in plastic:

Name:	Styrene Parts Collage.jpeg
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	884888

You can see the potential! Several hundred dollars will be spent there, lemme tell ya! LOL! So, looking at the GSX:

Name:	GSX Setter.jpg
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	884889

I don't need the big wheel. I need the little wheel and crank. That's gonna be hand operated. I need to noodle that table. I don't need the distributor. I've got a much simpler idea. A hand-loader that loads the pins in a horizontal position. But that FRAME! OMG. The outer frame, the inner frame (drive frame), GAHHHhh! Sheet brass out the Yin-Yang! And what is attached to what? And where?

The rack & pinions for the GSX Table Lift...I found some interesting parts in this old VCR I tore apart! Very interesting! Easily adaptable. Maybe not accurate, but I ain't gonna have you guys twisted up like an acrobat taking measurements! I'll get the basics. I can make it look real from the front. That's what Andy did in his 4-lane Lego GSX. But, I do want to be accurate where I can.

OK, I've been at this all day. I'll check in tomorrow, if I have anything to add...

Doug

Comment

I guess I'll bump this. You guys have asked...

Doug

Comment

OK, this is for 1/6th. Thanks for looking guys!

Doug

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse