Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCARS

For those of you that like Star Trek TNG, Voyager, sci-fi in general or are on a mission from the future, under cover and are following the temporal prime directive, you would probably already know what LCARS stands for; for those of you that don't, LCARS stands for Library Computer Access/Retrieval System. Up until about a year ago I hadn't given the idea of mimicking the LCARS a second thought until I started to get more involved with MS Access. The simplicity of the layout and general appeal of the futuristic nature of the system motivated me to do my best to recreate its look using Access.

I'll be the first to admit I'm NOT a programmer, nor do I intend to be, so although the pictures don't show any VBA, know that if you are a programmer and did look at it you'd shake your head...lol. Access doesn't make customization at this level easy; in fact, there are probably other, more efficient ways to achieve the same results using flash or something else that could be enabled in Access, but for me this was the upper limit of my knowledge and experience.

The purpose was to build a functional, controlled and user friendly GUI for the back end staff to use with an aesthetically modern look that would be unique. It is in its infancy and is by no means complete or bug free. An example is the call data; because I'm at the ass end of the world, our date format is "dd/mm/yyyy". Access doesn't always appreciate date entry's being formatted in ways other than "mm/dd/yyyy" or "yyyy/mm/dd". So it's often overlooked and becomes necessary to format the date entry's to those that Access doesn't have a problem with. It's a problem that's easily solved, so when I have the time I'll fix it up, but for now, here are some photo's of day two in operation...

The information in the call data isn't correct. The code logic is wrong so the FPS and linage is off.

Trouble call category selection.

If the call relates to a pin position, this is what you'll see. You can select multiple pin spots.

I've loaded the entire Brunswick (electronic) parts catalog, mistakes and all, lol, so you can search the pinsetter assemblies without the need to provide the part number. You can zoom in and move up, down, left and right by touching any area of the page. The right frame shows 6 parts I'd already selected by keying in the index number.

Until the system is stable and more functional I won't add my stock list.

The mini PC driving the Win7 PC and touch screen.

Last edited by Kanga (James); 04-08-2012, 08:43 AM.
    Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
    Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
    Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
    Kegel C.A.T.S

For not being a programmer, you do pretty good. I'm very impressed with what you have so far and would be very interested in seeing the finished product.
    I (along with many others) consider myself a computer geek, and have toyed with the idea of doing something like you did with the parts manual, but I am more of a hardware guy than a code geek, so never have done anything with it.
    If you need some input, ideas, or help that I can provide please give me a holler.
    You don't have to be crazy to do this job...But it helps!

Comment

OMG THAT IS AWESOME!!!!

I too am an LCARS geek, have several animations for screensavers, etc. If that was a touch screen it would be even more LCARS-like.
      Last edited by Tablejam; 04-09-2012, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Will do Cuda, thanks for the offer.

Oh, and Tablejam, it is a touchscreen.
        Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

that is pretty neat kanga!

......if you are leaving the plastic film on your computer then you remind me of my parents!...they leave that film on anything that comes with it! They think it will make things last longer or look nicer longer! lol
          Last edited by Mechanick; 04-09-2012, 04:43 AM.
          Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Kanga View Post

Oh, and Tablejam, it is a touchscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanick View Post
              that is pretty neat kanga!

......if you are leaving the plastic film on your computer then you remind me of my parents!...they leave that film on anything that comes with it! They think it will make things last longer or look nicer longer! lol
              Lol. I do do that sometimes, but THIS time I just forgot.
              Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

That is the most awesome thing I have ever seen!

Comment

Kanga, I would love to see the animations...can you post some vids?

Comment

I'll record something tomorrow and upload it after work.
                    Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Thank you Sir, looking forward to it.

Comment

This is what there is so far. There are several errors in the animation due to the use of triggers for the code but that will be fixed later.

I just added the ability to Bluetooth (or email, if you're unfortunate enough to own an iPhone ) the meter readings and trouble calls, and it will automatically refresh the main screen information.
                        Last edited by Kanga (James); 04-16-2012, 05:01 AM.
                        Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

ALL I can say is wow

Comment

holy crap! that is awesome sound effects, touchscreen and all!
                            Nick

Comment

That......is..........awesome!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X