Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SETI @ HOME

I have recently downloaded the "seti@home" software from Berkeley dot edu. I thought it might be interesting to see how it runs and make an evaluation.
    My first experience with seti@home wasn't very good. In fact, it crashed two computers. The first computer was a Windows 95 Gateway laptop, running Windows 98. The second computer was a Compaq desktop, running Windows 98SE. In both computers, coming out of screensaver would crash the operating system. In the case of the Gateway, it crashed the system beyond reasonable repair, and made it into a door stop. In the case of the Compaq, it too crashed the operating system to the point of reinstalling Windows 98SE. I believe that I know how it happened.

Both computers were lacking in the amount of RAM (factory minimums) they contained. Since then, I have shied away from running any program that operates as a screensaver. Until now.

Basically, any screensaver eliminated burn-in on all CRT type monitors; however, with the advent of the new (LCD & LED) flat screens, a screensaver is unnecessary; but are fun to watch.

I have downloaded the app for my Mac OS X (Lion) and my Windows XP machines. Both machines have an abundance of RAM: 8 gigs worth. I'm in the process of getting my Linux (Natty Narwhal) machine back on-line; and will try it there.

Back to the app. It can be downloaded from http://setiathome.berkeley.edu There is a version for almost any computer system. However, I would recommend a minimum of 4 gigs for a Linux or Windows XP machine; and 8 gigs for anything else (Windows Vista, 7, 8 or Macs running OS X Lion or Mountain Lion). The app doesn't appear to do much, except analyze two year old data; but, it's fun to watch; and very easy to set up. Just follow the on-screen prompts.
    Last edited by SoCalTom; 06-14-2012, 01:57 AM. Reason: link spelling

I ran that software for a couple years a while back. I was intrigued about how they developed the algorhythms to filter out extraneous signals. Then, to look at the 'suspect' signals, and how they determined their origin was both disappointing and interesting. Me, I'm one who thinks there are millions of planets that have life. But very few where it could have followed our rock's evolution very closely or to any parallel to where we are today.
    This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

I'm with Ted. I did this for quite a few years back when they first started the project. When they moved to the BOINC software, I wasn't as enthused about it as I was when it was a standalone product. I now only use a company laptop for my computer work so I can't run the software anyway. Maybe someday I will put something back together and get back involved with it. The BOINC software allows you to run other projects like Global Warming predictions...and that too is kind of interesting to watch.
      TSM & TSM Training Development
      Main Event Entertainment
      480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

I like protein folding. I had it on the PS3 (it runs on all computer platforms too): http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
          Me, I'm one who thinks there are millions of planets that have life. But very few where it could have followed our rock's evolution very closely or to any parallel to where we are today.
          Simple statistics prove that we're not alone in this universe. There may not be sentient life, as we know it, in our solar system; but, there are millions of stars in our galaxy, and around a few thousand of those stars are planets in the "habitable" zone that could support life. We have to be extremely arrogant to believe that we are alone.

Comment

Actually got to visit the Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico this past fall. The walk getting up the hill wore me out .
            This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

As stated in the movie "Contact" by David Morse:

"If it's just us, it seems like an awful waste of space."
              TSM & TSM Training Development
              Main Event Entertainment
              480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Stafford (JBEES) View Post
                As stated in the movie "Contact" by David Morse:

"If it's just us, it seems like an awful waste of space."
                Excellent movie; written by Carl Sagan and produced by his widow. I've read the book and saw the movie (I have it on DVD) and the movie is almost word for word by the book. ("2001 - A Space Odyssey" is very similar in matching the movie to the book. "2010 - The Odyssey Continues" is another movie that closely matches the book, almost word for word. I have those movies on DVD too, as well as the books.)

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                Working...
                X